FRP smooth or bumpy

Finishes, paints and coatings

FRP smooth or bumpy

Postby mikefree » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi. I have been lurking here for while and have finally bought an old clunker of a 4 x 8 trailer so the fun begins. On the subject of frp, has anyone installed it smooth side out? I am in the supplies gathering stage and I have settled on frp for skin but I would like to put some decals on the outside. As well has anyone put decals on the bumpy side with perhaps a heat gun? that sounds sketchy to me but im all for options...
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Re: FRP smooth or bumpy

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Ours is Filon which is smooth, just looks cleaner.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikefree » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:50 am

I like the look of filon but its not available anywhere near me and shipping is out of my budget.
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:44 pm

decals will stick to the bumpy side, however you will have some serious challenges to get it to go on without wrinkles and bubbles as each lump will pull the decal. I "float" vinyl adhesive numbers and logos on airplanes at work, the rivets and panel edges make the job... interesting...., but at least the rest of the skin is smooth.
You could float it on (soapy water) let it dry stuck to the high points then use the heat gun and a damp rag to stretch it into all the valleys.
the smooth side of FRP isn't coated the same way as the bumpy side, that may cause issues of it's own.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:29 pm

It's been so long since I had a sheet of FRP I forget what the back side looks like. Is it finished nice enough to be used as the "show" face? I have vague recollection that the reverse side was not glossy and had some scuffing or something. I'd have to go look at some sheets to know for sure. Maybe you've done that already.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:15 am

checked it out in the hardware store last night, smooth, but not as glossy as the bumpy side. they make it so the backside has a surface that adhesive can get "tooth" in for mounting.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikefree » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. I found an article online about putting vinyl in coarse surfaces (rough surface ready vinyl) like concrete. Now I just have to find a supplier. One of the drawbacks of living in a small town is finding supplies that arent on the shelf at home depot or canadian tire.
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 05liberty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Laird plastic in Moncton has filon by the roll
FRP is available from home depot . I had it on my benroy and it out lasted the wood
I built my teardrop when I lived in Moncton and was able to source 99% of the materials locally

Dave
Dave

05liberty
Teardrop Master

Postby mikefree » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for the tips. Did you find any trim in or around moncton?
mikefree
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 05liberty » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 pm

I picked up angle aluminum from princess auto annelid and bent it
Dave

05liberty
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Dave,

Did you paint the FRP or anything, since it's not UV rated?

Mike...

05liberty wrote:Laird plastic in Moncton has filon by the roll
FRP is available from home depot . I had it on my benroy and it out lasted the wood
I built my teardrop when I lived in Moncton and was able to source 99% of the materials locally

Dave
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MtnDon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Bought a couple sheets of FRP yesterday and as I thought I remembered, the backside is kind of grungy looking. Be alright if it was painted though I guess. Mine is going in a shower though, bumpy side visible.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets