Auto vs Trailer Tires?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Which do you prefer?

Auto Tire
76%
Trailer Tire
24%

Total votes : 91

Postby 48Rob » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:38 pm

Chris,

I have auto tires on mine, but at 2400# it is near the limit of safe use of passenger tires.

My 3000# vintage trailer has trailer tires.

I'm not comfortable with any less than a 500# safety cushion.
If the tires aren't rated for at least 500 pounds more than the trailer will weigh loaded, then I would switch to the heavier trailer tire.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jje507 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:58 pm

I have trailer tires right now, but will changing them out soon.
One of my guys at work gave me a set of 15" rims that will fit perfect.
Guess he was trying to suck up to the boss, but hey, I got a free set of rims! :lol:
I tried a little PhotoShop and I hope they will turn out something like this:
jje507
Silver Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:07 pm

I seem to be in the minority with trailer tires. Why did I choose them? My trailer is heavier than the TDs, but that isn't the only reason. I have a bass boat with the same tires and wheels I chose for my TTT. It rides just fine on those tires, and my TTT will wieigh close to what my boat and trailer weighs.

I bought my tires and wheels as a unit because I can use the same spare tire for both my boat and TTT. I can't do that with the tires and wheels on my tow vehicle, as it's a Nissan truck with 6-lug hubs, and besides, I only have the mini-spare, not a full size tire, on the truck. If I had 4 or 5 lug wheels on my tow vehicle, I might have gone with auto tires.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Auto vs Trailer Tires?

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Chris C wrote:As light as our little teardrops are, do you run an auto tire or trailer tire? Why have you chosen what you did?

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for .... Chris' teardrop

Auto tires here, 25 psi smooth ride.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:02 pm

I am beginning my build. Today picked up a pair of wheels to match my TV, and ordered some tires.

My favorite tire shop said that the cheapest new tires (about $75 a pair) would rot befor they wore out, and I am using about 1/4 of less of the capacity of the tires.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Car tires, but I guess for a different reason....they are much cheaper than 15" trailer tires. Ride better also.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 pm

I just found out that it is illegal in Canada to use auto tires on a trailer.
They can't have a "p" rating, ave to have a "ST " rating. Too bad, I allready bought my tires, If they want to get down on thair hands and knees to check my tires they are more than welcome to.......
:lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:49 pm

Micro469 wrote:Too bad, I allready bought my tires, If they want to get down on thair hands and knees to check my tires they are more than welcome to.......
:lol:

Good choice!! :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:01 am

Micro469 wrote:I just found out that it is illegal in Canada to use auto tires on a trailer. They can't have a "p" rating, ave to have a "ST " rating.

John,

I've read endless times on the FiberglassRV forum where Americans have been told exactly the same thing - and it's not true there. So I thought I'd have a look and, sure enough:

(4) For the purpose of determining the sum referred to in subsection (3), where trailer or trailer converter dolly is equipped with a passenger car tire, the maximum load rating of that tire shall be divided by a factor of 1.10.

That's from:
http://www.transport-canada.org/roadsafety/tp/tp13136/tr120.htm
But whether your axle fitter will accept that Transport Canada knows better than him is another question entirely...... 8)

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:16 am

My boat trailer tires and TTT tires are the same style and size, but they do have one difference. The ones on the boat trailer are load range B, rated for 1350 lbs capacity each, and have a max pressure of 50 lbs. The ones I got for my TTT are load range B, rated for 1180 lbs capacity each, and have a max pressure of 35 lbs, so they shouldn't ride too hard. With the trailer estimated to be around 1400 lbs, loaded, the tires will be at about 2/3 capacity so I didn't think I needed the heavier tires.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby EZ » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 am

Stock Harbor Freight trailer tires. 12". Of course they have only rolled up and down the driveway a couple of times when I am moving the camper by pushing it but so far they have held up well.....

:moom walk: :running man:

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby owenmpk » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:37 am

EZ wrote:Stock Harbor Freight trailer tires. 12". Of course they have only rolled up and down the driveway a couple of times when I am moving the camper by pushing it but so far they have held up well.....

:moom walk: :running man:

Ed

Hey that’s what I have, but I have not put them to the same test as yours because I prefer to break them in by leaning them up against a wall. Also before taking them out on the open road, I want to make sure they have are acclimated. Oh and of course I will have purged the Chinese air :thumbdown: and replaced with higher quality mix we have here in the colonies. :thumbsup:
Oh also you folks down under do you have problems with the Chinese air making the tires spin the wrong way? :QM
owenmpk
Donating Member

Postby mightypan42 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:06 pm

I'm going to put the same rims/tires on my TD that are on my Ranger. Mostly for ease of changing a flat (I have a full-size spare on the truck), partly because I won't always be towing on pavement.
Jimmy
mightypan42
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jplock » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:32 pm

I am building my trailer, and have chosen P205 75 R 15 car tires. I have chosen them for high ground clearence for rough roads and smooth ride on the highway. By the way I got them installed this evening.

Has anybody done without a spare tire and used some sort of temporary tire inflater with tire sealant to get you into a repair shop or a temporary parking spot untill you get the tire fixed? I am thinking of doing this has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!
jplock :QM
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:53 am

Has anybody done without a spare tire and used some sort of temporary tire inflater with tire sealant to get you into a repair shop or a temporary parking spot untill you get the tire fixed?

I've used it in car tires to fix a flat that was caused by a punture on the edge of the tread in a radial tire (in an area that I knew the tire shop wouldn't fix), and it worked. However, I've had trouble with ballance on the tires that I used it in. If you use it, you need to put it in and then immediately drive the vehicle a while to "distribute" it equally around the inside of the tire to minimize the out of ballance thing.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls