220J re assembly

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

220J re assembly

Postby rjd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Went well thanks to the directions from http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/re_1lant_c.php .
Problem is I'm not getting the hissing sound after I re assembly it . Can get an High pressure hiss and a flame if I remove the air tube and mantle assembly but nothing with it installed . Only have about a 1/4 of the fount filled with fuel ? Any thoughts>
rjd
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 220J re assembly

Postby Zollinger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 am

:thinking: Are the air tubes clear? How about the screens inside the air tubes? All it takes is one littlebittyspider to stop the air flow. Post back if that don't work. Some one around here will be able to help get it going.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Air tubes are clean . Can see the air/fuel pressure push lighter flame around. Trying to find a generator in small town Nebraska didn't go well!
rjd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Zollinger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:51 pm

O.K. Hmmmm I would try adding a bit more fuel. Pump it up good and make sure that it holds pressure for a few hours. It could be a bad gasket on the fuel cap. Try soaking the genny in carb cleaner. You can light the lantern without mantles to make sure it works, just don't run it for more than a few minutes or it can over heat. Gennys can be found on-line at oldcolemanparts.com.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjd » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 pm

Holds pressure for over 24 hours . How tight is generator supposed to fit in air tubes? Figured I'ld start with the newest one of the 3 I have .
rjd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 am

rjd wrote:Went well thanks to the directions from http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/re_1lant_c.php .
Problem is I'm not getting the hissing sound after I re assembly it . Can get an High pressure hiss and a flame if I remove the air tube and mantle assembly but nothing with it installed . Only have about a 1/4 of the fount filled with fuel ? Any thoughts>

I am not sure what you mean you removed and then get a hiss.

If you remove only the generator do you get anything when you crack the valve? If you have something there then the generator is plugged. If you don't get anything there then the problem lies below.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby rjd » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 pm

The hiss I refer to is the sound of the pressure coming out of the lantern valve body . Assume this pressurized fuel. I get a hiss from the valve body of the lantern . And at the top of the generator . Install the air tubes cannt seem to hear the hiss . Can see the fuel/air pressure move the flame of lighter. Just waiting to get out of town to get a replacement generator.

Just looking for any input . On the plus side it doesn't work any worst then when I started!
rjd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Starting to sound like the genny to me also.

If you are really cheap and have an adventurous side you can clean and rebuild them.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby rjd » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 pm

New generator installed. Still wont light .Hold lighter under area where mantles and you can see the lighter flame pushed around by the pressure coming out. Might start all over with the tear down and cleaning to make sure I didn't miss something .
rjd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 pm

If you take the genny off and open the valve do you get any liquid or just air? It should be spitting some liquid specially if you open the valve all the way, should be getting straight liquid.

Do this, take the genny off. Take the fuel cap off to release all pressure. Put cap back on, open fuel valve all the way then put a pump or 2 of pressure. Should be getting straight liquid. If not then the fuel pick up tube is plugged and the valve assembly will need to be removed and the tube cleaned. Fount is probably also pretty cruddy.

Be safe, no flame, If you have kerosene or diesel handy put the in the fount. less flammable and all that stuff.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Try what Randy suggested first, but I am willing to bet the fuel and air tube is plugged with crud. Common problem when lantern is stored for long periods with fuel in the fount.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Get a bubble mix. Not a straight stream.
Guess apart it comes again .
rjd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Zollinger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 pm

Yup. I think you found your problem.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:20 pm

So is it working yet.. If not here and a good video on lantern. the Greens ones Air/fule tube is the same.

How to Rebuild a Coleman 200A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ijUgivUFQ
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:39 pm

I do the same as Randy when I tear a lantern all the way down. To eliminate putting it back together, only to tear it down, I always change the fuel cap gasket. Then with the fuel knob, closed I pump it some. Open the knob while under pressure. and see if fuel bubbles to spurts out. DO THIS OUTSIDE and point the value away so you don't get a face full of fuel. If you get a good steam, shut everything down. I then put JUST the generator back on. Repeat the same process. You should get a nice consistent mist that shoots out the top of the generator. If everything is working right. It should shoot 4-5 feet. If you get no stream, while under pressure shake the font up and down. Sometimes this will break things loose. If nothing, the generator is the problem. Try the Carb cleaner like Dawn suggested. If that does not work, replace the generator. Repeat the test process, before putting the whole lantern back together. If you don't have a new generator, you could always borrow one off a similar lantern that you know works.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment