Shrink-wrap ?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Shrink-wrap ?

Postby BobBash » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 pm

I was watching a YouTube video the other day about a guy who was building a ice fishing shanty & was using the shrink-wrap that marina's use to winterize boats to cover his shanty . I didn't get to see the whole video & couldn't find it again but I was wondering if any members had tried it to cover a teardrop camper ? I know that it protects even large boats quite well over the winter or in outside storage, but I don't know how durable it would be going down the road at 65 miles per hour .
Has anyone tried this &/or knows if it's a viable option ?

Thanks ,
Bob
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Shrink-wrap ?

Postby cantsitstill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Sounds interesting. Sub'd to hear responses.
cantsitstill
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tac422 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:54 pm

When I picked up the Big Pink from Mike, I shrink wrapped it. (What I used was like industrial strength Saran wrap)
I thought it would protect the raw foam (it's a foamie) and keep the windows and door closed.
After towing just a couple blocks, I had to take it all off. The plastic slid up and came loose, then started to whip the foam. I tried redoing it tighter and more wrappings, but nope.
I never got it up close to highway speed.... that was just getting to the highway.
There's a picture on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=55425&start=15
tac422
500 Club

Postby cantsitstill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 pm

I don't think that's what OP is talking about. Looks like stretch film. Shrink wrap that is heat shrunk around boats is one big piece and much thicker.
cantsitstill
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:19 am

I would be concerned about moisture build up inside all that plastic. a cover that breathes is a better idea
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby BobBash » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Yes , I was refering to the large one piece of shrinkwrap that is heated to shrink it down to cover boats . The teardrop would need to be vented just as if it were totally fiberglassed .I'm picturing covering the teardrop , shrinking it down & then adding windows & doors , etc . Would it be durable enough ? Would windows & doors seal against it with weather stripping ?
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aussie leslie » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:02 pm

BobBash wrote:I was watching a YouTube video the other day about a guy who was building a ice fishing shanty & was using the shrink-wrap that marina's use to winterize boats to cover his shanty . I didn't get to see the whole video & couldn't find it again but I was wondering if any members had tried it to cover a teardrop camper ? I know that it protects even large boats quite well over the winter or in outside storage, but I don't know how durable it would be going down the road at 65 miles per hour .
Has anyone tried this &/or knows if it's a viable option ?

Thanks ,
Bob

Well what ever happened has anyone tried it as an experiment. ?
Aussie leslie
Teardrop Builder

Return to Skinning secrets