Road Foamie - done for the year

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Road Foamie - done for the year

Postby Mary C » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Karen, I love to sample wine but beer I can not handle. I like sweet and beer is terribly sour. I did try some vanilla sweet beer one time and it was ok it just needed to be sweeter. I also sneeze my head off because of the hops. :? I think I am mentally allergic. .... cause I just cant seem to get a taste for it. but I do like my Wine!!! :wine:

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 pm

I like wine but discovered it triggers migraines (I have a few triggers I avoid) red wine is worse by far. The brewers Pat knows say it is the hops I don't like either. Evidently the ones I prefer have a lower hops ratio.
I don't even know what hops are.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Hops provide a bitter counterbalance to the sweetness of the malt. Some beers lean toward the bitter side some lean toward the sweet side, some are balanced. The trick is to find something you can start with and then start trying (and liking) brews that are just a bit different. And keep trying ...

It's a lot like wine. Very few people start liking red wine, but after a while they love it and wont drink anything else...

I love teaching people about beer, just like I taught people about wine decades ago. :D :D
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:18 am

And I do find store bought beer bitter.
Its fun to teach people about what you love.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:02 am

I barely have any free time for my two favorite hobbies (photography and woodworking) so I'm not going to start up in home brewing. That being said, I recently spotted a display at a local grocery store where you can 'build your own' 6 or 12 pack of craft beers. I thought about it, but I know that if I bought a sampler, most of them would go to waste... I'm usually on call for work, and as a courier I can get a 'stat' call at any time.

for those who like to sample though, it would be a cool thing. If you ever see 'Saranac' brand beer on your local cooler shelves, give it a try. I grew up near the brewery in Utica NY, and love going on their brewery tour! The West End brewery became regionally famous for 'Utica Club', but they've switched over to brewing Craft beer, and have well over a dozen varieties available.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:31 am

Sorry , but i have a question ? Say we’re camping and we have a traditional “cooler” (ice) ... we don’t want the Beer too cold ... right ? So do we put the Beer in a tray above the ice ? Or just take what we get and be glad to have it at all ... :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 am

I don't mind if my beer starts off very cold, especially on a hot day. It is usually much warmer by the time I finish one... the second one. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm

I don't think it's possible to get a beer "too cold" in a cooler with ice. That would require dry ice. The end result is popped caps and amber ice crystals (at least that's what happened when I put Dads beer in the basement freezer when I was a kid).
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 pm

The American tradition is to serve beer "ice cold". That's because Bud, Miller, Coors and similar beers tastes lousy when they're served warm. But American craft brew and many European beers should be served between 39 and 45 degrees F, depending on the style of beer. That's alot warmer than most of us like our beer. I tend to run my cooler at about 36 degrees. If I taste it and I think it's too cold and the flavor is being hindered, I'll just let it warm up before I enjoy it. So chill it in whatever manner you have available and if it doesn't taste like much because it's cold, let it warm up. I don't recommend doing that with any of the BIG company beers, though. BLECH!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby papajeep » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm completely new here, I've read your build from start to finish. I must say I'm impressed with the results & even more impressed with the building technique. I've been interested in TD's for quite sometime & this has spurred my interest further. I will admit to not understanding all the terms you've used. But I will do a lot more reading on the subject & am sure I'll learn as I go.
As far as the beer goes I would like to see more details on your system & the galley in general. I work as a carpenter & have dabbled in homebrew. My preferred beer at present is a stout or porter. My favorite is a nice room temp. Lions Stout out of Sri Lanka.
papajeep
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ned B » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:32 am

ahh yes, cold beer.

I fondly recall going to a fraternity party far too many years ago. It was back in the days when one could charge $10 a head for the privilege of standing in line with a bunch of drunken kids all waiting to get another cup or two of beer. This particular kegger was held in late fall, and it was so cold out that even holding the thin plastic cups (this was long before Red Solo cup days…), the beer stayed Cold.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:54 am

papajeep wrote:I'm completely new here, I've read your build from start to finish. I must say I'm impressed with the results & even more impressed with the building technique. I've been interested in TD's for quite sometime & this has spurred my interest further. I will admit to not understanding all the terms you've used. But I will do a lot more reading on the subject & am sure I'll learn as I go.
As far as the beer goes I would like to see more details on your system & the galley in general. I work as a carpenter & have dabbled in homebrew. My preferred beer at present is a stout or porter. My favorite is a nice room temp. Lions Stout out of Sri Lanka.

I prefer IPA's. There are two that are my favorites. Ballast Point Sculpin and Russian River's Blind Pig. My home brew setup is a 5 gallon gravity feed stand system My neighbor welded up the stand in trade for a batch every now and again. I keg into "corny" kegs and I serve thru a jockey box in an insulated compartment in the galley
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:18 pm

hey Mel, did you get the RF out camping last year?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:38 am

I actually did get some good use of it this year. The wife and I spent a week visiting some friends up north of Spokane, WA in May, another couple of weekends camping with friends around here in No Nev and the Sierras and then spent another week on the Central Coast of CA. All trips went without a hitch! We'll likely get some trips in this next year too. If the weather stays as dry as it is here, this could happen sooner rather than later. One of the best things I own!!
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:16 am

atahoekid wrote:I actually did get some good use of it this year. The wife and I spent a week visiting some friends up north of Spokane, WA in May, another couple of weekends camping with friends around here in No Nev and the Sierras and then spent another week on the Central Coast of CA. All trips went without a hitch! We'll likely get some trips in this next year too. If the weather stays as dry as it is here, this could happen sooner rather than later. One of the best things I own!!

sounds like fun! I'm scouring the big foamie builds; GPW's FS, KC's TCPE and yours for build ideas... I'm sketching a lot of stuff for my Wanderer and leaning heavily on your builds for inspiration, so I was visiting and saw you hadn't updated in awhile.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies