Working on the Decor-Part Two

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Working on the Decor-Part Two

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Hello :) ! Hope everyone has had a wonderful summer and fall, with lots of fun filled camping adventures. Bob and I have spent more time camping this year, with the teardrop, than we've done the last couple of years (tenting) combined! Went to a weekend gathering of TCTeardrop owners and had a great time comparing notes and seeing how folks modified their TDs to fit their needs. Looking forward to teardrop gatherings next year! Got a tour of a CampInn and RetroRide teardrop while out camping and of course gave quite a few tours of ours.

Never did get the "fancy fabric" version of my DIY luggable loo/changing room done. Which is probably good as I've changed my mind on the design a few times while making the temporary version out of tarps. In case you missed it in the General Discussion section of the board, my how-to thread is located here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57669

The tarp version turned out very usable, and light weight. I'm thinking if I can either sew and square up the two outside edge seams, or maybe put decorative tarp tape down the edges of those seams (on the outside), the room will look less like a bag hanging of the edge of the canopy/TD. I'm also thinking of cutting out a screened window on the side with a roll up Velcro'd curtain of tarp material. The screening will be there more for support than bug proofing, as the current version of my DIY room doesn't have a roof.

Another project in the works is a fabric edged door, with screening and designed to be dog proof in mind----which is attached to the inside of the TD's door frame area. That way the TD doors can be opened for the most air flow possible. Both TCTeardrops and at least the version of the Camp Inn TD I saw in the wild has a version of that as an additional accessory I could buy, but I want to make them myself.

Photo of the changing/loo room on a really wet camping day!

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Working on the Decor-Part Two

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:42 pm

Containers for organizing, oh how I love 'em. I bought a few different containers, some from the kitchen and bathroom supplies area in Wallyworld. What I didn't use I took back.

Got tired of hunting down the hand sanitizer while preparing food, so placed it's container here (with a bottle of biodegradable dish soap).

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:47 pm

On the upper left shelf in the galley, these two contain first aid/medical supplies and stationary stuff. The medical supply container is held by hooks that allow it to be removed (for freezing or horribly hot weather) and stored in the house between trips. The stationary container is permanently affixed to the wall.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Little stuff that get's lost or forgotten (or my keys!) hangs off a door handle.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Coffee---two different ways. Bob usually does the dinner cooking over a campfire, so I just heat up some water in a pot, use the filter holder. All of that stuff fits in the Folgers container I decorated with a crabby cat. The old frosting container (with coffee inspired décor) contains a coarser grind for the percolator (I usually make breakfast on the propane stove). Gonna make a decorative label for the lid.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 am

I'm planning on painting the galley, with a color similar to the wood---but with a more easily cleanable finish. Meanwhile, Bob cut a piece of aluminum sheeting and attached it to my sliding shelf. I put a towel bar on the back to help prevent accidentally pushing anything off the back and a handle on the front.

I've used towel bars in other shelves of the galley. Bought the metal tool box at an antique store's bargain basement area, and while I spray painted it teal---I'm planning on decoupaging maps or something on it later. I keep the connector parts to the propane stove in it, as well as matches, etc.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:18 am

The current version of my galley. I keep the propane stove in a padded bag behind the cooler.

It's a bit tricky trying to figure out where "simmer" is, compared to "burn to a crisp", but once I got the hang of it---I love this Camp Chef Everest stove. It was too wide to fit and permanently store on the sliding shelf, but it works out anyway. Less chance of splattering the inside of the galley!

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 am

Will be working on some more projects for the TD, will post some more photos later. Probably won't work on the "fancy fabric" version of the changing/loo room until spring.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:06 am

Oh ! Oh! , Deb, I Love it !!!!
You have given me so many new ideas so I book marked this so when I get ready to I can use your ideas to be reinvented for my TD. One thing is the soap I have not thought of something like that and I know there are three things we use all the time matches, hand cleaner and the sticky soap. I now have an idea because of your idea. Thanks. When I get mine to that point I will gladly share my Ideas. When at CRA this year I learned some other handy things, I wrote them down, took pictures of a couple and managed to plan for some more. I built my trailer on a HF trailer with original axle placement and it makes it really tall for me but the floor will be the perfect height for a pull out drawer to put my stove on. I am making bed raiser in the foot of the bed area so one could slightly go under the mattress when not in use.I think a trip to the container store will be in the future for me probably after Christmas. I really do appreciate your sharing of your ideas. You are so inventive.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby breesha03 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Love the storage ideas! I'm trying to be creative in my teardrop storage solutions, but it's hard when you don't know what those doohickeys are called when you go to search for them online. Haha. Keep the pis coming....I need all the help I can get! :thumbsup:
Banker by week, adventurer by weekend.
breesha03
Teardrop Builder

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks Mary and Breesha for the kind words. Reusing empty Tic Tac containers has been brought up here before, but here's how I made up my portable Tic Tac spice holders and container. I'd rather not keep any kind of food or spices in the trailer between trips, so I use one of those Wallyworld bathroom plastic containers to keep my labeled spices in, and bring it in when we get home. I keep it in the kitchen's spice cabinet, use up what's in it, refill with fresh spices for camping.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby breesha03 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Genius!
Banker by week, adventurer by weekend.
breesha03
Teardrop Builder

Postby KissyLiz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:40 am

Absolutely love the idea for the hand sanitizer storage! Going to have to steal that idea along with the tic tac spice holders for my own teardrop! :applause:
~Christy

"You live longer once you realize hat any time spent being unhappy is wasted."
KissyLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 am

So many wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing them.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am

[quote="Backroads4me"]The current version of my galley. I keep the propane stove in a padded bag behind the cooler.

It's a bit tricky trying to figure out where "simmer" is, compared to "burn to a crisp", but once I got the hang of it---I love this Camp Chef Everest stove. It was too wide to fit and permanently store on the sliding shelf, but it works out anyway. Less chance of splattering the inside of the galley!

Love these ideas. :applause: :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers