Trouble brewing... Prime rib

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Trouble brewing... Prime rib

Postby citylights » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 pm

So here is the ultimate pressure situation / disaster in the making!

I do all the cooking in my family, and I have always done about 90% of it in the BBQ or flat iron grill that I have outside. I think I am a good BBQ chef, but I got into DO cooking about 2 months ago. I have had great success and fun cooking in them for my family. Well everything except the cast iron skillet seasoning, but that is another thread...

So for tomorrow, we invited 6 friends over for dinner and I am cooking in the Dutch ovens for friends the first time AND I am cooking something I have never done before!

Cooking rice stuffed bell peppers. That's a snap, did it great just last weekend. :thumbsup:
Cooking chilli beans. Another slam dunk, it's already made and they turned out awesome, if I do say so myself. I just need to heat it up in the DO. :twisted:
Of course we will have a green salad.

And... I am cooking a prime rib. I have done those great in the oven, but never in a DO. I am thinking just a simple salt and pepper rub, preheated deep 12-inch DO blazing hot to start, toss the prime rib in, then reduce coals to get about 325 at 15 min per pound. 6 pounds, that's 90 minutes, I realize I am going to have to refresh the coals at about 45 minutes. When done, remove meat and prepare AuJu with the drippings in the DO. :thinking:

Will that work?

Any hints, secrets, or prime rib recipes you can share with me?
citylights
500 Club

Re: Trouble brewing... Prime rib

Postby MtnDon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:12 pm

we invited 6 friends over for dinner and I am cooking in the Dutch ovens for friends the first time AND I am cooking something I have never done before!

Brave man... I experiment on the immediate family and only serve company what's been tried and true. Sorry, no suggestions though as I've neber done one of those. Best o' luck.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:27 pm

This is the way I do Prime Rib... http://chefbolek.blogspot.com/2010/12/b ... roast.html

I would experiment with the DO's to get the temps right... Too bad you don't have time to practice. :(

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby citylights » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:56 pm

MtnDon wrote:
we invited 6 friends over for dinner and I am cooking in the Dutch ovens for friends the first time AND I am cooking something I have never done before!

Brave man... I experiment on the immediate family and only serve company what's been tried and true. Sorry, no suggestions though as I've neber done one of those. Best o' luck.

Oh, come on where is your sense of adventure? I have never met a prime rib that wasn't delicious!

The only thing I am worried about is it not being done at the right time because of bad temperature control. I have a solution for that too.... Slice and sear on the flat iron grill!
citylights
500 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 am

I just want to know what time do I need to be there, :Flippin Burger:
I make a goooodd guinea pig when it comes to prime rib
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:15 am

You might consider using a meat thermometer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby citylights » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 pm

eamarquardt wrote:You might consider using a meat thermometer. Gus

Yes! I wouldn't consider cooking a prime rib without one.
citylights
500 Club

Postby citylights » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Tonights, mission impossible!

It actually fits, the picture is deceiving...
citylights
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:27 pm

John, We need a side view of those ribs... ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby citylights » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:30 pm

The prime rib turned out good, but I blew it. We got talking and it cooked 20 minutes too long. That turned the prime rib into a really nice roast beef.

Next time, set the timer!

Also, I used a small meat rack / trivet, but it is really to shallow. Next time I need to drain off some of the juice half way through.
citylights
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Cloud Maker Ranch Prime Rib: http://youtu.be/DmW0CAsnXaoh

From Dean and Joanie

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 pm

bdosborn wrote:Cloud Maker Ranch Prime Rib: http://youtu.be/DmW0CAsnXaoh

From Dean and Joanie

Bruce
An old family favorite around here.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 am

I have found several sizes of these little collanders at Goodwill for a buck or two.

Some have feet, some just have dimples, and some are flat on the bottom. If I want my meat to drain well I simply chuck 3 balls of aluminum foil under this make shift trivet and it drains away with no possibility of burning on the bottom.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron