UV Protection

Finishes, paints and coatings

UV Protection

Postby Jim T » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Hello all,
Does anyone know of a clear finish for a woody that has better UV protection than Spar Urethane and is still affordable? It is time to refinish my trailer and I am looking for the best protection I can get. Our Texas sun is murder on my sides. :frightened:
Thanks, Jim
Jim T
Teardrop Advisor

Re: UV Protection

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 pm

I recall reading on a woodworking forum where somebody played around with using oil based semi-clear exterior house paint base. The stuff they add pigment to at the paint shop. They found it held up better than spar varnish and I think, automotive clear coat. But of course I can't find the article.

Apparently the UV protection is in the base, not the pigment. Good luck finding the article!

Quick edit. You're in luck: http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/f ... ood-15985/

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:13 pm

The stuff the company I worked for used for this purpose was SP Systems Ultravar 2000. This a is a two-pack polyurethane (ie, base and hardener) so application is a bit more demanding than a one-pack product but the longevity is amazing. Texas sun is a hard challenge but this varnish was used on boat decks in Hong Kong, which has to be at least as demanding. I put it on a boat stored outside in gentle British sun that lasted 10 years in good condition.

It's an expensive product so there is a temptation to not apply the recommended thickness - that must be resisted. Sorry I can't name an equivalent US product but if you search on boat forums you might find something. Anyone know what West Systems recommend?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Jim T » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I definitely am going to check out the unpigmented paint option. Unfortunately, Ultravar is out of my price range. :cry: However, while searching for it I came across a product by Rustoleum that looks pretty good, "Ultimate Spar Varnish". Has anyone heard of it? I could not fine any recent negative reviews.
Thanks, Jim
Jim T
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Watercamper » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw your post. While talking with a guy over in the WoodenBoats forum, he mentioned using General Finishes Exterior 450 for panels in the bottom of his boat. You might want to check it out. It's a w/b product and should be a pleasure to use. I've shot gallons of their interior Enduro-Var and love it.
Ken
Watercamper
Teardrop Builder

Return to Skinning secrets