New to me griddle

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

New to me griddle

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:19 pm

A co-worker gave me a cast iron griddle for my camp stoves.
I first ran it thru the dish washer.
Second, I put it in the oven and ran the oven cleaning cycle to burn off the old seasoning.
Third, I scrubbed it with hot water and a Scotch Brite, put it in the oven and ran it up to 350 degrees and let it dry for ten minutes.
Fourth, I coated it with a thin layer of Crisco and put it in the oven and ran it up to five hundred degrees to season it.
will need to do it a few more times to get it properly seasoned.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Re: New to me griddle

Postby doug hodder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Nice that it has that little reservoir to catch drippings. If you cook bacon on it...put a lid over the bacon, it really saves the interior of the stove, wind wings lid etc from splatter. If the reservoir starts to fill too much, wick it out with a paper towel, and make sure it's on the lowest point of the stove if it's not sitting level. Kevin and I cooked up a couple of pounds of bacon on a 426 with a 3 burner sized cast iron griddle up at the Dam one year. It was cold, and the stove had "greasecycles" hanging on it afterwards, hanging on the vent holes on the bottom. Glad it wasn't my stove! Have fun with it, sounds like you got it all in line. Using it really get's it seasoned. Do a load of pancakes on it and spray pam on it prior to the pour...that adds up pretty quickly on the seasoning. My cast waffle iron is jet black and glossy from use...I don't get stickers in it at all. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:44 am

I love beacon but my cardiologist says no more beacon or red meat and to reduce my salt and sugar intake.
Have to stick to chicken and fish so the griddle most likely will be a shelf queen.
I do fish wrapped in foil when camping.
Now I'm hungry.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Kevin & Sandy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 am

No bacon on it? No problem, I bet you could whip up a bunch of pancakes with that!
Kevin & Sandy
The 300 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Oh no, don't let it be a shelf queen. There are lots of things you can grill. Veggies and such at least! Sounds like you got a real find. I'm looking or a good one but so far I'm only using my DO lid.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron