Jeep liberty question

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Jeep liberty question

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:10 pm

My spare is in a floor pocket, behind the last seats; so, I think Jeep recognized the problem.
But then, we all know that Jeep discontinued making the Liberty model....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GerryS » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:00 am

Not to mention easier to steal. I dunno...the new jeeps are so feminized...I'm not anti woman, I just don't like being treated like one.

I'll never buy a new one again. Sad....

Jeep Cherokee XJ was the epitome. Boxy but capable both off road as well as a grocery getter. I miss mine....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rainjer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I have a 03 Liberty. I use a extra long 2"drop with my TD.The ball sits centered under the edge of the spare tire. I just have to make sure I hold the ball lock on the tongue slightly pulled back toward the trailer when I jack it up. I think I found hard to find was a bike rack for it that did not require an extension but cleared the spare. The on I got has 1/4" of clearance.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby GerryS » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:54 pm

That sounds pretty much like what I have now. It works...but just barely.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby M C Toyer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 pm

I have multiple trailers and have gone through several tow vehicles and accumulated a number of different drawbar hitches over the years. Now I just keep the appropriate one with its trailer.

When I'm trailer-less and/or out shopping I have one of these:

There are several different styles available and I've seen one with a screw mechanism that is infinitely adjustable.

As for Jeeps I've owned at least one from every decade beginning with a mil surplus Ford, an Overland, FC 170, Wagonneer, etc.

My favorites were an almost matching pair: 1976 AMC Cherokee Chief and 1977 J-10. Both had identical drivetrains, same color and trim and even the same key fit both. They had the 360 ci V8 that shared a lot of GM (Buick) parts and the GM 400 Turbo transmission. I put over 500K miles on them mostly towing a 5000# work trailer. The Cherokee had higher ground clearance with a lower seat and overall height then the Chevys and Fords. With 10 inch wide Wranglers it was a pleasure to drive with or without a trailer.

The only drawback was a tendency for the CV joint on the front driveshaft to fail.

I moved to an 1985 XJ series which I regretted and bought a F-350 for towing and used the XJ for errands and travel.

I'm now driving the last Liberty - a 2012 that came with the factory tow package. It is comparable in comfort and roominess to the Cherokee but obviously not as solid or well made - of course gas isn't 45 cents a gallon anymore either. The Liberty with the 3.7 liter V-6 has plenty of power for hills and holds its own in a crosswind.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles