Firewood? Charcoal?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Firewood? Charcoal?

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:32 pm

I took that to mean these: http://www.duraflame.com/
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Here in Minnesota state parks sell firewood and as mentioned earlier anyone with a chainsaw seems to as well. There is a limit on how far you can transport firewood. If I decide to have a fire I just buy it at the park, to support the park and I don't want to figure out how to carry it. Easier to just buy it there.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dave Nathanson » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:24 am

We usually bring cut logs (From a tree that fell down in our yard), but logs don't pack well. Some of the big lumberyards around here will let you have their cutting scraps for free. Those scraps can be huge wood, really excellent firewood. Definitely check in with a couple lumberyards around, especially if they deal direct to the building trade. Ask them if you can come and get some scrap for firewood. Then be prepared to haul away as much as you can with a smile on your face.
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Dave Nathanson wrote:We usually bring cut logs (From a tree that fell down in our yard), but logs don't pack well. Some of the big lumberyards around here will let you have their cutting scraps for free. Those scraps can be huge wood, really excellent firewood. Definitely check in with a couple lumberyards around, especially if they deal direct to the building trade. Ask them if you can come and get some scrap for firewood. Then be prepared to haul away as much as you can with a smile on your face.

Remember that transporting firewood from downed trees can transport deadly pests. California State Parks are trying to implement a total ban on "bring your own" firewood with their "Buy it where you burn it" policy, but are making little headway.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby the other side » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 pm

See the picture of what happened the last time Catherine carried logs in her teardrop? ;) Just KIDDING!!! :lol:
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:12 pm

:whistle:
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby the other side » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 pm

:? :lol: BALANCE your LOAD!!! (or don't take a turn to fast or too hard...30 mph max. speed)
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Here in Ga most of the state parks sale wood though it usually $6 a bundle it goes to help the running of the parks. Out side of the parks their are usually people with trailers of wood and its usually on an honor system. SC the parks do not but you can usually find the places on the way and a lot of stores sale the firewood bundles also. I usually take my own in GA and I know a gentleman that sales in SC that I buy from for camping there. Most states we have camped in have laws about bring wood from other states in to theirs to burn due to the chance of the beetles coming into their state.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Dave Nathanson wrote:......... Some of the big lumberyards around here will let you have their cutting scraps for free. Those scraps can be huge wood, really excellent firewood. Definitely check in with a couple lumberyards around, especially if they deal direct to the building trade. Ask them if you can come and get some scrap for firewood. .........

That is actually a very good idea. You can cut them to handy lengths, they stack nicely with no wasted space from curved surfaces, no messy bark and therefore no insects issues, (most lumber is heat treated to eliminate insects... look for the HT stamp if dealing with long graded pieces.... lots of advantages...

Most any wood will pass if debarked and dry.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets