The Ladybug-Out

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Ladybug-Out

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm

It looks like you guys are having a great time!! And you are going to have an adorable teardrop that the whole family will be proud of and enjoy. Looking forward to seeing more of this build!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby harleykamper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:12 pm

That looks great guys! Keep it up. I like the single larger underfloor compartment. I couldn't fit that in my floor plan. Had to do two smaller ones. :applause:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
2008 anniversary edition Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Ultra Classic
Kustom KlamShell tent Trailer. (In build now)
The ClamShell Tent Trailer Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54531
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone, The rain is slowing things down here. :x Got the floor attached to frame and sitting on the wheels, made the covers for the boxes. next is varnishing the inside floor and inside of boxes. as soon as I've got the dry weather. Will cut out the cardboard template and check it. Poor Danny has Lyme disease. Bulls-eye and all. Doctor said it takes about 3 to 4wks for the bulls-eye to show up, so that means the scout hike he and his Dad took :( 20 days on antibiotics then we'll see. The poor little guys been running a fever and sleeping for 3 days :cry: hope he's feeling better soon :worship:
KarenB
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby JuneBug » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Wishing your little guy a speedy and complete recovery. Good that this was caught so treatment could begin.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby nhstt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Not a great summer for trips working and rain. Just got back from Barry's Romp in the swamp still tenting it :cry: But started building a shed in the box- hope to get more work done on the trailer over the winter and earlier in spring.Will post more pictures soon.
KarenB
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby dstydream » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 am

I am brand new to this site and I have been going over everything I can as fast as I can because I am just completely amazed by these campers. I too have the same trailer that you have and was not going to be able to use it for it's original purpose and was wondering if I could get rid of it to get a larger one to build a teardrop. How much did you put up in the front compared to what you added onto the back? Do you have any more pictures? I am really excited about finding this thread.
Amy
dstydream
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Amy,

This thread is my inspiration to attempt a build on the 40x48 trailer. My plan is to extend past the trailer 1 foot front-and-back to get 6 feet, and my profile curves out a bit from there to give an extra few inches. Still, my 6'3" son has told me to have fun with it, but he won't be using it... :roll:

To get the minimum 4 foot width for two people to sleep, you have to build over the fenders, and KarenB & Co.'s frame demonstrates that quite well.

The trailer tongue needs at least a foot of extension to keep your vehicle from crunching into the trailer during turns.

KarenB, hoping you all are doing well now and winter proves to be a fruitful time tor teardrop-building...
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 am

dstydream wrote:I am brand new to this site and I have been going over everything I can as fast as I can because I am just completely amazed by these campers. I too have the same trailer that you have and was not going to be able to use it for it's original purpose and was wondering if I could get rid of it to get a larger one to build a teardrop. How much did you put up in the front compared to what you added onto the back? Do you have any more pictures? I am really excited about finding this thread.
Amy

Amy,
You really need to find Roly's Stacker and 1/2 Nelson for inspiration. I'll find the link and list it here. I have a very old Subaru and was unwilling to pull much weight with it so that's how I got started. This should top out at 500 pounds empty. without the boxes even less. I'm able to build over the frame because I will be using a tongue extension (again from Roly's build) my shape uses whole sheets of maple Plywood, I'm going to paint it Marine Red. It's intended for two with boys still in a tent that will attach to the back-like a very modified Kampmaster. I have huge picture files of what I like and think that's a must for anyone.
some advise I should have followed is K.I.S.S :D If I was starting over I'd save the boxes for a second trailer just to keep it moving. Post more pictures as soon as Gordan's available! Maybe we can keep each other inspired and get these ready for spring camping. :twisted:
The Brooks Bunch
Karen
Last edited by nhstt on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:18 am

Glenn Butcher wrote:Amy,

This thread is my inspiration to attempt a build on the 40x48 trailer. My plan is to extend past the trailer 1 foot front-and-back to get 6 feet, and my profile curves out a bit from there to give an extra few inches. Still, my 6'3" son has told me to have fun with it, but he won't be using it... :roll:

To get the minimum 4 foot width for two people to sleep, you have to build over the fenders, and KarenB & Co.'s frame demonstrates that quite well.

The trailer tongue needs at least a foot of extension to keep your vehicle from crunching into the trailer during turns.

KarenB, hoping you all are doing well now and winter proves to be a fruitful time tor teardrop-building...

Glenn,
Tell your kid he can stay in the tent!!! you'll be off the ground!
I looked at lot's of design's before I went with the 1/2 fender. I wasn't brave enough to have none at all.
I'll get my notes out and write back with my exact dimensions. Because I'm in N.H. and it's always raining here I'm trying to keep water issues down. I can't put a aluminum roof on this to start but may add that down the road :D Right now I just want to get something camp-able, and have learned through the tearjerkers that you never stop working on these thing's
Karen
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:25 am

Amy and Glenn,
check out Harley camper earlier in this post you can learn a lot from what he did I have :thumbsup:
Karen
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:23 am

I know I've been quiet on this build for a while, :oops: but some work has gotten done. :D the spars are on, a headboard has been made and the ribs are cut. We will be doing the hatch in the next couple days. I have lots of photo's just need to get them in. Ive forgotten how to do that. :cry:
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 pm

This 10x10 garage from Ocean State Job Lots at $169 was a great idea :thumbsup: wish we'd gotten it sooner :NC

I'll try to catch everyone up on where we are hope the photo's are in order. :roll:

William checks out the sleeping accommodations. Too bad he'll still be sleeping on the ground ;)

Gordon siting in the door to see how comfortable it will be. Since we will only have the one we made it very big.

After adding a temporary spar to keep the sides in place and a couple screws through the side it gets rolled back in its
garage.
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Starting to glue spars.

First couple of spars are in!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YHLq ... .17.32.jpg

Sanding the door opening a little more before the inside door frame goes in.
working inside the garage didn't even have to roll her out :thumbsup:
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:28 pm

test fitting the vent between spars.

The door will go here :lol:

Danny and I workout the position for the headboard :)

Danny checks out the leg room. These lounge mats from Lowe's(gotten at a great price) will act as our pad til we can get a foam mattress.

Room for two.

Gordon try's it out too.

I had to try it out also.
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:48 pm

William cuts down the 2x4's into spar under close supervision from dad. :thumbsup:

Way to Go Will! We want the Boys to be able to say we made that! ;)

William is making some sawdust!

Danny takes sanding seriously.

I got to finish them up.
nhstt
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals