A gift from my father ...

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

A gift from my father ...

Postby Corwin C » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:55 pm

The last few days have been rough. After many years of severe asthma, cancer, chemo, steroid dependence with all of the side effects, my Dad returned to his heavenly family last Friday (22 Nov 2013). It was expected and he passed peacefully at home with his sweetheart by his side. My Mom and Dad raised three successful children with eight well behaved, intelligent grandchildren who will by all accounts be successful themselves in the upcoming years.

Mom and Dad were very aware of my interest in building a teardrop trailer and everything that goes along with it including the old camping equipment. I have put that off in order to help them in building their home for the last few years. When I went with Mom yesterday to winterize their old home that we are trying to sell, she gave me this ...

Image Image

228E dated July 1953. She couldn't remember where it came from, (I suspect a long forgotten yard sale), but she told me that Dad had told her to make sure that I got it.

It has intact mantles (the clip on wire ones) on it and there was fuel in it. I tried to get the cap off, but the inner gasket was stuck down. I tried the pump and it seemed to work, so I thought why not and found a match ...

I'm sure that I'll have to ruin the gasket to fuel it up, so I think that I'll burn what fuel is in it after his funeral, then I'll clean it up and use it often and remember him each time that I do.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Re: A gift from my father ...

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Condolences on the loss of your father. May you take comfort in the memories and the lantern that you have been given. Every time you light it up, you will remember that he lives still and will forever live on in your memories.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Sorry for your recent loss, Corwin.
May a smile shine through every time you light up that special lantern. :worship:
Joanie
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Amen.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. It is never easy to see a loved one pass away. But as time goes by that lantern can bring you some piece.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:22 pm

-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby TENNJIM » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is special memories like the lantern that carry us through these times.
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Sorry for your loss Corwin. Think of your dad everytime you light up the lantern.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 pm

We have the family 30's era Coleman lantern and Preway stove that will be passed along to which ever child wishes them, likely daughter and son in-law. We used them when we were tenting as the children grew up. He thought of you, use it in remembrance.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss Corwin. My dad passed away June of this year of COPD. I am glad your dad was at peace and home for that journey. I have fired up my Dec 1952 220E in his memory. This lantern I bought from the estate of one of my High School teachers and a friend.

Take care bud.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Your dad must have been pretty special to see that lantern, think of you and to make sure you received it. Sorry you lost your father but congratulations on the gift he gave you.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby HossHoffer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 pm

I look for your trailer every time we drive through. Condolences on your father.
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby Corwin C » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and prayers for my Dad, his family and friends. We are all doing well and know that we will be with him again when it is our turn to cross the veil. The lantern will burn often as it has become my favorite. I need to get it cleaned up, the cap gasket fixed, and a storage box built.

HossHoffer wrote:I look for your trailer every time we drive through...

How often do you drive through? Perhaps a meeting would be in order? It's kind of difficult to see my tear as it hasn't been built yet (other than in my mind), and the Aristocrat is quickly becoming a future restore/rebuild project. It's still usable, but I've given up on trying to save what's left from the elements. Perhaps I'll find the time and $$$ to get a good start on a tear this spring (workshop is currently -10.3°F with 6" of snow on the "floor"). I have a unique hybrid foamie construction process in mind that I'm excited to try out.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Corwin C wrote:I have a unique hybrid foamie construction process in mind that I'm excited to try out.

Oh, do tell more! (... or have I missed this talk in another thread? If so, please link. :twisted: )

You can't expect to drop a bomb like that and get away without elaborating! Not around these parts, right'chere, unh uh. :no:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 am

KCStudly wrote:
Corwin C wrote:I have a unique hybrid foamie construction process in mind that I'm excited to try out.

Oh, do tell more! (... or have I missed this talk in another thread? If so, please link. :twisted: )

You can't expect to drop a bomb like that and get away without elaborating! Not around these parts, right'chere, unh uh. :no:

There is no thread, just my sick little mind stirring up all kinds of ideas. :twisted: Just for you KC ... here's a hint (the idea isn't quite ready for prime-time). Inside out construction with minimal structure, complete all wiring and wall/ceiling/floor internals, and then use one of these ... foam machine to desired thickness+. It should take all of, what, five minutes to install the foam. Trim up, canvas and paint finish, then install windows, exterior lights, etc. The way I see it, the foam will all be one piece and any shape you're willing to whittle out is possible. Research still in progress to determine financial feasibility.
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment