Are you a member of AAA or other travel service?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Are you a member of AAA or other travel service?

Postby tscarbroughdc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 pm

In anticipation of traveling this year, I am wondering if I need to sign back up with AAA or some other campground service.

So are you a member of anything? And why or why not?

Thanks!
tscarbroughdc
Teardrop Master

Re: Are you a member of AAA or other travel service?

Postby rowerwet » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:07 am

I've been a AAA member since I had a car, the discounts at tourist places, hotels (I get better rates with AAA than my employer with their airline discount), rental cars (Hertz is 15% off), stores, trips, restaurants, etc. adds up, (look in the newsletter they give lists each month for discounts) and have been a life saver for breakdowns back when I drove old cars. I also have the AAA credit card, which gives me money off my gas for using it for everything else. (never paid a cent in interest yet) Having the credit card has saved me more than once when I went to use it and had people ask if I was a AAA member.
Here in MA, the AAA insurance agent was a huge help getting my cars and trailer transferred to a MA reg. My parents are going on a trip to see the Panama canal, we were talking about travel and security issues abroad, I told them their best bet was to talk to the AAA travel agents about all of that as they would have the latest info. They will also do the Passport photos and help you with the process. Of course for me this is a big help as I live less than a mile from the nearest office.
AAA roadside assistance will help you with your TV, they won't do much for your trailer from what I hear.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 am

We bought an RV Plus which means in case of truly catastrophic they will send two tow trucks one for the TV and the other for the tear. Good Sam also has an RV pan but is more expensive. The big advantage to AAA is that there is a local office and trip planning can be a help.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 am

We have the AAA RV plus and it came in handy a few years ago when our fuel pump was dyeing in Coos Bay Oregon.
Fortunately we broke down right in front of where it was repaired.
AAA sent a tow truck and towed our teardrop to the local RV campground.
They had a 2" ball on the end of the lift and it was quite the sight seeing a small trailer at the back of the tow truck.
We were the only teardrop at the campground and it seemed everyone had to do the tour.
Having the RV plus made a bad situation into a great one.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

We also have and use the AAA services and a lot of times when we are traveling with friends the gracious camp ground or hotel host will extend our discount(s) over to our traveling buddy's more times than not. I cannot complain, I have been with AAA since 1970. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:14 am

We are AAA Gold and when we head out to Maine this summer I will join the KOA club as I normally do on long trips. AAA Gold allows me roughly 120 miles of free transport in the event I have a problem and I have used it several times with my daughters. AAA travel books are well worth it. Cheri reads off the attractions as we drive by cities and the number of times it has resulted in a stop has bee well worth it. I would never have visited the Zippo lighter factory without it and being in college in the 70's I never had a peace lighter :peace: until just a couple of years ago. Always wanted one. Thanks AAA.

KOA is only worth it if you are going on an extended trip. You have to use it several nights before you break even but I find the priority service can be beneficial. We try to stay at state parks but sometimes you just need wifi and a pool.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Verna » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 am

AAA RV Plus here also. I love the fact that they will send out two wreckers if needed.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby tscarbroughdc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 am

I was wondering. Being a member of AAA for a number of years and only using it a few times, I calculated that I could just spend the money out of pocket for what i paid.

And I've never found the AAA discount worth anything myself.

I'm trying to decide if I should renew since the kids and I will he traveling some this summer
tscarbroughdc
Teardrop Master

Postby Verna » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 am

I have trouble changing a tire, I'm not a mechanic and this is an insurance policy for me. The last time I had a flat , the poor guy changed the tire in a thunderstorm, and I really did feel for him.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:15 pm

I too have AAA plus the rv coverage and it woks great, haven't even gotten a flat since I got it. Might be a coincidence?
My mom and my kids are also AAA covered. For the times it has been used it was comforting to know it is there and it gives me a sense of comfort as I traverse around.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I'm a AAA member,
I more than made up for the cost of the membership with towing service and unlock service. The only negative comments I can make are:
1) Although the offer RV coverage, they don't have established RV tow companies everywhere in the US. A few years ago I broke down with an RV in Arkansas, and it took them over an hour to locate someone who could tow me. Probably not an issue with a TD.
2) Any "free tow" takes third priority with the tow company. First priority are tows requested by Police etc, 2nd are paying people, and third are the auto clubs., so you can end up waiting a while if they have other higher priority calls, but if you have that expectation you should be ok
3) I forget to use it for discounts, which is my fault.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby deleted » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:41 pm

When I got stuck on the side of I-90 during a white-out hail storm last summer I called the Gillette, WY police department. They called the highway patrol who called AAA for me to send out a wrecker. The wrecker showed up in 20 minutes to pull me out of the ice on the shoulder near the top of an incline straight to the top where I was able to gain traction where another car had spun out after hydroplaning. Because I had a premium membership that included my trailer the whole thing was free, quick, and easy.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ae6black » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:40 pm

I gave it up after needing it once and the truck never showed up after waiting for two hours. Another reason is that I've had garage owners in the Churches I've serve that refused to be affiliated with AAA. Since I have towing on my insurance, I pay the bill up front and then am remembursed by my insurance company. Since I've blown a bunch of tires on my former pop up, I try to have enough tools and spares with me just in case.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:28 pm

I use Good Sam's Emergency Road Service, but we are still pulling a 32' fifth wheeler. They are more orientated to the RV'ers. Back in '09 we lost 3 injectors on I-95 coming into Maine and the 4th at the dealership. Within 45 mins of calling GS a big boy wreaker had the truck with trailer still connected in tow to the dealership. The money seemed well spent at the time. But then my truck is an '04 and the jack has never been out of the brackets. They are some what more expensive but have been worth the cost to me.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Camping Secrets