Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Re: Propane Not Working - The Mystery Begins

Postby MtnDon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I am surprised to see the regulator has the POL fitting and not the hand tighten ACME nut type which is the newer system. Not that that should make any difference; just that I haven't seen one sold as new for some time. No tools needed for ACME nuts.

Also, not something that should matter, but is that a single stage regulator as sold for use on cheap grills? A two stage is much better, offers much better regulation of the pressure.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DudKC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 pm

I wish I knew more about it, I'm not sure if it's single stage. I'm guessing it is because it looks pretty simple and it was only $15. We bought this stuff a while ago so I don't have the packaging anymore. Below are a couple close up pictures of the tank opening and the regulator fitting.

Dustin

View my build thread here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42426
DudKC
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:27 am

Remove shout from regulator and screw it into tank... Crank tank valve slowly and see if you get flow.... DO THIS OUTSIDE away from any ignition sources..... IF you get "flow" then you know its a regulator problem...IF you get no flow, try different tank or get another snout (connector) and try that... You have to break problem down to simplest parts....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DudKC » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Larry C wrote:

Was it a brand new never filled tank? Did they purge the tank by putting a small amount of propane in it and venting it to atmosphere? They need to do this several times to get the air removed from the tank. Maybe that's your problem?

I missed this one the first time around. No, they didn't do that. I think I have the wrong fitting on the regulator. I think I need one of the green plastic ones, like this -

If that doesn't work I'll see if they need to purge the air out, because he just filled it right up.
Dustin

DudKC
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 pm

The replacement connector you are referring to is probably not the solution (though I can not see it because image is blocked) .. You have the Industry standard POL connector (CGA 510) on your regulator now and it is the correct one....Its called the "soft nose" connector for POL... Only other version is a hard nose with out the "O" ring.... They come in two versions, one with with "excess flow" safety device and one with out... All small propane tanks either equipped with OPD valve or not use this connector... Even my 250 Gallon residential tank uses this connector (hard nose)...

About half way down page...
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm

Hard nose version....

Soft nose version...

The outlet side of connector (male or female thread) is different according to style of device or hose you are connecting to...

IF you have anything other than setup like below, you probably have it wrong (only difference in this pic is regulator is connected to welding hose where you want connection to copper tubing)...

And why is "hex nut" portion of your connect so chewed on looking... You should use either open end wrench or adjustable (Cresent) end wrench... Yours looks like you used channel locks on it...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:52 pm

MtnDon wrote:I am surprised to see the regulator has the POL fitting and not the hand tighten ACME nut type which is the newer system. Not that that should make any difference; just that I haven't seen one sold as new for some time. No tools needed for ACME nuts.

Also, not something that should matter, but is that a single stage regulator as sold for use on cheap grills? A two stage is much better, offers much better regulation of the pressure.

For some reason ACME nut does not seem to popular (at least in my area) ...I personally am just not seeing them where old original CGA 510 (POL) still seems most popular...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Dale M. wrote:
For some reason ACME nut does not seem to popular (at least in my area) ...I personally am just not seeing them where old original CGA 510 (POL) still seems most popular...

Dale

One of lifes mysteries I guess. I have grown to like them immensely as I no longer need to go find a wrench. I have a number of different propane devices that all use portable cylinders for fueling. PITA when you're a long hike from the tool box and need to change one.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DudKC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 am

Last night I bought an acme nut and screwed it into the tank valve (OPD), turned the tank on, and propane came out. I think I now have the right fitting. But I haven't been successful getting the old POL fitting out of the regulator. It's really stuck in there.
Dustin

DudKC
Teardrop Master

Postby DudKC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 am

Dale M. wrote:
And why is "hex nut" portion of your connect so chewed on looking... You should use either open end wrench or adjustable (Cresent) end wrench... Yours looks like you used channel locks on it...

Dale

Noted - and Thanks. :thumbsup:
Dustin

DudKC
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets