anyone towig with a dodge neon ?

All about towing and tow vehicles

anyone towig with a dodge neon ?

Postby Jim91303 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 am

I have a 2002 dodge neon .. 1000 pound max tow cap.

I been wanting to build a Scotty ( foamy Scotty) in the size of 6x8 ..... But concerned about the weight
Any one have an idea on the weight of a camper this size ?
I know a lot of ya will say build a teardrop ...... I'm not a fan of the smallness of them and the outdoor galley

Help with ideas please
Jim91303
Teardrop Inspector

Re: anyone towig with a dodge neon ?

Postby dodgedartgt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 pm

I have an '03 Neon, 2.ol / 5spd. I've towed with it for years, many times certainly exceeding the "rated towing capacity" (which IMO, is lawyer speak for "Don't sue us.") I've never had a problem. The bigger issue you'll find is not the weight, especially with a foamie, but the aerodynamic drag. I suggest taking a look at GPW's FoamStream build in the Foamie section.

If your Neon is an automatic, I definitely reccomend the addition of an additional trans cooler. I would also suggest considering adding a supplemental oil cooler, along with strict adherance to the "heavy duty usage" maintenance schedule.

Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Here is a neon towing a small camper. http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/4233413100.html It just happens to be a neon. I've seen this camper in person it is very well made.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill and Elaine » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Isn't the PT Cruiser mechanically a Neon with a stylish body?

I long thought that was the case.

If so, there are plenty of PT Cruisers towing LGs. In fact LGWW used one for years to tow their teardrops to shows and dealerships.
Bill and Elaine
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 am

My TV is a 1965 VW Bug ! I have towed a Little Guy 4 wide( 820 lbs) fer 3 years. Then I upgraded( I thought) to a 6ft by 10 ft standie that weighed in at 620 lbs. It was a German trailer constructed with tubular frame, aluminum skin and fiberglass top.

The problem( fer me ) was that I hadta "convert" the bench seats to a bed every nite ! Stow the table and "build" the bed. The bedding was stored in a "cubby" and hadta be retrieved each nite. The teardrop bed was ALWAYS a bed and ALWAYS made up ! Storage was plentiful, but it was UNDER the bench seats( bed).

If yer worried about when yer tired of stooping over... try stepping UP to git into a standie! Then prepare to "convert" yer seats into yer bed ! Stoping over to retrieve yer linnens and evrstuff else that is "stowed" under them bench seats.

Most folks I talk to would RATHER bend over to git IN than to step UP to "climb" in. I would zrecommend that you RENT a small "standie" and camp in it a couple a times before you go and make a BIG mistake. Not to mention the cost of a standie that you may find is MORE trouble than a Teardrop !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 am

In the UK the guidance is
1. manufacturer's guidelines
2. Existing caravanning general guidelines recommend that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85 percent of the unladen weight of the car. Although this is not a requirement by law, this recommendation is designed to help improve stablility when towing a caravan. http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/towing-trailers-or-caravans-with-vehicles-up-to-3-5-tonnes

This is a UK based website http://www.uktow.com/ and don't believe everything on your screen but it recons you could go up to 1499lb

Make Model Year Kerbweight (Kg) 85% (Kg) Towing Capacity (Kg) Towing Capacity (Lbs) Caravans Within Capacity
Dodge Neon SXT 2004 1191 1012.35 680 1499 Show Caravans
Dodge Neon SXT 2005 1191 1012.35 680 1499 Show Caravans
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:36 am

I found a useful website. It's metric but has a range of vehicles (uk models) that you can then compare your TD from a towing point of view.
http://www.whattowcar.com/
I chose my car, RAV4 and then randomly chose the first caravan model Abbey. Then chose the exact model of the RAV and a random Abbey model. I then adjusted the weight and dimensions of the caravan to match my TD and improved the airflow to very good. (MTPLM is the max overall weight.)

It then reports towing ability, starting on a hill, inclines etc.

In the UK we don't have the large sized trucks, seeing a F150 or a RAM is a surprise. Toyota and Lexus swap a few models over so a Landcruiser here is a Toyota and a Lexus there and we only get a few of your homegrown models. If in doubt choose something with about the same size, horsepower and weight.

It's a free website so remember what Tim McGraw says in Can't Tell Me Nothin' "free advice is worth the price you pay." :beer:
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles