My 4x8 TD build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My 4x8 TD build

Postby paul.luna » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:08 pm

OK, I know I haven't post in forever, I actually haven't finished my first build. (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56691) My brother was so impressed, I know some people are easily impressed, by my trailer he asked if I could make one for him. Well after so coaxing and him sending me a check to start buying stuff :shock: I downloaded some plans and got to work. So I am pretty far along I've been posting pics on my Facebook page I need to figure out a better way to get the pics here. I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far I've learned a lot as well. My wife is already planning our 4x8 8) (I know, I'm a lucky guy!) OK so let me start with at least a photo of where I'm at now.

Actually I'm a little further along but this gets you the idea. I'll post more later.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Re: My 4x8 TD build

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:51 pm

This think of the time you could of saved it you just started a 6X9 in the first place. You know after you finish this one for you for your brother, and build you a 4X8, your Brother will want a bigger one and them you guys will need a bigger one
:lol:

When will the madness ever end. :R
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby paul.luna » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 am

6x9? We'll see. I'm not sure it's cost effective to build a 6x9. I understand having the extra room but really it's just for sleeping. I don't mind cuddling with my wife we've been doing it for over 20 years now, why give her the space to get away now? I need to look into the costs for a larger one, it just appears that there will be a lot of wasted wood.

Well the top got skinned today, had the trim arrived on Friday I would have had some Aluminum started as well. Here's to hoping Monday will bring the trim.

paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 am

I like the profile, and the efficiency of space and access to the galley that comes with it.

Traditional tapered back TD profiles are neat-O, but a "high and tight" galley with a bit of curve, or "bustle" for the visual appeal work just fine in my mind's eye.

Nice job. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 am

you might want to look into a 5x10 you can find 5x10 plywood a 84 lumber in some towns most people like the extra room well good luck and thanks for posting pics
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby paul.luna » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:10 pm

KCStudly wrote:I like the profile, and the efficiency of space and access to the galley that comes with it.

Traditional tapered back TD profiles are neat-O, but a "high and tight" galley with a bit of curve, or "bustle" for the visual appeal work just fine in my mind's eye.

Nice job. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot KC! I feel the same way I am more into function than style I looked high and low for designs that utilized the small space the best. I personally would have avoided the 19" radius simply because I knew the interior skin was going to be a pain. Thanks again stay tuned there's more to come.

P
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 pm

bc toys wrote:you might want to look into a 5x10 you can find 5x10 plywood a 84 lumber in some towns most people like the extra room well good luck and thanks for posting pics

Thanks BC I did a search and there's no 84 Lumber that's a cost effective drive away. I was not aware that I could get 5x10 Ply. If I can find it locally then by all means I may build mine as a 5x10. not sure I can find 5 x 10 aluminum sheets but I could try the resin/paint method instead of alum.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eddiegrey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 pm

This looks a lot like the plans I've purchased Ty-Dean customs...am I right? Just the front is more rounded which is what I am going to modify and do. Basically just like this one. I am however building on a 5x8 frame.
eddiegrey
Teardrop Builder

Postby paul.luna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:04 am

eddiegrey wrote:This looks a lot like the plans I've purchased Ty-Dean customs...am I right? Just the front is more rounded which is what I am going to modify and do. Basically just like this one. I am however building on a 5x8 frame.

Exactly, it started as a Ty-Dean I modified the plans by making it a 19" radius and changed the galley quite a bit. I'm also doing the hatch different. Frank at teardroptrailerparts.com helped me out with the hurricane hinge. He showed me that using the offset hinge and not notching the back. In fact I went with the hatch trim from Frank as well.

I'd love to talk to you about the cost difference in a 5x8 and a 4x8.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paul.luna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 am

Working on the aluminum. Drivers side up, need to cut the door opening on passenger side. should have it all up tomorrow.
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eddiegrey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 am

paul.luna wrote:
eddiegrey wrote:This looks a lot like the plans I've purchased Ty-Dean customs...am I right? Just the front is more rounded which is what I am going to modify and do. Basically just like this one. I am however building on a 5x8 frame.

Exactly, it started as a Ty-Dean I modified the plans by making it a 19" radius and changed the galley quite a bit. I'm also doing the hatch different. Frank at teardroptrailerparts.com helped me out with the hurricane hinge. He showed me that using the offset hinge and not notching the back. In fact I went with the hatch trim from Frank as well.

I'd love to talk to you about the cost difference in a 5x8 and a 4x8.

Right off the bat, the trailer is Northern Tool and it's $500 compared to probably $299 for the HBF 4x8. That extra 1 foot will also add a lot more wood. I've not entirely convinced myself to go 5x8, I am wanting to read over the plans to be sure that's the route I want to go. Do some calculations and see exactly how much more. I have 3 kids one of which is 18months old so he will probably be able to sleep with the wife and I for some time. So the 5x8 is definitely beneficial to us.

The TD is looking great! What is the budget? Where did you get your aluminum?
eddiegrey
Teardrop Builder

Postby paul.luna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:47 pm

[quote]Right off the bat, the trailer is Northern Tool and it's $500 compared to probably $299 for the HBF 4x8. That extra 1 foot will also add a lot more wood. I've not entirely convinced myself to go 5x8, I am wanting to read over the plans to be sure that's the route I want to go. Do some calculations and see exactly how much more. I have 3 kids one of which is 18months old so he will probably be able to sleep with the wife and I for some time. So the 5x8 is definitely beneficial to us.

The TD is looking great! What is the budget? Where did you get your aluminum?/quote]

I get my sheets from a local metal shop they sell all kinds of metal and some times you can get great deals if you get the stuff he gets from auctions.
yeah the way I figure it you nee to ad quite a bit of sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" ply since you have to run everything sideways. That's why I asked where people were getting 5x10 sheets and if they could get all sizes not just 1/2 or 3/4. I just see a lot of wasted ply with 5x8 or 5x10. I haven't seen someones plans that include Plywood placement and waste per build. Building the 4x8 has had very little waste.

What are you going to haul it with? I have a Tacoma with a shell and a Carpet kit so there's extra sleep space or rig a tent/canopy to your door for extra sleep space. Kids love tents!
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eddiegrey » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:12 am

paul.luna wrote:
Right off the bat, the trailer is Northern Tool and it's $500 compared to probably $299 for the HBF 4x8. That extra 1 foot will also add a lot more wood. I've not entirely convinced myself to go 5x8, I am wanting to read over the plans to be sure that's the route I want to go. Do some calculations and see exactly how much more. I have 3 kids one of which is 18months old so he will probably be able to sleep with the wife and I for some time. So the 5x8 is definitely beneficial to us.

The TD is looking great! What is the budget? Where did you get your aluminum?/quote]

I get my sheets from a local metal shop they sell all kinds of metal and some times you can get great deals if you get the stuff he gets from auctions.
yeah the way I figure it you nee to ad quite a bit of sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" ply since you have to run everything sideways. That's why I asked where people were getting 5x10 sheets and if they could get all sizes not just 1/2 or 3/4. I just see a lot of wasted ply with 5x8 or 5x10. I haven't seen someones plans that include Plywood placement and waste per build. Building the 4x8 has had very little waste.

What are you going to haul it with? I have a Tacoma with a shell and a Carpet kit so there's extra sleep space or rig a tent/canopy to your door for extra sleep space. Kids love tents!

Land Rover Discovery. We have a good tent too. I'm gonna read the plans through a couple of times. I'm seeing a lot of tools that I will need.

Any suggestions on a critical must have list of tools?
eddiegrey
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:30 am

Table saw, miter saw, router.

I've used a block plane and palm sander a fair bit.

...but the single most used tool on TPCE is a small chunk of oak 1x2 the same length as 1/4 sheet of sand paper. Wrap the paper around the block and use it as a sanding block.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby paul.luna » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 pm

I found a good deal on a Kreg pocket hole kit on craigslist. I love the pocket hole jig!
paul.luna
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals