I HATE Camping World!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Prem » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:03 pm

RV PARTS

Three things I try to avoid in my RV parts purchasing:

1. Traveling to stores
2. Paying super-RETAIL prices
3. Ever needing "customer service"

Hence, I get most of it on eBay, and a few other sites or I figure out a way to use ACE Hardware stuff instead of RV specialty stuff. And sometimes RESTORE (Habitat for Humanity) has the ACE Hardware stuff for 5 cents on the dollar.

GENERIC WORK$ very well.

P.S. We have a small RV parts and service in the next town over. The owner hates customers and charges beyond retail for anything he can. For example: A coach door that was damaged and that he got for free on an insurance repair as a take-off he wants $400 for. (New on eBay = $300 + $100 shipping) He had stripped the aluminum off it and said he threw the rest in the dumpster when I went back a week later to see if he'd take a reasonable amount of money for it. Awful human being to deal with.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm

rbeemer wrote:When you are really good does she bring you Lucky Basartd Ale

Naw, that's when I get the Guinness Extra Stout......... :thumbsup:
I'm forever a Lucky Bastard for having the wife and life that I do.......
(that should be good for at least a six pack of Guinni) :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Curtis in Texas » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote: The Manager of Customer Service Care, sent me an email immediately.

Ms. Jean was very upset when she read my post, along with all the others regarding our unpleasant experiences with CW. She stated it was not the way the company ran business and would look deeply into the matter. She stated she would (may have already) get with the district manager of that store and make him aware of this and to get it corrected.

She was very, very apologetic about it all. I didn't take her conversation lightly - I truly felt she meant what she said. Time will tell.

Having been in the Camping and RV World for several Decades, I hate to inform Ms Jean but it IS the way they do business! I have been in Camping World Stores all across the Country and there has only been one store that actually didn't p*ss me off. And that one was in Denton TX. Their Service Dept did suck in that locations every time I dealt with them, but I have been able to get my parts off the shelf and get going again. The counter help was arrogant and talked down to me even though I was right and more knowlegeable than the guy I was talking to.
Camping World is my LAST RESORT Supplier!

I was once locked inside a CW store in Florida when they closed. I had been trying to get someone’s attention for 1/2 hour to help me find my parts before closing time and everyone just walked out and locked the store doors behind them. With me standing at the Parts Counter the entire time. I did manage to bang on the windows before the last guy pulled out of the parking lot to let me out of the store. Of course my Class "A" in the front row of the parking lot with my wife setting in the front seat waiting for me to come out from inside didn't mean a thing to them.
The sad part to the incident, I never did get the part I was looking for. The guy who let me out refused to help me.

I swore I would never give them another dimes worth of business 8 years ago. So far I've kept my promise. I will buy online from someone else if I have the time or find a Mom and Pop Store to pick up my parts from.

As for buying a New Rig from them. HAAaaaaaaaaa Never!

I would advise Ms Jean to update her resume!
She's going to need it.
Last edited by Curtis in Texas on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtis in Texas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Jan, a member here did forward the link to this thread to the Customer Service and in turn they forwarded it to the Manager of Customer Service Care, who in turn sent me an email immediately.

Ms. Jean was very upset when she read my post, along with all the others regarding our unpleasant experiences with CW. She stated it was not the way the company ran business and would look deeply into the matter. She stated she would (may have already) get with the district manager of that store and make him aware of this and to get it corrected.

She was very, very apologetic about it all. I didn't take her conversation lightly - I truly felt she meant what she said. Time will tell.

Hmm, reminds me of the time I fired the satellite TV company because they missed 2 appointments to fix our malfunctioning receiver. I was transferred to a gentleman that was EXTREMELY sympathetic and assured me that it was NOT how they did business. I replied "great, when can you send someone out?" In 2 weeks between the hours of 1 and 5 pm...

I realized I was being "handled" and found out they sure can shut off the service quick when you fire them. I bet Ms. Jean is a "handler".

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 am

I haven't had any luck with Camping World either. Poor service.

Here's my story:
I made an appointment to have a 45 point inspection when I purchased my 86 Serro Scotty. My main reason was that this little camper had lots of goodies but was older. Putting my nieces and nephews in an older trailer with a propane furnace/hot water heater/stove top just made sense to make sure all systems were in working order.

No one told me the techs were taking an hour off for lunch. Then, after 5 hours, you would think the tech would answer a couple of quick questions.............brakes ok, hows the roof? You'd think I was trash. The tech couldn't even tell me what was really up on the roof but he did say they could reseal it with no promises but would be happy to replace it for $2800. The trailer is only a 6x10.

Towed it home and got on Tom Bernot's schedule, suggested through the National Serro Scotty Association. Sent him pictures first and he later replaced my roof for $500. He did lots of other smaller things and couldn't be nicer about sending me progress reports.

Now I drive a few exits more to another rv place that always answered all my questions. The parts dept is very helpful. Bought a lot of stuff from them.

I did complain to Camping World via their website and a month later got a call. They said they were sorry to hear of my experience...........nothing else. Nothing.

One of these days I will buy a new unit after retiring and guess who won't get my $$$$$$$$?

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 pm

dont feel bad I found this on the complaint board.com

Camping World
Posted: 2011-02-10 by RDKC
Beware - Trailer Stolen While Being Serviced
Complaint Rating:
Company information:
Camping World
Vacaville, Nebraska
United States

We took a brand new 2011 Trailer in for warranty service at Camping World in Vacaville, CA. On the first trip to pick up the trailer after we recived the call the work was completed, it was noticed that damage had been done to the cabinet center in an area that service work had been performed. The 5th wheel trailer was left at the service location once again to be repaired. Days later my husband recieved a call asking if we had picked up the trailer, he advised no and the caller stated that's what we thought we still have the keys. He later recieved a called from the Camping World Service Manager stating that they saw the trailer on Monday and went to work on it Thursday and the trailer was gone. And now they are stating they have no responsiblity for our stolen trailer off of their property. If they had done the repair work right the first time, this would not have happened and not to mention the fact that they do nothing to safeguard their customers property. However, for their own property they do.. Think twice before you take your trailer to Camping World and leave it, because anything can happen and Camping world will simply tell you sorry not their problem!
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pottercounty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Having been to our Camping World just once, I wasn't impressed with their service. They actually had a Teardrop on the sales floor made by a local artisan and it was a real piece of crap. the galley hatch didn't close cleanly, the cabinets were just terrible and the fit & finish was so subpar that it was laughable. I asked a salesman a few questions about that TD and he didn't really have any knoweledge of what he was talking about.

The only thing I bought was a nice set of plastic cafeteria type of plates that were on sale. And then I left. I won't go back...
best, Tim

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
Pottercounty
The 300 Club

Just a thought

Postby nrody » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Perhaps someone should forward this info to the higher ups at CW corporate. Just to let them know what the real world thinks. :roll:
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Nrody, it has already been sent by a member here. I received a responce from the Regional Customer Service Manager. She said "Camping World doesn't tolerate this type of service and I will make sure each Manager gets this posting."

Well, I did something I said I wasn't ever going to do and I went back to C.W. just to see how I would be treated...if anything had changed. Well, I can honestly say that NOTHING has changed. Period.

I walked in and there were a couple in the store shopping, two being checked out and sales people walking, cleaning, etc. all around. I smiled at one, walked by two others and smiled and once again, never got a response. I even went down one row where this young girl was dusting all the items and thought she would ask if I needed help or hello - nothing! Un-stinkin'-believable!!

I didn't buy anything. I just finally turned around, gave a big *sigh* amd walked out. I just don't have any use for that store anymore. "Camping World - You're Fired!" :yes:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Becca,

Sorry for your bad experience with Camping World. I have not had a bad experience with the one near where I live. The people have been helpful. The manager of the store and his family are friends of mine. They are good people, so I would hate for all Camping World stores, particularly his to get a bad rap because of one bad apple.

Give CW another chance by trying another one. :D

Blessings,

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Curtis in Texas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Todah Tear wrote:Becca,

Sorry for your bad experience with Camping World. I have not had a bad experience with the one near where I live. The people have been helpful. The manager of the store and his family are friends of mine. They are good people, so I would hate for all Camping World stores, particularly his to get a bad rap because of one bad apple.

Blessings,

Todah

Your friend must Manage the one in Denton as it's the only one I've found that is warth a damn.
My experience has been like everyone else who has posted here on their experience.
It's a last resort stop for me.

Curtis
Curtis in Texas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am

Todah Tear wrote:Becca,

Blessings,

Todah

Todah, I'm glad you have good customer service at your C.W. It sounds like the manager of your CW should give customer service lessons to the one here in Tampa. Unfortunately, the one here has NO customer service. Maybe I'm expecting too much...I don't know. One thing for sure I do know is I won't be spending my money at the Camping World in Tampa, FL.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

I HATE Camping World!

Postby only_the_truth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 pm

THE REALITIES OF BUYING FROM AND WORKING AT CAMPING WORLD.
Sexual Harassment, Assault, Hostility, Wrongful Termination, and Retaliation

*** Disclaimer: I worked at Camping World in Golden, CO for aprox 7months. This is my story and these are my experiences viewed through my eyes working there. These are not allegations, simply my experiences and opinions expressed.
I am also a 2 time RV buyer from Camping World. this is how they treat repeat customers who become employees and want to have a fun job.

My first section is going to be the experiences on the work side of things. I will also write about the products and the store - in my opinion, where to get a better deal with out supporting Camping World…

I moved to Colorado in the summer of 2013 due to my mom being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (like Michael J Fox and body trembling, flopping, etc). Not an easy process to watch - your mom dying.

Location: Camping World, 16000 West Colfax, Golden, Colorado.
I started at the parts counter, all customers do is bitch about the services provided, the bad attitude of service writers and quality of services provided… they are rightfully so. the service department is a mess, this is reflected in Valencia, CA also.
BTW - IF you get stuck in LA, Ventura, or Riverside - you have plenty of options… RV Repair on "the old road" ask for Dave, great guy and he has everything CW does not, and has no attitude, unlike Peter, in CW Valencia who has a "can't do" attitude. I rolled in there for minor warranty work and he says "Oh, we don't have time for petty warranty work".. petty? my hot water heater didn't work correctly and plumbing was leaking in 2 places. I was 2 months into my 12 month warranty and he says that.

back to Golden… Ordering Parts (non OEM parts) - customers are gauged for shipping and they come from a warehouse about 20minutes across Denver. Stag Parkway is who they use. Also, COAST Distribution. both are located in Commerce City just minutes from i-70 - (Aspen Distribution buildings.) Dometic is also in the same facility… although they are dealer only, so, internet - don't be afraid to order from Tweetys.com, I do.

the best way to get a part is do this…. go to camping world with a make and model of your rv appliance that needs fixing, go over the symptoms of the issue with parts department. they will tell you what they think it is. next, request a printout of RV Repair Finder exploded view, it has of all the parts for that appliance (schematic). on that list will be manufacturer part numbers and description. take that Part number and google it, you will find your part for a fraction of the cost, with out the that bitch Sam in your pocket… your welcome!

OEM parts - if you need Original Manufacturing Equipment parts, this is a crotched process in CW, go elsewhere, please. the software they use to order parts has flaws, you request 7 parts and only 5 show up on the PO screen.. Its a software flaw I pointed out and they thought I was crazy. so if any of you ordered parts for your rig and only half showed up, this is probably why. the software was written aprox 18 years ago. It has a blue screen and yellow numbers, older than dirt!! its called IDS and modeled after a brand that works correctly. the IT guys wasn't aware of the problem either. did they fix it? heck no, and have no plans for upgrades in this century.

OEM Parts, this is by far the worst area of CW Golden, by far. they lose parts, can't order the right part numerous times, and simply are a pair of unqualified individuals for this position..

Hostility in the work place never stops in Camping World, Golden. In a weeks span, I was grabbed inappropriately in the breast by a parts counter person named Zane. 2 days later, Lance, one of their techs slapped me in the face for no reason… and then the following week, another tech named Guy, poked me in the face with a copper metal rod.

I went to management and I said this is enough, three people in a week have violated me. a few minutes later I was presented two pieces of paper, I could chose one.. they said point blank "you can quit or we can fire you…" take your pick.

I refused to sign anything, told them were out of line, and I reached out to Marcus. at this point I thought it was handled… as time goes on, it doesn't get better. Donnie Wagner, The GM in Golden never handled it at all. no reports were made to HR, HR never called me for my side. I requested several times to speak to HR and it was simply refused by 2 different managers (Brian Roberts of the store and Donnie himself.) At one point Donnie very loudly says to me "TECHS DONT HAVE TO BE NICE TO YOU!!!".

I am doing a walk through with a customer and they are nervous about driving it. they have requested one more test drive before they leave the state. we find Daryl, the sales guy, we ask him to take them on another drive. Daryl says a smartass comment about 'its theirs, they can do whatever they want", and walks away. wow, customer was furious and that left me in a weird situation. Unprofessional in every department of the building.

I have seen and heard all kinds of level of hostility in this building, its been directed towards me, other employees, and even customers. I have witnessed the GM himself 'setting a customer straight'... down the road to another dealer, I'm sure. A customer bought himself a pop up Baja that he was not happy with. It didn't work correctly and customer was trying to go over the vehicle and its problems with Donnie. During this walk around with customer, Donnie proceeds to yell at the customer right in front of his 2 kids.

I'll get to the bottom of it. Behavior like that is not tolerated. 

Marcus A. Lemonis
CNBC's "The Profit"

Chairman and CEO
Camping World and Good Sam

I believe this email from Marcus to Donnie telling him to handle it, set the stage for retaliation... and that's exactly what happened. Donnie retaliated against me for asking him to please speak to Lance and to ask him to grow up. Lance is 40 something and he acts like an immature 13 year old. The situation continued and actually got worse. My Boy Lance tried to hit with me a customers truck while backing out of the bay and I was on a golf cart. Management did nothing. this scenario of childish behavior continued and Donnie didn't take action to stop. What Donnie doesn't realize is that eventually when a person like Lance gets a free pass, he will end up hurting someone. which was the warning I got from 2 employees, "Dont let Lance push you around, it wont stop", so that's the advice I was yielding.

A Professional RV Tech Service Shop is not the place for playground behavior, you don't pull pranks on people in an environment where someone can easily get hurt. I guess that does take a college degree to realize... Along the way I went to se7en different people in upper level management, not one of them reported this to HR… Donnie, Donnie's Mom, Danny, Brian, Brenda, Sherry, and Carri. 4 of them are mothers.

After reaching out to Marcus, needless to say, nothing was done and behavior like that is tolerated in Camping World. IF it was handled and not tolerated, I'd still be working there and you wouldn't be reading this.

this bs went on for 2 months and only when I asked Marcus for HR help, it was finally provided to me. First conversation went great, 2 days later, the second chat was obviously dictated from above, she eventually hung up on me during discussion. they don't want to believe they have a problem, sweep it under the door mat and look east for the new day to rise.

please read company/employee reviews on Camping World, written by current and former employees.
basically they have a failing grade of 38% approval rating. with bs situations like this, its easy to see how this grade was formulated. CW is a failing company and Marcus Lemonis is too busy with Nascar to make it work. If you are showing a profit, I honestly don't know how with all the negativity circulating on this brand… A-HA, its the shipping charges that keep you a float, huh?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Campin ... E19691.htm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
these people in upper level are well aware of the situation…. write em, tell em how you feel.

Marcus Lemonis, CEO
[email protected]

Rodney Anderson, HR
[email protected]

Roger Nuttall, HR
[email protected]

Donnie Wagner, GM of Golden Store
[email protected]

Brian Roberts, Store Manager
[email protected]

:o
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As a customer…
first purchase was in Valencia, CA near magic mountain. I bought a used Montana, was told it went through service before we picked it up. laundry list: cold shower knob explodes upon setting it up, the kitchen sink shot water everywhere, they put a pencil in the breakaway switch - its the safety brake that activates upon truck and trailer separation - required by laws in every state… this unit never went through a lot prep or pdi which is required for resale of new and used rv vehicles.. you cant say its fine and its a surprise party. needless to say nothing but a grip of attitude to get a resolution. Marcus finally stepped in and resolved it.

Bought a 2nd rv from Golden. I went straight to LA for a job, I needed a few smaller warranty things done.. Peter in Service, round 2. Not knowing its the same customer a year later, he says "I don't have time for petty warranty things"… my hot water heater didn't work correctly and 2 pex fittings needed replacing. sorry this was too much for you. needless to say nothing but attitude and Marcus had to help, again.

Wait, what? you bought a second rig from the first people who F"d you over. I know it sounds stupid, but I respected the way Marcus handled it and was giving him the respect he gave me in Valencia during this situation.... so when I go to trade in for a toy hauler, I will go to Four Seasons and not Camping World, Anywhere USA.

Where are you now Marcus?

:applause:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update Aug, 1 2014

THE STATE OF COLORADO AND OSHA HAS FOUND CAMPING WORLD IN VIOLATION OF THREE THINGS.... ONE BEING "VIOLENCE IN THE WORKPLACE"

Marcus, your silence is deafening, and that's why the sign campaign at your dealerships. your team in colorado clearly didn't realize the promotional brains they pissed off. and your little commercials with purple wife beaters need to go. you wearing a wife beater, osha finds you guilty of violence in the workplace... you need an image makeover my friend, and I can help. but you fired me because I was wanting a resolution of keeping the bullies away.... forty something year olds hitting each other. management looking the other way. my only guess is Donnie is hiding the salami with Lance, otherwise why would you risk your dealership for protecting a tech? a bromance.

enjoy the art story.

http://www.pinterest.com/spencereditor/ ... ing-world/
Last edited by only_the_truth on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
only_the_truth
Teardrop Inspector

Re: I HATE Camping World!

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I am well known for going up the corporate food chain. I don't always win but they will know I have been there and what it will take to make me happy.
One how to http://www.businessballs.com/complaintsletters.htm
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: I HATE Camping World!

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: Well said!! I was really amazed at the responses received regarding the lack of customer service at CW. I really don't like putting down a company - I try to give them the benefit of the doubt feeling it could have been a bad day or whatever but after getting the same horrible treatment EVERY SINGLE TIME, I knew I was my own fool. I haven't been back since the very last time and I don't miss it. If I need something special (which, believe me, I don't! ) I would order it from Cabelas or go to Bass Pro. Never had a bad experience in those stores, ever! I have no use for CW and will never drop one penny of my hard earned dimes in their ungrateful hands again. Thank you for being so open about your up close experience with them. It doesn't take much to make me keep coming back to your store but it takes a lot to make me never step foot in it again. Good riddance!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic