Fiberglass reinforced plastic

Finishes, paints and coatings

Fiberglass reinforced plastic

Postby Ystava » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

such as

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Compo ... 5yc1vZbqk5

Not rated for exterior.

Is that because it is not UV stable, and if so, could it be painted to overcome that issue?

Would there be other concerns?
Ystava
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fiberglass reinforced plastic

Postby RandyG » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 pm

There are quite a few people that have used Frp with no issues. From what I have researched, it is an alternative to skinning with Al if you plan on painting it.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby Ystava » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:31 pm

great

Seems quite a bit less expensive and seems better than painting the raw wood with marine paint.
Ystava
Teardrop Inspector

Postby razorback » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:18 pm

My TD has FRP on the roof, the sides, inside walls and floor.
I stumbled into a salvage place that had rolls 6' 8" wide and as long as you want.
I got enough to do the inside and out side of my td for 108.00
Sherwin Williams recommended I use Krylon spray paint for plastic.
I did, then they said any quality latex exterior would stick and provide UV protection.
I have had it on since early 2007.
No problems.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Triumph3 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 pm

I think I'll explore the FRP and Krylon spray paint for my simple TD Cargo trailer (maybe that's why I can't find epoxy anywhere...it wasn't meant to be :D )

thanks for the link/post.!
Triumph3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Krusty » Mon May 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Think this would serve as a suitable, lightweight surface to supplement fiberglass on a foamie? As I'm starting to glass my foamie I'm finding that I really would like something to easily lay on the flat surfaces and then tape around the corners with fiberglass to seal things up.
Krusty
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WildBill » Mon May 19, 2014 6:44 am

I was walking around Lowe's the other day and noticed this frp and thought it would probably work good somewhere on my TD build...hmm..
Since reading this thread, I'm feeling strongly about using it as a skin and a roof. I looked around for some graphics to add to the sides and found a few good ones on Ebay that would look good. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of nicely stained and varnished wood, but using this frp will probably give a more professional look to the outside of the TD. Especially with a nice graphic.

(image copied from web)
WildBill
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hartse25 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:20 pm

I am in the early planning stages of my teardrop, just taking it all in and making notes about what I want to do. I want to keep my td light, I like the idea and cost of the frp over an aluminum skin. Could you just put the frp over your frame and foam without putting plywood over the foam? Would this be stable enough hold up shelves or cabinets? I was thinking maybe frp on the outside and plywood on this inside, mostly because of looks.

Thanks,
Erin
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeKgaines » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Hartse25 wrote:I am in the early planning stages of my teardrop, just taking it all in and making notes about what I want to do. I want to keep my td light, I like the idea and cost of the frp over an aluminum skin. Could you just put the frp over your frame and foam without putting plywood over the foam? Would this be stable enough hold up shelves or cabinets? I was thinking maybe frp on the outside and plywood on this inside, mostly because of looks.

Thanks,
Erin

Erin, If you employ basic framing principles you can hang your cabinets. Make sure that you frame out your cabinet placement on your sides and spars...that way you aren't relying on your side coverings, no matter what it is, to hold the cabinets in place. My TD is in the planning and mock up stage. I will be using FRP for the roof and interior panels sandwiching foam-board between with solid Plywood panels for the sides. This gives me solid cabinets holds for the sides and will place my spars so they coincide with my cabinet design.

Mike G
Mikey G...

Keep your words soft and sweet, you never know when you will have to eat them. ~Alfred E. Newman
mikeKgaines
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:35 am

Heres my experience with FRP. Almost 25 years and it still looks great....even shiny!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35105

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ajpat3 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 am

FRP is what I want to use for the roadside layer of my new floor. I was thinking of glueing it to 1/2in plywood with something like sikaflex adhesive. Does that sound like an exceptable method?

Arthur
ajpat3
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets