TC Teardrops

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: TC Teardrops

Postby RioWilson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 am

Backroads4me wrote:Will be picking up my 5 X 9 TCTeardrop next Wed (the 27th). Went with the RAL6004 Dark Blue Green for the sides, black fenders, the steel rims with the "Baby Moon" hubcaps, and a darker antique maple stain for the inside and galley. Have a bunch of different ideas for the bedding and curtains, can't wait to get started on them. Looking forward to camping season, and will hopefully make it to the TCTeardrop camp gathering planned in October, just east of Portage, Wisconsin. Anyone else going?

Deb

***Will post photos as soon as I bring "Solitude" home. Have a copy of an O. Winston Link nighttime photograph featuring a steam train about to pass a town sign of "Solitude". Just love that photo.******

That's awesome Deb! Congratulations. We are hoping to attend the gathering in October. Indian Trails Campground is an awesome place - we were seasonals there for several years. We haven't settled on a name yet - we're leaving in a little over a week on a trip to South Carolina and Florida with ours - so we're hoping something comes to mind during that 2000 mile adventure!
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Bob and I picked up our TCT 5 x 9 last week, it pulled like a dream. I have to say that Todd and Carol are the very best folks to work with. Very accomodating to my requests for some changes and very quick to answer any questions by phone or email.

I wanted to mention the "You're kidding me" :shock: jaw-dropping, absolutely wonderful customer service answer and solution to a problem I encountered about the color of my teardrop. To make a long story short---don't trust a computer monitor to give a true representation of a color, regardless how many websites you check the sample against. What I thought was my dream color (I was an art major, I'm picky), wasn't in real life, but hey, I can live with it. In an email, I casually mentioned my color difference to Todd & Carol (while asking about something), and they basically said if I really didn't like it, they could fix the problem, I didn't have to live with it. They wanted me to be 100% happy with my teardrop. And while I'm not at liberty to discuss the exact details at this time, you just don't find this kind of "service after the sale", bending over backwards to make the customer happy, kind of thing almost anywhere, anymore.

Since color doesn't have anything to do with the serviceability of the teardrop, and I should have known better (afterall, I've ordered enough stuff over the net to know about color issues), I'm not going to take their very, very generous offer. But to have them make the offer was extraordinary! Todd and Carol, Thank You! :thumbsup:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby RioWilson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 am

RioWilson wrote:
wildboar wrote:RioWilson,

I plan on puling my 5x9 with a VW Golf TDI. I was wondering if you notice much sag in the rear suspension of your Jetta when pulling your 5x9?

-Dan

Hardly any Dan....

Good luck!

Update: we are half way through a 2 week trip and when we had it and the car packed to the gills there was some noticeable sag. Not enough to worry about IMO. Jetta has pulled it great...averaging 26 mpg @ 65 mph. We have put on 2000 miles this trip. And the trailer is awesome. We are sitting on the florida coast enjoying it immensely.
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 am

Hope your taking lots of photos! Would love to see some of your adventure with the TCT. Enjoy the rest of your vacation, it's snowing like heck here.

Deb
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby moxie50 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 am

We'll be there, turns out to be my wife's birthday! Any musicians? Bringin my Les Paul and "camper amper". Saw a booth at Canoecopia, that campground looks very big and well featured, if not so "rustic". Can't wait. (see my post from last fall) Jay
moxie50
Teardrop Inspector

Postby HappyHiker » Thu May 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Any additional info you guys can give on your teardrops (what you would and wouldn't order) would be appreciated.
I'm about 90% convinced I'll be ordering from this company later this year and would love to know what you like and dislike in your own builds so I can avoid those pitfalls myself.

Thanks!
HappyHiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drock73 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:54 am

We purchased one of the first TC Teardrop trailers made and love it.

drock73
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RioWilson » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:58 pm

drock73 wrote:We purchased one of the first TC Teardrop trailers made and love it.

That's great to see! - are you guys the original owners? We still love ours - just added a cargo box to the rack for our trip to the Gulf Coast in 2 weeks....
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby drock73 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 pm

RioWilson wrote:
drock73 wrote:We purchased one of the first TC Teardrop trailers made and love it.

That's great to see! - are you guys the original owners? We still love ours - just added a cargo box to the rack for our trip to the Gulf Coast in 2 weeks....

Yep! I think we we had it made around 2008. I have been thinking about adding a cargo rack as well. Thought we could put the ac unit up there and run the plumbing to come out just above our heads. Would also be able to lock/mount it perminately.
drock73
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RioWilson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34 pm

I created a TC Teardrops Owners Group on Facebook if anyone is interested in joining you can PM Me here, or shoot me an email at mike <at> smallsitehost.com - I think you can also just search for it on Facebook and request to join.

Also the 2nd annual TC Teardrops Rally is set for the first weekend in October 2014 - Should be 10/3-10/5 at Indian Trails Campground in Pardeeville, WI.
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby dreamofcolors » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:21 pm

So, I'm about 90% sure that I'm planning to purchase a TC Teardrops 5x9. I live in North Carolina, so I will have never seen one in person, but the reviews I've read here has me convinced it's the way to go.

What extras can you not live without? What kind of extras could I do on my own over time? (I am a theatrical electrician and know my way around a power tool and basic wiring )

I assume at the minimum I need a fan, battery,etc, but maybe I can add those on my own? I'm also planning to get the waterproof toolbox and the rack mounts (but not the full rack system).

I plan to make my own cover down the road (though it will be stored in a shed/barn at my family homestead and mostly protected there). Living in the south, I want A/C, but am trying to pay cash and that $550 is something I don't want to pay for right away if I don't have to.

Any input and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby RioWilson » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:00 pm

dreamofcolors wrote:So, I'm about 90% sure that I'm planning to purchase a TC Teardrops 5x9. I live in North Carolina, so I will have never seen one in person, but the reviews I've read here has me convinced it's the way to go.

What extras can you not live without? What kind of extras could I do on my own over time? (I am a theatrical electrician and know my way around a power tool and basic wiring )

I assume at the minimum I need a fan, battery,etc, but maybe I can add those on my own? I'm also planning to get the waterproof toolbox and the rack mounts (but not the full rack system).

I plan to make my own cover down the road (though it will be stored in a shed/barn at my family homestead and mostly protected there). Living in the south, I want A/C, but am trying to pay cash and that $550 is something I don't want to pay for right away if I don't have to.

Any input and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The only extra I can't live without is my heated mattress pad cover - but that's for winter camping! You are right on about the landing pads. Other than that, everything else can be added later on. Theatrical electrician? Small world - I was one of those once out in the SF Bay Area before I moved here to work for Electronic Theatre Controls - but I have since changed careers twice (I left ETC in 1998). You'll be able to easily add any 120 or 12 V devices you need. The best thing about the TCTeardrops is that they are very utilitarian and you can add plenty of stuff. We've never been sorry that we bought ours!
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby dreamofcolors » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 pm

RioWilson wrote:
The only extra I can't live without is my heated mattress pad cover - but that's for winter camping! You are right on about the landing pads. Other than that, everything else can be added later on. Theatrical electrician? Small world - I was one of those once out in the SF Bay Area before I moveed here to work for Electronic Theatre Controls - but I have since changed careers twice (I left ETC in 1998). You'll be able to easily add any 120 or 12 V devices you need. The best thing about the TCTeardrops is that they are very utilitarian and you can add plenty of stuff. We've never been sorry that we bought ours!

ETC, eh? Very cool! I run an ETC Ion at my theater (I'm the head electrician at a road house in Charlotte, and the lighting supervisor of Charlotte Ballet). Very small world!

I figured I would have no problem doing wiring, etc. I like the utilitarian aspect to the TC Teardrops, because I will be able to customize it myself. I deal mostly in AC, of course, on stage, but I'm sure I can figure out the DC stuff just fine! I'm sure these forums will have plenty of tips and tricks.

Thanks for your insight. In talking with Todd, he said the most important things were the landing pads and a ceiling fan. Maybe that's all I will go with... I'm still worried about southern heat and camping in a trailer without Air conditioning in summer, but only time will tell!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreamofcolors » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 pm

RioWilson wrote:
The only extra I can't live without is my heated mattress pad cover - but that's for winter camping! You are right on about the landing pads. Other than that, everything else can be added later on. Theatrical electrician? Small world - I was one of those once out in the SF Bay Area before I moveed here to work for Electronic Theatre Controls - but I have since changed careers twice (I left ETC in 1998). You'll be able to easily add any 120 or 12 V devices you need. The best thing about the TCTeardrops is that they are very utilitarian and you can add plenty of stuff. We've never been sorry that we bought ours!

ETC, eh? Very cool! I run an ETC Ion at my theater (I'm the head electrician at a road house in Charlotte, and the lighting supervisor of Charlotte Ballet). Very small world!

I figured I would have no problem doing wiring, etc. I like the utilitarian aspect to the TC Teardrops, because I will be able to customize it myself. I deal mostly in AC, of course, on stage, but I'm sure I can figure out the DC stuff just fine! I'm sure these forums will have plenty of tips and tricks.

Thanks for your insight. In talking with Todd, he said the most important things were the landing pads and a ceiling fan. Maybe that's all I will go with... I'm still worried about southern heat and camping in a trailer without Air conditioning in summer, but only time will tell!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers