"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:13 am

Tommy2tone_1999 wrote:Let me know if you figure out what the 2 wedge shaped pieces are for with that Ironton Trailer

Hmmm... Im at work right now, so I'm not sure what wedge pieces you mean. And the Northern Tool site is flubbed up at the moment so I can't view the manual online. Would they be fender brackets? If I remember tonight, I'll look. I'm leaving for a snowboarding trip tomorrow morning, so I'm going to be rushing around getting ready for that, so my apologies if i forget.

I unpacked the trailer last night and was going to put a couple bolts in so I could measure the actual width of the frame. Needed that measurement to order the axle assembly. Well, two bolts turned into 6 bolts, and the next thing I know I had assembled the whole frame. And for the record, this trailer kit measured about 60-1/16" wide, give or take a hair or two.

This morning I called Redneck Trailer Supply and ordered:
- Dexter Torflex #9 - de-rated for 1800lbs
- 22.5 degree down start angle
- for 60" outside bracket-to-bracket, 73" hub face-to-face
- w/ top-mount 1" high-profile brackets
- 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, on 6.5" idler hubs (for 12-15" wheels)

Total axle cost: $232.94 (doesn't include shipping - I'm picking it up locally)

For anyone considering a bolt-together trailer kit:

If you're planning on getting the Harbor Freight 4x8 Heavy Duty kit, spend the extra $150 and get the Northern Tool 5x8 Heavy Duty kit. It is made by the same company that makes the Harbor Freight kits (Changzhou Nanxiashu) but I the steel is heavier gauge, and the side rails are single pieces which makes assembly and squaring it up a breeze. This will also allow you to move the axle to virtually any position your build requires. And its not RED (which eventually turns pink).

The Ironton (Northern Tool) 5x8 Kit is only available in stores, or by freight truck delivery. I opted for the FREE delivery because the closest store to me is 5 hours away. It took less than a week for delivery, and the freight company calls to arrange a date and time . We agreed on 10am-2pm yesterday, and the guy was here at 9:55am. The shipping company offers "lift gate service" for $157 - DON'T BOTHER WITH IT. The kit comes in 3 boxes, which are easily manageable with a hand cart. The driver even had one in his truck, and although he didn't have to help unload, he did. The Certificate of Origin does not come WITH the trailer kit. It gets mailed separately. I'm definitely happy with this kit!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T. - Tongue Extension

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:26 pm

I've been on vacation for the past week so no build progress has been made. However, before I left I gave the drawing for the tongue extension to a local fabrication shop. They called while I was gone and said that it was ready so I stopped over on my lunch break today and picked it up.

Why a tongue extension?
Extending the tongue creates a larger distance between the rear bumper of your tow vehicle and the front of you trailer. This means you can maneuver into a tight camping site easier because you can turn a much tighter radius without worrying about your trailer hitting your bumper. With my last build, I could get my car and teardrop 90 degrees to each other and still have wiggle room. Backing the trailer is also MUCH easier with a longer longer distance between your tow vehicle hitch and the trailer wheels. And finally, it drastically reinforces the tongue and gives you a much better place to mount a wheeled tongue jack. Mounting a tongue jack on one half of the a-frame tongue works, but it puts a lot of torque on the one side of your frame. Is extending/reinforcing the tongue necessary? Nope. But it makes a huge difference!

Cost for steel, including drilling the seven 1/2" holes was $67.58. I don't have a drill press, so this saved me at least an hour worth of work and a $20 drill bit. Totally worth it.

The grouping of 4 holes at the right end is for the coupler. The coupler that came with the NT trailer kit (made for 2-1/2" tongue) gets replaced by a coupler for a 2" tongue. New coupler was $24.99.

The two vertical holes towards the left end are for bolting the extension to the first two frame rails. The hole that is 56-13/16" from the left end is for a bolt to go through the flipped coupler mounting plate (which already has holes through it).

Total cost for tongue extension (including taxes) was $94.33. (This does not include paint or nuts/bolts)

I'll take a couple pictures once I get it painted and installed.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Zach,
You're certainly lucky with your machinist, the one shop that got back to me wants $135 for the tube with four coupler holes and one for the second cross-member. :? I'm not 100% sure on the first cross-member and the flipped coupler's locations, so I'll drill them myself.

Why did you step up to 1/4" tube vs 3/16" for the X2?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh damn! Definitely call around and get some other prices. The welding shop that I got the piece from was by far the highest estimate (by more than $1000) when I was pricing a full custom frame. But for a simple job like this they were very reasonable. And accurate.

The steel itself should only be around $30. Then the rest is labor, which shouldn't take a professional with the right tools very long at all.

I went with 1/4" this time because they would have had to order 3/16" and it would have only been a couple dollars cheaper. Strength-wise, the 3/16" was more than adequate.

Just went and measured the tongue extension on the X-II (1720lb Harbor Freight frame)... two holes on the left end are identical to whats shown above (23-3/16 apart), but the hole for the flipped coupler plate is about an 1" different.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Installed the tongue extension last night. All the bolt holes aligned perfectly! :twisted:

View of the top side of the trailer. Note the location of the short piece of steel that ties the two rails of the a-frame tongue together. I had to move it from the top of the tongue to the bottom of the tongue, or otherwise it would have interfered with the extension. No drilling required.

Bottom view showing where the tongue extension bolts to the first two cross members of the trailer frame.

Torflex axle should be here tomorrow, but I'm going away for the weekend so that will have to wait until next week.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks, Zack, for documenting this process of substituting a Dexter axle to a Northern Tool trailer. :thumbsup: It seems a sensible way to go for those builders that, for what ever reason, can't buy or build a welded chassis. IMO, it resolves a whole list of issues conserning using a store bought bolt together OR welded utility trailer to build on that have been discussed over & over the this forum.
    Please don't forget to weigh the frame before & after installing the axle.
    I noted that you'll be using an 1800# rated axle. Which leads me to ask what the estimated dry & loaded weights are for your design?
    Thanks, Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:48 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:
    Thanks, Zack, for documenting this process of substituting a Dexter axle to a Northern Tool trailer. :thumbsup: It seems a sensible way to go for those builders that, for what ever reason, can't buy or build a welded chassis. IMO, it resolves a whole list of issues conserning using a store bought bolt together OR welded utility trailer to build on that have been discussed over & over the this forum.
    Please don't forget to weigh the frame before & after installing the axle.
    I noted that you'll be using an 1800# rated axle. Which leads me to ask what the estimated dry & loaded weights are for your design?
    Thanks, Fred

I'm not going to be able to get a weight before modifying since the tongue extension is installed, and the Torflex will be installed before it leaves to get inspected for titling. But I do know the shipping weight of the Northern Tool is 273lbs, so I suppose that will be my benchmark.

I did decide to de-rate the axle, but just a little bit. My last build came out to 1100lbs dry, and it handled well on a 2000lb rated leaf spring axle setup. I estimate this one will be about 100lbs lighter based on wall construction method (sandwich walls vs solid 3/4"), and the fact that I won't need to build the deck up over the wheels using 2x4's. Although this one will have the added weight of a full roof (which the X-II did not) and will have a few more bells & whistles (yes, its possible HAHA). On boondocking trips, I probably travel with around 400-500lbs of gear - 4 coolers, heavy duty steel 10x10 canopy, heavy duty cornhole game set, etc.

If I come out a little lighter than expected (or even weight with the X-II), then thats ok. 1800lbs seemed to be a good compromise without going too low and risking exceeding the capacity of the axle. If I come out way to low (which I don't expect) then I'll just add more beer for ballast.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:58 pm

You forgot the heavy duty adult beverages and heavy duty cooking mitts. :R
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Kharn wrote:You forgot the heavy duty adult beverages and heavy duty cooking mitts. :R

HAHAHAH mmmm JagerMitts :lol: :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Hey, Zack. Your out of the cliche' thinking produces another great design. I enjoyed reading your X2 build and look forward to this one. :thumbsup:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm

I think I have been guilty of this in the past, too, but I have noticed a bunch of yoose guys mis-spelling Zach's name. He may not be bothered too much by this, or maybe he is just used to it and has given up trying to correct yoose.

However, as you may know I tend to hone in on the details and it is driving me crazy!!! :? :shock: :lol: :R!!! (Right there with you, capnTelescope!) So if not for him, please get it right for me :worship: (mock sarcastic selfishness) .

It is Zach with an 'h' not Zack with a 'k'. Least that's how he signs his posts.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 am

KCStudly wrote:It is Zach with an 'h' not Zack with a 'k'.

I am chagrined beyond words. :oops:

Sorry, Zach.

OTOH,
KCStudly wrote:yoose

Twice. I find the use of "yoose" in place of "y'all" or even "you-uns" to be like fingernails on the chalkboard to my delicate ears. :frightened: Probably has to do with this boss I had once who used "yoose". In SoCal, for Pete's sake. Speaking of bosses, did y'all realize that "boss" spelled backwards is "double s. o. b.?
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHA Thanks KC! I'm used to it.... Actually when I was younger (up through high school), I got tired of people misspelling it and dropped the H and just signed Zac. Kept confusion down. But now it doesnt bother me. I've given up! Y'ins are alright, though! No worries! :? :lol:

capnTelescope wrote:Hey, Zack. Your out of the cliche' thinking produces another great design. I enjoyed reading your X2 build and look forward to this one. :thumbsup:

Thanks Brad! If we don't progress, then we're doomed. When I look back on my first build in 2010 its amazing the amount of information that I've absorbed since then, all thanks to this forum and the Tearjerkers!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Got a call from Redneck Trailer Supplies this morning letting me know that my axle was in. Decided my retired father would be down for an adventure, so I asked him to go pick it up for me (about 45min away) since I have to work until 5. He got back to town a little bit ago and I went to meet him at my house quick to help unload it into my garage. The grease caps were dented, so Redneck Trailer through in a couple replacements for me to put on.

I'm gone again this weekend, for bachelor party this time, so I won't get to bolt the axle to the frame until at least Sunday afternoon. The sooner I get it bolted up, the sooner I can take it for inspection. Wiring and fenders will have to be rigged on first though.

Oh, and theres that pesky issue of already having one teardrop taking up space in my garage.

So yeah, I gotta figure out something to do with it. Like sell it. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57219
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Got a little done on the trailer this afternoon. After wrestling the frame around, I got it positioned upside down so that I could measure out the position for the torsion axle. The center of the hubs is 6" further back than where the stock axle would go. I didn't want to move it too far back because of the added weight of the tongue extension.

After the holes were drilled I flipped the frame and put it up on jack stands so I could slide the torsion axle underneath and into place. I could have bolted the torsion axle into place with the trailer upside down, but then flipping it by myself would have been difficult and I probably would have destroyed the grease caps on the hubs.

Finally I bolted up the 12" wheels which will get replaced with 15" alloys. You'll notice that I'm missing one of the crossmembers towards the rear of the trailer. I'm planning on mounting the spare tire under the galley floor at the back of the trailer, so that one rail needed to be moved forward. The battery for my drill died, so that will get relocated another day. I've marked the new location with blue painters tape.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals