Bees wax

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Bees wax

Postby Phooey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Over the weekend I got an early xmas present, an 8" lodge dutch oven. It got me thinking about previous posts extolling the properties of bees wax for seasoning cast iron. I asked the DH if he knew of anyone in his department doing bee research that had some extra bees wax they would like to give to my research project. He remembered that one of the researchers has a "side business". Here is her website for anyone who is looking for a bees wax source. Haven't tried it out yet but will be doing so soon.

http://zspecialtyfood.com/index.php?cPa ... d754b77fe3

:D :twisted: :wine:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Re: Bees wax

Postby Wanna Be » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Let us know how it turns out.

Last added items 2007 ????

If it works I would be interested in ordering a small amount.

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Bees wax

Postby GerryS » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Phooey wrote:Over the weekend I got an early xmas present, an 8" lodge dutch oven. It got me thinking about previous posts extolling the properties of bees wax for seasoning cast iron. I asked the DH if he knew of anyone in his department doing bee research that had some extra bees wax they would like to give to my research project. He remembered that one of the researchers has a "side business". Here is her website for anyone who is looking for a bees wax source. Haven't tried it out yet but will be doing so soon.

http://zspecialtyfood.com/index.php?cPa ... d754b77fe3

:D :twisted: :wine:

Make sure you are using only 100% beeswax. Soy and paraffin are used yo cut the wax sometimes. Your best bet is to find a local beekeeper and buy direct if you can. A google search will quickly reveal the local associations of clubs...

These guys seem expensive....even with CCD...we bought 5 lbs for $15 at our state fair this summer.

I wouldn't buy less than a pound....we season a lot of CI, and keeping building layers. I'll put my flat iron against the best commercial non-stick you can buy!

I bought
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Phooey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:59 pm

This lady is the Director of the Honey and Pollination Center at the Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science at UC Davis so I am feeling pretty good about what she has to offer. I will probably be doing my "research" after the holiday.

8)
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Probably. My caution is to anyone who might find cosmetic beeswax on amazon...it's likely going to have those bad fillers...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Has anyone used Stakich? I ordered some but it hasn't arrived.

Edit: after reading that cosmetic grade wax will probably have contaminants. I just bought wax on E-bay! I have become a huge E-bay fan.
Last edited by rmcelroy on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby Betsey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:03 pm

There are several of us teardroppers who use beeswax on their cast iron & swear by it. It is wonderful!

As far as purchasing pure beeswax, contact a local apiary (beekeeper). Many sell their beeswax along with their honey. I have a good friend from who I purchase mine (and on behalf of many teardroppers, as well). Very clean, comes in 1/2lb & 1lb blocks. It runs $5/lb and a 1 lb block will do A LOT of cast iron.

Betsey
8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Bees wax part Two 12/30

Postby Phooey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:00 am

Well here is the second part of the story. Rob and I went out to Z Specialty Foods and bought 2 cakes of bees wax. While Rob was skiing I reseasoned my new 8" Lodge dutch oven and a griddle. Tonight was the big test and I cooked a cheesy potato dish with bacon in the new dutch oven in the back yard. The dish turned out well and clean up was a breeze compared to my other dutch ovens which were seasoned the regular way. The 10", 12" and pizza oven are all going to get the bees wax treatment. I am definitely a convert. I only used just a tiny portion of one cake to do the dutch oven and griddle and I think I will have more than enough with just one cake to do the rest of my iron and have plenty left over. For those people who might be on the fence, jump off and go for it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:46 am

My work is done here...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:21 am

Gerry was my inspiration.....

I decided to try it and am just as pleased as could be. I have reclaimed 5 or 6 rather badly treated piece of cast iron in the last couple of months and have become a convert also. When Gerry first mentioned it at a gathering I thought it just a bit strange, but decided to gave it a try. It is 10 times easier than multiple coatings and smoking up the kitchen to reclaim old iron. I especially like watching my fried eggs skating around in my new/old skillets.

Thanks again Gerry :thumbsup:

About 1/2 hour wet and dry sanding , a quick wash and burner dry, I let it get hot ,hot ,hot ,and applied 2 quick coats of wax taking about 8 minutes.

One note put down some foil or newspaper I dumped some of the liquid wax and had a hell of a time getting it off the floor and counter tile.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 am

Here is another discussion about wax. Scroll down a ways........

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=57379&p=1052025&hilit=bees+wax#p1052025
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Betsey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:35 pm

I would blame...ah...credit (yeah, that's it!) George H. from Tennessee as the one who got the ball rolling and greatly increased the number of beeswax converts in the teardrop community. Several years ago, he shared the process on another teardrop forum and soon had converted quite a few people. I now take orders for beeswax from those attending our fall gathering & every year, more people are giving it a try.

Having camped with George, he is also quite the CI guru. He is always cooking up something (literally) in his CI, whether at home or camping - sometimes over the fire, sometimes with charcoal and sometimes both. Here are a couple of pics of a few of his pieces in action (that's George in the first one):

He does the DO demos at our fall gathering every year. Doesn't have a set time...just stop by his site during the day, ask questions, pick up some tips, bring your own food to cook along side his and have a great visit.

Thanks George! :D

Betsey
8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:36 pm

As Betsey said, George is the Master. I just finished a skillet last month with Beeswax, and it is slick. The old saying, (Try it you'll like it) is true. If memory serves me right George called it Florida seasoning.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:As Betsey said, George is the Master. I just finished a skillet last month with Beeswax, and it is slick. The old saying, (Try it you'll like it) is true. If memory serves me right George called it Florida seasoning.

Yup…he's where I heard it from. We need to get him on this forum as well :D
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wanna Be » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:28 pm

We need to have a supplier on here as well !!!

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron