A New Approach For Backing A Trailer

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: A New Approach For Backing A Trailer

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 am

Dale M. wrote:Not to ruffle any feathers, but if you can not back up a trailer you should not be on the road with one.... That said, learn to back up, its not that hard..... Yes, I will even avoid going in to parking lots or tight places if I can avoid having to do excessive maneuvering trying to back out of some place that is pretty tight...

And yes the front hitch has its merits..... Seen it work for people who really need to "see" where trailer is going....and its same principle as backing up.... its just driver is facing direction you are going instead of looking over ones shoulder or using mirrors.... Works exceptionally well at the the boat ramp down at the ol' pond....

Dale

No ruffled feathers here. Thanks for the input! :)
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 am

Dale M. wrote:................ if you can not back up a trailer you should not be on the road with one..............Dale

Someone ought to tell the Australians they're doing it all wrong and they shouldn't be on the road with their trailers. No way anyone could back up one of these. Just sayin.

http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm

eamarquardt wrote:
Dale M. wrote:................ if you can not back up a trailer you should not be on the road with one..............Dale

Someone ought to tell the Australians they're doing it all wrong and they shouldn't be on the road with their trailers. No way anyone could back up one of these. Just sayin.

http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/

What about overtaking one of them....
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:59 pm

From what I can learn the "truckies" drive about 100kph/70mph. They also are not allowed near cities so traffic on the roads they frequent is minimal. The roads, though, are reported to be narrow. Soooooo, passing one could be pretty exciting.

Here's an interesting article: http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/id5.html

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59 pm

...............Not to ruffle any feathers, but if you can not back up a trailer you should not be on the road with one.............

Now that I have more time for adding clarification, and after making sure my feathers aren't ruffled, or my undies in a bunch, etc., :shock: :

I drove/hauled a loaded horse trailer around years ago, have dragged a U Hall across country (including over the Rocky Mtns.), and have done all the driving with the teardrop (Bob's truck, my teardrop). While driving in general, I've never been in or caused an accident (knock on wood), only 1 traffic ticket ever (yeah, I was speeding), don't drive with a cell phone stuck in my ear, etc. Didn't realize I was such a road hazard because I don't like to back in a trailer. Never said I couldn't, nor Bob for that matter. I can do it, but it takes me a long time and a lot of swearing under my breath to accomplish it. Bob usually backs straight in, just fine.

The "cheating" part comes in due to my penchant for wanting the teardrop placed in it's "perfect" spot on site. While some sites can be backed into, the canopie(s)/luggable room and everything set up without much fuss-----sometimes we use the dolly to move the teardrop/gear to face better views, catch the breeze through the open doors (better ventilation), get more privacy from neighboring sites or get around trees in the way.

As for getting the trailer into the backyard-------I suppose the experts here could do it "no problemo :applause: ", but it requires backing a right angled turn off the driveway, while missing an evergreen tree, than angling back to the left, going backwards approximately 32 feet alongside garage (width 15 feet between garage and fence), where it narrows down to 8 feet with an angle to the left, missing more evergreen trees to the right and a heavy wooden clothesline pole to the left. Finally landing under it's semi-permanent, summer canopy, 10 feet from the lot line (keeps the neighbor happy). Oh, on a slight downhill slope all the way. We push it there with the dolly----haven't hit the garage, trees, fence or clothesline yet. If that makes us backing scofflaws, so be it :)

Here's another fun youtube about backing,---a horse trailer this time. After the first time he pops his head through her truck window, I was thinking "Where's the pepper spray?" :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4A9oIip7CM
Last edited by Backroads4me on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 am

I learned how to back a trailer a few weeks after I learned to drive, (20+ years ago) we took the trash to the town dump in an old boat trailer with a box on it, (longer trailers from the hitch to the axle are easier) we had to back into the dump area at the dump. put your hand on the bottom of the wheel and it won't take long to learn especially if you have to do it every week...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 am

I believe backing a trailer is a lot like a great many different things in life. If you think you can do it you probably can, with some practice. If you think you can't do it, think you'll back into the fence, etc... in other words if you think negative thoughts, the chances are good you will have problems.

I am impressed with the ingenuity shown in developing such a device, though.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 pm

I find backing a trailer to be like riding a bike. For many years I owned a truck and didn't own any trailers. A few years ago I bought one again and discovered I still knew how to back one up.
Getting free fire wood last year I had to back into a guys back yard, I had about 6" to spare total or I would scrape the guys house, it was nice to be able to get in and out many times with out any trouble.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:36 am

Vedette wrote:There is another really good trick one can use when backing up.
Slow Down!! :thinking:
It is amazing how easy it is for your brain to process that reverse motion at a slower speed! :?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Why bother with reverse motion? When backing the trailer, move your steering hand/s to the bottom of the wheel instead of the top and turn the wheel in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Or just leave your hands up top and remember to reference the bottom of the wheel when you back. Eventually it becomes second nature.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles