Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Todah Tear » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Ya'll got to watch this video. It's a life changer! It's starts a little slow, but if you stick with it you will be glad that you did.

http://fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Enjoy!

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Postby DeltaGary » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 pm

I watched it a couple years ago. Started making changes to lifestyle ever since.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
DeltaGary
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 pm

While drinking my homemade fruit smoothie for breakfast, I watched it. It worked the opposite of what it should have done because it made me hungry for fast food, etc. About an hour into the program, I got an intense craving for bacon like I never get! I have no idea why.... Anyway, I happened to have purchased some; so, I ate 3 slices of bacon, and two corn tortillas with melted fake cheese and a cup of coffee! I don't think I'll be watching that video anymore. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby sagebrush » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:14 pm

SHARON...... :shock: :shock: :shock: Homemade fruit smoothie to fake cheese :shock: :shock: :shock: You not only fell off the wagon , you got runned over by it, Sister :R :R
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 am

sagebrush wrote:SHARON...... :shock: :shock: :shock: Homemade fruit smoothie to fake cheese :shock: :shock: :shock: You not only fell off the wagon , you got runned over by it, Sister :R :R

In all fairness, the fake cheese was totally vegan and from the health food store and I wanted to see if I liked it. (Being newly intolerant of milk products, I miss cheddar cheese. This one will really help! It's surprisingly yummy!)

But the bacon? I have trouble avoiding that! A friend posted a picture of a taco where the taco shell was made from bacon, woven and crisply baked.....:awesome:
That picture embedded itself in my mind and has been driving me crazy! :lol:

I must confess...I am a seefood eater who can no longer eat everything she sees. :(
But, every once in a while, I sit in the dirt after falling off the wagon! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I think his heart is in the right place (Joe Cross) but I don't think juicing is a long term solution.

Check out the Body for Life website if you want another opinion! or Hussman if you need more detail...

http://bodyforlife.com/

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:22 pm

mikeschn wrote:I think his heart is in the right place (Joe Cross) but I don't think juicing is a long term solution.

Check out the Body for Life website if you want another opinion! or Hussman if you need more detail...

http://bodyforlife.com/

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/

Mike...

In all fairness, I don't believe that the movie was just about losing weight. It was about getting good nutrition and exercise and selling juicers. :roll: If it works for some, then, that's good. However, did you notice that second fellow who lost weight in the video? He said that he was spending $30 a day for fruits and vegetables to put in his juicer. That adds up to around $900 a month for groceries for one person.

If you're looking to lose weight, the old Atkins diet is mostly protein and it works. The government tested that one and deemed it safe when used for 2 weeks. (I'm guessing that's how long they tested it for.) Supposedly, the best diet you can go on is Weight Watchers, because it's the most balanced.

I tried going totally vegan for a couple months and it didn't work for me. So, I went back to the doctor (a vegan) and told her: "This isn't working." She said that one does not have to go vegan to be healthy. In fact, going vegan has actually caused some people to gain more weight. Okay, then! I've been vindicated!

So now, I'm simply trying to eat well to stay as healthy as I can and keep my body away from its personal trouble makers: gluten and casein. (EAS is 100% whey protein; or, in other words, casein.) I figure I can fall off the wagon occasionally with some bacon.... "Sneaking" some bacon or other such treat once in a while makes life more fun! Bacon....Yum!

What's that statement that they made into a commercial? Oh, yeah:
"BEEF...It's what's for dinner!" (As a matter of fact it is!) :lol:

PS. All kidding aside, I eat mostly chicken and salads, etc. But, yes, I have a beef roast in the pot, cooking.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Todah Tear » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm

**The main purpose of the film was to document doing the fasting for a period 1) to get good nutrition into the body to address the health concerns (for the main character: skin disease and obesity; for the truck driver: obesity and the psychological benefits of climbing out of depression, taking back his life, and finding out that hope still remains in his life {the impact on his relationship with his son, other members in his family, and his community}).

Joe doesn't suggests that a person do the juice fast for life. In the film, Joe goes back to eating un-juiced food, he just does it in moderation and does a 10-day fast every now and then. The woman who had the migraine headaches did the fast for only 10 days and the headaches went away. She re-entered eating w/eating healthy solid foods.

It was definitely motivating to see those guys loose that amount of weight in the time that they did. Yes, I noticed the $14+/day for non-organic veggies. When you consider how much medication those guys were taking per day before the fast and were potentially going to have to continue taking for the rest of their lives (not to mention possible bi-pass surgery that they might have had to have), $14 was a small price to pay.

***Sharon,

I can relate to that bacon thing. I love bacon. Is there such a thing as too much back...no (well maybe too much at one time :R ).

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Grumpypaz » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 pm

In the UK we have a comedian called 'The Pub Landlord' Al Murray. He has a monologue about drinking too much beer, the strap line is that the smell of cooking bacon can bring you back from the point of death, This proves aromatherapy works!
Grumpypaz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 am

Bacon....and pannycakes with maple syrup :). I'm convinced pannycakes absorb the toxins...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 pm

We all want to be healthier and more fit, but are not sure of the best way to go about. There are some excellent "easy buttons" here. Push play and Go! http://fitnessbytommy.com
Do your best and forget the rest, and keep pushing play. I love to talk with people about getting fit because no one solution works for everyone. Look for me on Facebook, and shoot me a friend request. (http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran.
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:03 am

I think your point is right....there isn't a one size fits all solution. None of the magic bullet solutions weather it's the all juice diet (yum! Blended grass clippings) or the protein (bacon wrapped, deep fried pork rinds) diets are sustainable.

There is too much "either/or" in our society. We need to understand "both/and" a little better.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:43 pm

GerryS wrote:I think your point is right....there isn't a one size fits all solution. None of the magic bullet solutions .... r.

You evidently have not fully embraced the phenomenon known as the magic bullet smoothie maker!

http://www.buythebullet.com/recipes.php?recipe=smoothie :lol:

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:24 am

No, never will. The health claims just never seem to pan out, and even if there are short term gains typically living the way these folks say you are supposed to is not sustainable. I've lived the carb diets (lost 70 pounds etc) andd trust me, eating the same things day in and day out just is too monotonous, event for those who find great success. I saw the film that inspired this....and about half way through I realized it was as boring as the diet would be.

Not to mention (on the carb diets) the fake sweeteners are just as bad for you as they claim sugar is. Also, the reliance of soy in the bars etc can have a dramatically bad effect on women with the right sensitivities.

Now, I will say that there is nothing wring with a power smoothie every now and again, I have a vitamix and will enjoy one every now and then. But living on puréed grass clippings .... I'd rather die sooner.

I think that diet wise, our biggest problem is modern farming techniques. It does produce a lot of food, but the soil is pretty drained of the very micronutrients the movie suggests. Not to open the pandora a box of GMO. I have no research to back this theory, but I think we'd all be better off if we composted, gardened, and bought from local markets where the growers at least make an attempt to do the same. If anything, it tastes better. The megamart tomatoes taste like balled up newspaper. We canned out own last summer that we bought from kern farms locally. Flat out amazing the difference.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Okay, with the new year almost here, I am going to have to make a resolution to lose some weight.

I've tried various things over the years, and definitely know some of the things that don't work for me. They might work for you, but not for me!

I tried Vegan. Also tried lipid free vegan. Lost weight, but lost a lot of hair too. Ended up eating lots of salmon to get good fats back into the system.

I tried the Adkins diet. Huge amounts of protein. That didn't work.

I tried Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. After a couple days I was always hungry.

So this year I think I'll try a combination of all three!!!

1) increase my vegetable intake and good fat intake
2) decrease my carb and protein intake
3) drink mean green juice with my breakfast :D
4) drink less beer when building teardrops! :thinking:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Off Topic