Questions about Aluminum Trim

Finishes, paints and coatings

Questions about Aluminum Trim

Postby drewh1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:53 pm

I am getting ready to skin my project in aluminum (build - Heart of Gold). I would like some advice about what trim to use.

I don't want to use the edging with the vinyl strip insert so I see the following options:

1 - Teardrops trailer.net has 9' sections of body edging, measures 15/16th by 1/2 in. Says it is very easy to bend. The 15/16. I like that it comes in 9' sections although it is still too short for single piece along my roof edge. the 15/16th is also a bit wide for my hatch edging.
2 - teardroptrailerparts (vintage tech) has a 7/8th by 1/4" in 8' sections that I could use everywhere including the hatch seal edge.
3 - Lil bear has a variety of edging but seems quite a bit more expensive than the other alternatives.

Also wondering if I can use flat stock aluminum edging for the bottoms or should I use the the regular edge trim with the lip overlapping the bottom edge?

I would appreciate hearing from any of you that have used these trims and get your impressions and recommendations.

Thanks,

drew.
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Re: Questions about Aluminum Trim

Postby Irmo Atomics » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:08 am

I used a lot of flat stock that I got at a local metal distributor - it was in 20' lengths but they cut it to what I needed and sold it by the pound. I got my drip rail and 90 degree trim from a local RV dealer that does RV repair. What they didn't have in stock, they were able to order pretty quickly - it was 15 ft lengths.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby drewh1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:38 pm

thanks for the info and the photo, very helpful to see how the trim was done.

drew.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 am

My own take on it is that you need to have the lip on it and set it down over a good bead of GE Silicone II (not the first gen). I had the same problem with lengths and butt joined it and it came out fine.

Tony Latham
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby citylights » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 am

Wow I had the exact same questions. You just don't know until you get some experience with it.

I liked the RV edge trim for everywhere I had to bend it. Very easy to bend. I used it for the front, roof, and galley rounded edges.

I used 1 inch angle for all the unbent pieces. Lower edge, front bottom edge. Lots of small end pieces.

I also used the 1 inch angle for around my door jam trim. Really hard to bend! Took me all day to beat each door in place with a rubber mallat. There has got to be a better solution for that!

For around the doors, I used grants T molding, that worked great and easy.

I used 3/4 butyle tape for everything except the doors. On those I used a silicone sealant. It was thinner and easier to make the doors look good. But I assume it won't last as long.

Check me build thread, lots of aluminum working pictures.
citylights
500 Club

Postby drewh1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 pm

thanks Tony and John. I am starting to get an idea of what I need.

citylights wrote:Check me build thread, lots of aluminum working pictures.

I have gotten alot of good information from your build thread John - You did an amazing amount of aluminum work and edging. The Cooler really looks great and will last for 100 years!

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby danlott » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:11 pm

You should contact Grant at Lil Bear Tag-Alongs http://www.lilbear.teardrops.net/index.html

He lives up in Redding which is not to bad of a drive for you. He should be able to help will all the trim you need.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Ok - I ordered trim and aluminum sheets! pretty exciting place to be in my progress. i have a couple of questions.

Do I need a speed controller to use the edge trimmer in my router?

Should I use the laminate bit or a bearing edge bit?

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:32 am

I thought about buying a router speed control and didn't. I didn't have any problems with the speed. I've got a aluminum sheathed tongue box project in the shop right now and still no regrets.

You need a laminate trim bit with a bearing on it. I think they are only made with the bearing.

Trimming 040 aluminum is not a challenge with this system. I covered my aluminum with masking tape to avoid scratching it where the router base rode on it. You don't want to get a sharp piece of aluminum under it and drag it across the sheet.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:22 pm

What size and shape of aluminum trim is preferable to use for the sides of the galley lid?

I will be fiberglassing then painting my teardrop including the outside of the galley lid. I will need trim on the sides to keep rain and moisture out. I imagine a L shaped trim should be used. The side walls in the galley will be 1-1/8" thick/wide if that makes a difference in choosing the right trim.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:37 pm

tony.latham wrote:I thought about buying a router speed control and didn't. I didn't have any problems with the speed. I've got a aluminum sheathed tongue box project in the shop right now and still no regrets.

You need a laminate trim bit with a bearing on it. I think they are only made with the bearing.

Trimming 040 aluminum is not a challenge with this system. I covered my aluminum with masking tape to avoid scratching it where the router base rode on it. You don't want to get a sharp piece of aluminum under it and drag it across the sheet.

Thanks Tony! I cut some pieces on my miter saw without a problem. I'll skip the speed controller then. I have a couple of edging bits with bearings so should be ok.

Here is the aluminum . . .s
IMG_2627.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG (136.9 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
;)

drewh1
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets