Plumbing up a drop-in propane stove / cooktop

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Plumbing up a drop-in propane stove / cooktop

Postby GeoDrop » Mon May 16, 2011 4:42 pm

We bought one of the 3-burner Wedgewood Vision cooktops for our teardrop. I tried the long & hard route of connecting a propane bottle to it, failing in the process. In the end, the right way was so easy & simple. Just so someone doesn't go down the same path I did... this is all you need:

Mr. Heater Hose and Regulator

(You don't have to get this one... most hardware stores carry the same type of product.)

I think most cooktops have a 3/8" male flared fitting. These replacement regulator/hose setups are exactly what you need and come in various lengths. Don't try and cobble a line together with 3 fittings.... the stove just won't work. Trust me...

I also found this little gadget that will allow you to connect a throwaway propane bottle to a QCC connector:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=357&id=97

Be safe...
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby boomboomtulum » Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I have the 2 burner wedgewood and connected it in a similar manner. Only difference was I ran a hard copper line to the connector as you then the reg. connected to the last chance or steck saver and connected it to a 1 lbs bottle. It about 2-3 days depending.

Dave
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby GeoDrop » Tue May 17, 2011 7:24 am

We bought one of the5lb propane bottles. The stove is in a slide out drawer with the bottle underneath. The 24" hose/regulator setup turned out to be perfect. I found our local RV dealer will fill the 5lb bottle by weight, no minimum. I think it cost me $8 to have it filled.

boomboomtulum wrote:I have the 2 burner wedgewood and connected it in a similar manner. Only difference was I ran a hard copper line to the connector as you then the reg. connected to the last chance or steck saver and connected it to a 1 lbs bottle. It about 2-3 days depending.

Dave
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 am

Not real keen on having propane tank inside of enclosed area without some vents.... IF you plan on keeping tank inside galley area, you might want to consider a vent in floor....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:46 pm

My 3 burner wedgewood with oven is plumbed in just like my home range.

Other than a short whip from tank to 1/2 black pipe it is black pipe and needed black iron fittings from the tongue box to where it pops up thru the floor where it is connected to a flexable gas line to the stove. I have no worries about punctured long hoses or an errant fastner poking a hole in soft copper. I even found some 3/16 aluminum plate that I cut and fitted to both sides and the rear of the stove to avoid direct contact from the stove sides to the wood walls.

It just me :oops:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you so much. I just found one of these stoves on eBay for $59 and was a bit nervous about not knowing how to hook up something highly explosive.
Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: Plumbing up a drop-in propane stove / cooktop

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:30 am

I know this thread is old, but I am trying to find or make a flex hose for my 2 burner coleman stove so that I dont need an extra 8 inches of counter top width. Has anyone ever rigged up a rubber hose to replace the standard hard line
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:35 pm

kd5edj63 wrote:I know this thread is old, but I am trying to find or make a flex hose for my 2 burner coleman stove so that I dont need an extra 8 inches of counter top width. Has anyone ever rigged up a rubber hose to replace the standard hard line

If you are talking about changing out the hard tube that connects the regulator (where the 1 lb propane can connects) to the side of the stove, you'll have difficulties because there's an "interlock" valve that prevents gas from escaping when it's not connected. A better idea is to use a "bulk tank to 1 lb tank" replacement hose, available from Mr. Heater or almost any sporting goods store.

I run my Coleman 2-burner propane stove off a 20 lb tank that way.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:58 pm

can you post a link or a part number.
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:46 pm

kd5edj63 wrote:can you post a link or a part number.

F273701

Just google that number you'll find a bunch of sources. That's a 5' hose with a POL nut connection to the bulk tank (left-hand thread conical brass fitting).

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you so much. I will look that up :thumbsup:
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby kd5edj63 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:08 pm

ok. I looked it up. Will that hose connect both to the stove and to a 1 pound propane bottle. I dont want to lug a large 20 pound tank around.
Upon closer look, it appears neither end will hook up to my stove nor a 1 pound bottle :thumbdown:
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 am

As I said in my first post, that hose hooks a 20lb tank to your stove instead of using 1 lb bottles.

To just move the 1 lb tank away from the stove, you need this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390530314000?lpid=82

But as I said none will hook directly to the stove because of the regulator that must be between the tank and the stove.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:20 pm

I am a fair to decent plumber having been in industrial maintenance and having plumbed my home and a few trailers

HOWEVER

When standing in the LP section of Rural king or some other box store I, to, scratch my head.

If you have never stepped foot into a LP distributors show room go do it. Take your stove and tank and ask them to put them together. These guys will reach over to the wall and lay down 2 to 3 fittings and you will be adapted and probably for far cheaper than the box stores.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby kd5edj63 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 pm

bobhenry wrote:I am a fair to decent plumber having been in industrial maintenance and having plumbed my home and a few trailers

HOWEVER

When standing in the LP section of Rural king or some other box store I, to, scratch my head.

If you have never stepped foot into a LP distributors show room go do it. Take your stove and tank and ask them to put them together. These guys will reach over to the wall and lay down 2 to 3 fittings and you will be adapted and probably for far cheaper than the box stores.

I might just do that. I'm not about to spend $50 on a hose that needs further modification to alter my $70 stove. For $150 I can get a new stove with a flex hose and can be use counter top or stand alone. I just want to use my $70 stove since I already have it. I refuse to spend money I dont have to build this trailer. Im not the government :thumbsup:
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets