O2 Cool Fan on Portable Buddy Heater

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

O2 Cool Fan on Portable Buddy Heater

Postby TENNJIM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Acquired a Mr Heater, Portable Buddy Heater (4,000-9,000 BTU Model) and found that most of the heat comes straight up off the top-front. Looking around for a fan of some sort, I found that O2 Cool makes a 5 inch, battery powered, swivel type, clip fan with two speeds and fairly long battery life. After just clipping it to the fold-down handle on the heater, adjusting the angle, and using low speed; we had heat coming off the top of the heater being blown out into our little trailer. Clipped to the folded-down handle, the fan is in cool air behind the heat and the battery pack sets on the floor behind the heater where it is cool. We only use this heater when we don't have 115V and to knock the chill off before bedtime or when awakening in the morning. We open the windows and the top hatch to adequately vent and installed a CO monitor down low as well. Just passing along the idea for whatever it is worth.
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Re: O2 Cool Fan on Portable Buddy Heater

Postby Cantputt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:22 pm

I do the same thing, different fan brand.
Cantputt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm

O2 cool has great little fans, the key is their very different fan blade design. At campmeeting this pas summer it was in the 90's every day, and high humidity, nearlly everyone there had an 02 cool of some type, the batteries lasted for a week of use in our fans. (6 hrs or so a day)
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm

we have three Brazilian made airplanes in our fleet at work. just like the rest of the planes they make, they don't handle cold very well. Our pilots found their gyros all tumbled and rolled after a cold start, until the cockpit warmed up. Now they leave those little Buddy heaters in the cockpit while they load the planes, other than haveing to wipe the condensation off the windows before starting engines every thing is happy, including the stick actuator 8) .
the big modern jets made by the same company, need me to start the APU and turn on the heat and hydraulic pumps an hour before gate time or problems happen when they try to leave with temps below 20F.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:07 pm

You could also use a convection fan and get away fromt he batteries. They work off of the heat rising from the heat source. Very popular with wood stoves.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 59ndd7ch_b
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Crabapple » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 pm

TENNJIM wrote:Acquired a Mr Heater, Portable Buddy Heater (4,000-9,000 BTU Model) and found that most of the heat comes straight up off the top-front. Looking around for a fan of some sort, I found that O2 Cool makes a 5 inch, battery powered, swivel type, clip fan with two speeds and fairly long battery life. After just clipping it to the fold-down handle on the heater, adjusting the angle, and using low speed; we had heat coming off the top of the heater being blown out into our little trailer. Clipped to the folded-down handle, the fan is in cool air behind the heat and the battery pack sets on the floor behind the heater where it is cool. We only use this heater when we don't have 115V and to knock the chill off before bedtime or when awakening in the morning. We open the windows and the top hatch to adequately vent and installed a CO monitor down low as well. Just passing along the idea for whatever it is worth.
8)
Jim B / Utah

I got one of those heaters with the Prolite Suite I just purchased. How much do you have to open the windows to be safe? I think these heaters actually ship with the trailer when purchased new although the recommendation is that they not be use inside. Seems contradictory! I'm looking for a QUIET electric heater option if anyone can suggest a good brand/model?
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Depending on the model of the Buddy Heater, there is a ventilation requirement in the specs ( google works to get it). We far exceed that ventilation requirement on ours just to be safer, would never sleep with the buddy heater on, and have the CO monitor. When on electric hookups, we use a small ceramic cube heater from WalMart.
:beer:
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Colemancooler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

i hope I am wrong, but according to the formula on page 4 of this PDF from Mr heater https://www.mrheater.com/Upload%5CGeneralManuals%5CBuddy%5CBuddy%20Wall%20Mount%5CBuddy_wall_mount%20rev_b.pdf my trailer 10'x5'x4'=200sq ft( approximately ) divided by 50cubic feet, means I can only have 4 BTU in my trailer, about the same as 4 matches. of course that is with the windows closed, the nfpa code is hard to find, everyone mentions it, but I could not find it online "NFPA 54/ ANSI Z223.1, Section 5.3 " I found a chart on page 8, table 3 of this furnace manual http://www.bayareaservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/XR80-Installation-Manual.pdf for 40,000btu the furnace needs 2 openings 10" by 20", 12" from the cieling and, 12" from the floor . my primus 2328 propane heater is 3,000 btu if the proportions are right and my math is right :? i need 2 openings 7.5 inches square, just about right for my windows and roof vent, just not in the right place :crazy:
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Return to Camping Secrets