Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Undercoating Alternative (No more sticky black stuff!)

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm close to cranking out my floor. I'm toying with the idea of a thinned coat of TB2 followed by a coat of exterior oil based enamel. Anyone out there tried painting over the TB2?
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 am

The thing that worries me about deck sealer is that most of it is only rated to last a year or two. What is the warranty on that stuff listed at? I suspect the weakness will be chipping from road gravel and debris. Let me know how it holds up.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby paul.luna » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:36 am

be_a_jayhawk wrote:The thing that worries me about deck sealer is that most of it is only rated to last a year or two. What is the warranty on that stuff listed at? I suspect the weakness will be chipping from road gravel and debris. Let me know how it holds up.

Restore is more than a Deck Sealer, It has a texture to is and rolls on pretty thick. Granted I live in the South West and my trailer will be stored in the garage. We'll see in time how it does. I fell good about it. I worry more about the roof and walls then I am about the bottom and floor.

-Paul
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am

Being as its on the bottom of the td it will last much longer than normal ratings due to it never experiences the heat or uv rays that it would on a roof. Chipping of that sticky mess is highly unlikely. Looking for alternatives isn't driven from how good it is our longevity, but how nasty it is to apply.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:33 pm

I built my Road Foamie a year ago and used fence and post asphalt paint from Tractor Supply. It's not sticky, it cleans easily and does not smell any worse than regular paint. It goes on like standard paint but actually penetrates into the wood. I've driven through about 1000 miles of rain storms, over a gravel road that chipped off the paint job on my frame but the underside still looks great!!! I'd use it again.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby drgrumpus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 am

I am using truck Bedliner. Smelly, nasty to clean up (use gloves) , but it look s like it will do the job. Herculiner, $88 a gallon. Not cheap, but it sets into a tough urethane coating. The second coat goes on today.
Five cords of wood in, snow tires on, 5 X 8 NT frame on order. Gonna build a TD this winter.
drgrumpus
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 am

atahoekid wrote:I built my Road Foamie a year ago and used fence and post asphalt paint from Tractor Supply. It's not sticky, it cleans easily and does not smell any worse than regular paint. It goes on like standard paint but actually penetrates into the wood. I've driven through about 1000 miles of rain storms, over a gravel road that chipped off the paint job on my frame but the underside still looks great!!! I'd use it again.

YUP! The cost-to-benefit ratio cannot be beat! And it doesn't take days to dry! I'll use good ole Black Beauty every time!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Todah Tear wrote:
Martiangod wrote:I used coroplas (signboard)
Worked great...]

How is the coroplast holding up as an undercoating alternative? I have thought seriously about using it in that application as well.

Todah

almost 10,000 MILES OF SNOW, ICE, TORENTIAL DOWNPOUR, MUD and some of the worse roads Canada can throw at ya. Still looks like the day I installed it. Would definatly do again if another build were to happen, but the way its standing up, don't think that will happen any time soon :applause:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby woodywrkng » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:57 pm

1/16 inch polyethylene sheet from Farmtek. Same stuff gallon milk jugs are made out of I think.
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... 06910.html

woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Is that polyethylene order only or do any retailers carry it?
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby woodywrkng » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 pm

I purchased the poly from Farmtek, they are a retailer. I don't know who else may carry it. It was easy for me to pick up since their physical store in my state. If shipped the box may be over-sized
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Just an other way... I used CPES on the bottom, coating it until it wouldn't soak in any more. Let it dry and coated the bottom with grey rustoleum paint, Gave it 2 or 3 coats. I finished the trailer in 2009, and the floor looks as good as the day I first painted it.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 pm

I can't get behind a dedicated sink in the galley. I use a SS mixing bowl that is hemispherical with a flattened bottom. It takes a minimum amount of water to provide a depth that you can work with and plates and other round objects fit well into it for scrubbing.

I hate doing dishes in cold water. What I really like about using a stand alone SS bowl is that I just put on a burner to heat up the dishwater. If the water gets cold I just return the bowl to the burner. You can't do that with a built in sink, one with a drain, or a plastic container. I've thought of building a tubular stand for it to make it a bit more stable but doing so is not a high priority.

Just my two scents.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm

I am redoing our shower and came across this stuff:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Build ... p_4qcRDufY

It is water clean up, goes on easy (the more coats the better), and is kind of rubbery and won't chip or crack.

It dries a bright red but on the bottom of the trailer who would notice. Seems be a lot better than black sticky stuff.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 am

Redgard seems similar to an elastomeric roofing sealer. Recently had my roof professionally sealed. The roofing sealer is white and good for many years of sun and water exposure. Either one would seem to be very good to seal the bottom of a teardrop trailer.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Skinning secrets