Auto vs Trailer Tires?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Which do you prefer?

Auto Tire
76%
Trailer Tire
24%

Total votes : 91

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:23 am

jkplock,

I've used the liquid sealants for as long as I can remember...........but the manufacturers strongly recommend they NOT be used for highway speeds. Because, as SteveH commented, the balance will never be the same. The liquid..........as viscus as it is...........is still a liquid and flows around inside. The tires will never be balanced. If you did it just to get you to the next repair spot and had them clean out the "gunk", then it might make sense. These sealants are for things like tractor tires, and small utility trailers and garden trailers, wagons, and wheel barrows used off-road. In other words, tires which revolve slowly. Personally, I believe a real spare tire is the best thing to have to use in an emergency.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Kens » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:24 pm

I have the stock tires that came on my TS trailer. What I would like to do is put car tires on it. I have stock fenders. What size 12" car tires would fit? Kens
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:32 pm

Here's one for 'ya: tire rack linky
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:25 pm

SteveH wrote:Here's one for 'ya:

Just to be clear, a 145SR12 would be pretty much the same size as the stock tyre on Ken's TS trailer,
but in a car construction/compound/tread pattern. Why would that change be an improvement?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:07 pm

angib wrote:

Just to be clear, a 145SR12 would be pretty much the same size as the stock tyre on Ken's TS trailer,
but in a car construction/compound/tread pattern. Why would that change be an improvement?

Andrew

...better speed rating and ride characteristics...dunno, just a S.W.A.G. .............................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:26 pm

angib wrote:

Andrew

Andrew,

That's what Ken wanted...a car tire the same size as his 12" trailer tire. Maybe for looks, ride, speed, ???
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kens » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:58 pm

Just thought I would like something alittle fatter those trailer tires are so darn skinny and hard. Need a softer ride.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Finntec » Tue May 09, 2006 8:17 pm

We are stuck with the small trailer tire the trailer came with. Now that I have built my first trailer, I want to build a second. It will have auto tires to match the truck or suv towing it.
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby Melvin » Tue May 23, 2006 12:36 pm

Micro469 wrote:I just found out that it is illegal in Canada to use auto tires on a trailer.
They can't have a "p" rating, ave to have a "ST " rating. Too bad, I allready bought my tires, If they want to get down on thair hands and knees to check my tires they are more than welcome to..

That's not when you get burned, if your tires aren't rated for the load of the trailer and you have an accident (even if the tires aren't the cause) that's when the headaches start.

jplock wrote:Has anybody done without a spare tire and used some sort of temporary tire inflater with tire sealant to get you into a repair shop or a temporary parking spot untill you get the tire fixed? I am thinking of doing this has anyone had experience with this?

I wouldn't mess with that stuff on an RV. Almost no OTR semi trailers and most Tractors don't carry spares anymore. If they have a problem they just call a mobile tire place and have them come out. If you are prepared to spend the $150-200 to call one of those guys you don't even have to get dirty. You can usually get service 24X7X364 as long as your within an hour or two of an freeway/highway.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby traveler » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:19 pm

I choise the auto tire and rim for the trailer because it would interchange with my TV and it has worked out fine once. Only have to carry one spare. :thumbsup:
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Chris C wrote:Patience is a virtue of which I have very little. :lol:

You might wanna think 'bout a different hobbie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh....it will be 16" Dodge Durango wheels to match tow vehicle.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Gerdo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Mine are 205/75R15 Passenger car tires. I had trailer tires on at first but quickly changed to car tires. The trailer tires were hard and bounced alot. The ride is much better on the car tires. I have about 10,000 miles on them and show little to no wear. I also tow up to speeds of 80 mph and it tracks great.

I wanted to go with car tires so if I need to buy one while on the road I could find one easly. Cheaper too.

I'm happy with my car tires.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls