Trouble with a cast iron skillet

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Trouble with a cast iron skillet

Postby the other side » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:38 am

If my daughter feels better today I am going to get my beeswax!!! Any ideas where I could find it in Wally World?
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby wagondude » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

They have some listed on the web site in crafting supplies (for making candles). They may or may not carry it in the stores depending on your location. Just make sure it is 100% pure bee's wax with no fillers added.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm

I found some at Micheal's, the craft place.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby citylights » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I found mine on amazon.
citylights
500 Club

Postby the other side » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 pm

I ordered it from Joann Fabric and Crafts. 1 pound for $11 some odd and that included shipping. The shipping deal for $1.00 is over tomorrow (a St. Patty's Day deal).
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 am

I found mine at a mom and pop health food store.

and like Jerry' I often use just oil between treatments. I have learned to look at the pan and can kinda tell when it needs just a little more love than the oil alone can give.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby the other side » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:02 am

Good point bobhenry!
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 am

I think I have learned a new way to really screw up well seasoned cast iron.

I came home hungry and found a big chunk of ground beef pattied out into a hamburger steak. Unfortunatly it was frozen like a rock. As I removed it from the freezer I surveyed the fridge side for anything that would go with it. I found 1/2 an onion and an open (and flat) 3/4 can of Coca-cola. Not one to waste anything and knowing I needed to steam the frozen patty to keep from burning it before it thawed I poured the coke over the patty in one of my good skillets. Well apparently between the phosphoric acid and the sugars in the pop it can and did make a mess of a well seasoned skillet. :x

Can you say dumb ass !

I think I'll use water from here on out.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 pm

bobhenry wrote:I think I have learned a new way to really screw up well seasoned cast iron.

I came home hungry and found a big chunk of ground beef pattied out into a hamburger steak. Unfortunatly it was frozen like a rock. As I removed it from the freezer I surveyed the fridge side for anything that would go with it. I found 1/2 an onion and an open (and flat) 3/4 can of Coca-cola. Not one to waste anything and knowing I needed to steam the frozen patty to keep from burning it before it thawed I poured the coke over the patty in one of my good skillets. Well apparently between the phosphoric acid and the sugars in the pop it can and did make a mess of a well seasoned skillet. :x

Can you say dumb ass !

I think I'll use water from here on out.

"and can kinda tell when it needs just a little more love than the oil alone can give."

Are we there yet?

In a side note, I have seasoned and re seasoned my skillet with oil and bees wax. It is now covered in a nice looking black season. But I am still having trouble with eggs sticking. I tried yesterday with a hot pan and cold oil. I got splatters and stuck eggs. I tried today with a cooler pan, cooked bacon slow, then eggs slow, still got stuck eggs. I am running out of options here...
citylights
500 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 am

I found this article that recommends flaxseed oil as the perfect seasoning. The process she outlines is rather lengthy, but she swears your pan will be perfect when done. Haven't tried it myself as I have found coconut oil works great for me, but I might at some point just as an experiment.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 am

citylights wrote:
"and can kinda tell when it needs just a little more love than the oil alone can give."

Are we there yet?

In a side note, I have seasoned and re seasoned my skillet with oil and bees wax. It is now covered in a nice looking black season. But I am still having trouble with eggs sticking. I tried yesterday with a hot pan and cold oil. I got splatters and stuck eggs. I tried today with a cooler pan, cooked bacon slow, then eggs slow, still got stuck eggs. I am running out of options here...

You might try this and report back..........

Place the well seasoned pan on the burner on a flame or temp just above simmer. Put in a blop of butter and as soon as it melts place the eggs in the melted butter in the skillet. Give them a few seconds to firm up and give the pan a little swirl to be assured your eggs are skating around. It took me a long time to understand eggs in cast iron. I kept one little teflon :shock: pan just for fried eggs for a long time.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jonw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:40 am

I cooked scrambled eggs in my cast iron griddle the other morning. Heated up the griddle then sprayed with cooking oil, and in a short bit poured scrambled egg mix (eggs+milk) on the griddle.

When I tried to scramble/move them around they stuck to the griddle unless I let the eggs cook and firm up a little before scrambling them on the hot surface. Although not as slippery as teflon it worked well and cleaned up as easily. Give it a try...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby citylights » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 am

bobhenry wrote:
citylights wrote:Place the well seasoned pan on the burner on a flame or temp just above simmer. Put in a blop of butter and as soon as it melts place the eggs in the melted butter in the skillet. Give them a few seconds to firm up and give the pan a little swirl to be assured your eggs are skating around. It took me a long time to understand eggs in cast iron. I kept one little teflon :shock: pan just for fried eggs for a long time.

That worked the best yet! I was able to cook three sets of over easy eggs without breaking the yolks. Still not stick free, but dang close. Thank you.
citylights
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cast Iron