Jeep liberty question

All about towing and tow vehicles

Jeep liberty question

Postby GerryS » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Any jeep liberty (2005 vintage) owners out there? I need to know the height of the receiver measured from the ground to the bottom edge go the receiver. I've got a new tow vehicle and I need to figure out how much drop I need in I my new drawbar....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Jeep liberty question

Postby Tobit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:13 pm

GerryS wrote:Any jeep liberty (2005 vintage) owners out there? I need to know the height of the receiver measured from the ground to the bottom edge go the receiver. I've got a new tow vehicle and I need to figure out how much drop I need in I my new drawbar....

My mother, whom happens to live down the road, has a 2006 Liberty I can measure for you. However, it is too cold and dark to do it tonight. I'll try to do it tomorrow.
Tobit
Teardrop Builder

Postby GerryS » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 pm

I'd appreciate it. I just traded mine in on an f150 and don't want to run around like crazy finding a new drawbar on April.....

I want to get it ordered now!

Let me guess....17 inches...one would think this information would be readily available with a. Good search engine...apparently not.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 pm

On my 2009 Jeep Liberty, that measures 17". Don't know if that will help or not; but, it gives you an idea of the height.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Tobit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

LOL. I just traded in my Jeep Wrangler for a 2011 F-150 XLT off-road.
Tobit
Teardrop Builder

Postby GerryS » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:05 am

2009 lariat super crew 6.5 foot bed and 4x4 off road :)

Really like it. Just not the payment :). I got what I hope was a good price, but you never know the cost until a few months and the hide surprises show up....so far, just a new fan controller module for the HVAC. With any luck, that will be here today....

Miss the liberty economy....it was a CRD. The only problem I had was hard starts at -15 and it was a little weak pulling serenity up the grades in Virginia....could only hold 65...

I was spoiled by 5.4 liters a few years ago....I needed more cargo, so here we go again :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:54 am

Just measure bottom of new TV receiver to ground... Set trailer level.... Put the ball in trailer socket, measure from base of ball to ground.... Subtract smaller from larger to get difference, go to Auto Parts or RV dealer and get draw bar with the same dimension from bottom of draw bar (at receiver) to top of where ball mounts........

Also be aware some new vehicles (maybe only those with large payload capacity) now have 3 inch receiver (or maybe its 2-1/2 inch) ..... You may need adapter to use 2 inch draw bar....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with stock sized tires. Here is my setup:

My hitch has a 2 inch drop. I went out into the parking lot and measured like you asked and it was 14". The problem is the parking lot is snow packed so I'm not sure if the measurement is accurate. I will re-measure when I can get it on dry pavement.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:32 pm

I had the same problem with not spare...I never added the extension...but a couple time I did have to remove the tire :/. 14 sounds right. Now to beasure the f150 probably going to need a 4 inch drop from the way it looks....that thing is tall!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 am

GerryS wrote:I had the same problem with not spare...I never added the extension...but a couple time I did have to remove the tire :/. 14 sounds right. Now to beasure the f150 probably going to need a 4 inch drop from the way it looks....that thing is tall!

My 2005 F-150 requires a 4 inch drop.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 am

Dale M. wrote:Just measure bottom of new TV receiver to ground... Set trailer level.... Put the ball in trailer socket, measure from base of ball to ground.... Subtract smaller from larger to get difference, go to Auto Parts or RV dealer and get draw bar with the same dimension from bottom of draw bar (at receiver) to top of where ball mounts........

Also be aware some new vehicles (maybe only those with large payload capacity) now have 3 inch receiver (or maybe its 2-1/2 inch) ..... You may need adapter to use 2 inch draw bar....

Dale

THis is the absolute best information you will get.....................

My years as a U-Haul center manager we set all installed hitches with a draw bar that elevated the very top of the ball at 17". This is the norn for a factory built trailer.

HOWEVER !

There are exceptions with lowered trailers with springs under the axle. Best case is to level the trailer on level ground and measure into the cup and install a ball mount with ball that will give you this measurement or slightly less. You want to remain level or nosed down not nose up for best towing manners.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:57 am

4 inch drop is really what I was looking for, but since all trailers are a little different, I didn't want to ask that question specifically. I would figure that number based on the drop from my current draw bar. 4 inches is what I would need as well.

Doesn't matter...I don't own the f150 any more. That was the fastest I was ever in and out of a vehicle...2 weeks.

Yup. You heart it. As part of the sale, the dealer agreed to fix a problem with the sunroof....2 trips, $800 in parts, more in labor, still out of alignment and not working when their lot boy move the truck, who the. Proceeded to wrecked it. The dealer just threw his hands in the air and handed me the check back...car lots aren't know for refunds...they even paying for the loan initiate fees from my bank and interest due...and they paid me for the parts I put in the vehicle during the week that I had it (blower resistor)

Obviously this is an abbreviated story....leave it to say. I'm looking for another f150...

I have chosen to just laugh about it. I miss it already :(
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Jeep liberty question

Postby GerryS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:58 am

Bob, what center did you run and when? I did a 3 month stretch for them back in 92 I think. Awful people to work for...60 hour weeks for the center manager for 30grand a year. And talk about abusive!

Picture a Saturday morning on may, college town...line of people out the door and around the building to pickup. And I get a phone call to test if I was staying on script or not....

Th as you for calling u-haul where you get the best equipment (LOL!) for the lowest cost. How can I help you today...

Man, I hated that place...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby notned » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 pm

I had a Liberty too. I had the problem with the spare in the way too. After awhile we figured out to open the door while hooking up.
notned
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Yup. Same problem...I can get it on now after a little practice. But the first year I had to remove the spare every time :)

I'd say we have a design flaw.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles