Dexter Axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

attaching axel to frame

Postby tenfingers » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:48 am

What I planned on doing was to weld a 4" wide flatbar to the bottom of the 2"wide frame with the extra 2" to the inside of the frame. Then weld 4" flatstock to the bracket. That way the bracket would sit under the frame and be clamped or bolted during build. After built and loaded (for balance) I could be easily bolted later without the access problem of using "C" channel.
tenfingers
Teardrop Inspector

Re: attaching axel to frame

Postby angib » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:14 pm

tenfingers wrote:What I planned on doing was....

Like this (viewed from above and below)? Stationary (green) flat welded to the frame and moving (red) flat welded to the axle bracket.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Esteban » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Andrew's design looks good, especially if you want the ability to move the axle forward or rearward to fine tune the balance your trailer. If you don't need the ability to move the axle forward or rearward then Dexter's axle hanger bracket would do fine. It would be welded to your frame. The axle is bolted to the Dexter hanger bracket. This gives you the ability to remove the axle should you ever need to change, or repair, it - without having to cut or grind off a welded on axle.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby brian_bp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:10 pm

I realize that it has been months since Andrew's post, but since Esteban has revived the thread...

The Dexter side mount hanger is attached to... the side of the axle bracket. Following that example, why not use an angle (instead of plate) to build a longer side mount hanger with multiple mounting holes, which would not need to be any wider than the stock Dexter parts?

It would take less steel, as the fixed-to-frame (green) part would be something like a 2"x2" angle instead of a 4" wide flat plate, and there would be no fixed-to-axle (red) part required.

There would be a couple less holes to drill per side, and welding to the axle bracket would be eliminated.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby G-force » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Because the stock side mount stradles the axle tube. You could not just replace it with an angle, unless the entire hanger was above the tube. I know Dexter has a "tall" hanger, but I dont believe it is that tall.

brian_bp wrote:I realize that it has been months since Andrew's post, but since Esteban has revived the thread...

The Dexter side mount hanger is attached to... the side of the axle bracket. Following that example, why not use an angle (instead of plate) to build a longer side mount hanger with multiple mounting holes, which would not need to be any wider than the stock Dexter parts?

It would take less steel, as the fixed-to-frame (green) part would be something like a 2"x2" angle instead of a 4" wide flat plate, and there would be no fixed-to-axle (red) part required.

There would be a couple less holes to drill per side, and welding to the axle bracket would be eliminated.

Mike
G-force
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:59 pm

So I was lying in bed last night, and as I fell asleep I was thinking about this bracket, and realized...
:duh:
The vertical face of the sidemount bracket is interrupted for the end of the axle tube, so an extended version could not be used to adjust the axle position except in big steps, moving the axle from notch to notch in the bracket. That was a useless suggestion!

G-force is correct: even the tall mounting brackets are not tall enough for this approach, if reasonably fine adjustment is desired.

Here's a compromise option: use the flat plate on the frame (the green part), but instead of welding the other part (the red part) to the axle brackets, bolt it on like the side mount hanger. This means making a bent plate piece which is just like a side-mount hanger, but extends that coupler of inches further inboard. The only advantage would be to avoid welding to the axle bracket.

G-force wrote:Because the stock side mount stradles the axle tube. You could not just replace it with an angle, unless the entire hanger was above the tube. I know Dexter has a "tall" hanger, but I dont believe it is that tall.

brian_bp wrote:I realize that it has been months since Andrew's post, but since Esteban has revived the thread...

brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: dexter axle

Postby Esteban » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Vintage Technologies teardroptrailerparts.com by Frank Bear sells custom torsion axles.
We offer a complete line of Custom Manufactured Torsion Axles (built) to your specifications, Call us for a quote today (269-665-9060)

I talked to Frank on the phone today. He sells torsion axles made by Axis which he said is owned by Dexter. Frank said Axis ships axles in about 2 weeks while Dexter is currently taking 5 weeks.

Axis has a well illustrated three page brochure (printable pdf.) 500—2,200 lb. Torsion Axles showing the standard features and available options that can be included with a 500-2200 lb. torsion axle and a one page Torsion axle order form Torsion Order Form. You can print copies of them both to highlight or write notes about the options you want or questions you may need/want answers to before ordering an axle.

Side hanger kits are a good option to utilize. After the side hangers are welded to your trailer frame you can bolt the axle securely to the hangers. Hangers strengthen trailer frames and eliminate the need to drill bolt holes through the trailer frame to attach an axle where the trailers load is concentrated. Hangers are available in Low-Profile (Standard) and High-Profile (1” higher than Standard) and Inboard Mount or Outboard Mount.

Axis
Mounting and Dimensions: In order to minimize tire wear and axle performance issues Axis recommends that the following guidelines be followed when specifying axles within the 500 to 2,200 lb. The difference between hub face and outside of bracket dimensions...
The Axis brochures chart shows a minimum 13" difference between the hub face and outside of bracket dimensions and a maximum difference of 21.75".
(This is a total difference - half of it will be on each side). The measurement you choose takes careful thought to best fit the design of your teardrop camper. If your cabin side walls overhang (cover up) the trailer frame you need to allow enough clearance so the swing arms movement does not hit the overhanging side wall. You also need to plan for the wheel/tire combination and the fenders you plan to use.

You will need to choose the outside of bracket distance that fits (usually equals) the width of your trailer frame, the hub to hub distance, the axles start angle and the load capacity of the axle (rubber). There are different sized hubs and bolt patterns to choose from to fit your intended wheels and tires.

You may optionally choose to add brakes, or just to add brake flanges...which Frank said many people do to save most of the initial expense for electric brakes.

Finish options:
Available Finishes include: Powder Coating • Galvanized • Wet Paint

Frank said he prefers to take phone orders so he can help you with important details. Frank was very nice to talk to. He's a busy man. Each week they make one new teardrop trailer! :)

The following Axis (pdf) links seem useful too:
Torsion Order Form Torsion axle order form...very useful to print a copy for note taking
idler hubs and brake drums available from Axis may be useful to print a copy
500—2,200 lb. Torsion Axles very useful to print a copy for note taking
2,700—3,700 lb. Torsion Axles
700—2,200 lb. Spring Axles
2,500—3,700 lb. Spring Axles
trailer parts
Fenders good choice of fender styles and sizes
Springs

Dexter Torflex information Dexter Torflex information(pdf)
Several informative Dexter YouTubes:
Dexter Torflex® Suspension Axles
Dexter Bearing Maintenance
Last edited by Esteban on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am

Do you (ever) want electric brakes?

When you order a new axle you (may) have three choices:
An axle with no brakes.
An axle with optional brake flanges installed, so brakes can easily be added in the future.
An axle with factory installed brakes on the new axle.

If you choose to defer the expense to add electric brakes when you buy a new Dexter #9 Torflex axle or an Axis 500-2200 lb. torsion axle that you order with an optional brake flanges installed it will cost nearly $250.00 (Sept.2013 prices) to buy the parts later that are needed to add brakes. The cost would be similar for a Flexiride axle with brake flanges. Prices for the estimate are from etrailer.com etrailer.com.

1. 2 brake hubs Trailer Hub and Drum Assembly for Electric Brakes - 2,000-lb Axles - 5 on 4-1/2 - E-Z Lube
2. 1 RH brake 7" Electric Brake Assembly for 2K Axles - RH
3. 1 LH brake 7" Electric Brake Assembly for 2K Axles - LH
4. 8 nuts Nut for Brake Mounting Bolt for 7" and 10" Brake Assemblies
5. 8 lock washers Lockwasher for Brake Mounting Bolt for 7" and 10" Brake Assemblies
6. 8 brake mounting bolts Brake Mounting Bolt for 7" and 10" Brake Assemblies
7. grease?
It totals $248.52 in September, 2013.

The parts and cost to add brakes to a 3.5K axle would be different:
Qty Product Total
2 84546UC3-EZ - Trailer Hub and Drum Assembly - 3,500-lb Axles - 5 on 4-1/2 - E-Z Lube $101.90
1 23-27 - 10" Electric Brake Assembly - Right Hand $35.95
1 23-26 - 10" Electric Brake Assembly - Left Hand $35.95
8 6-17 - Nut for Brake Mounting Bolt for 7" and 10" Brake Assemblies $2.00
8 5-8 - Lockwasher for Brake Mounting Bolt for 7" and 10" Brake Assemblies $1.20
8 7-75 - Brake Mounting Bolt for 7" and 10" Brake Assemblies $5.52
Total: $182.5
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby TD Dave » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I just got my Dexter #9 derated to 1400# today. It took 7 days to receive it from when I ordered it including the weekend. Can't expect better service than that.
HF 76", SB 56" 5x4.5, electeric brakes and 45* down
Dave
TD Dave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 am

Does anyone here know if there is a standard (fixed regardless of the bracket and HF measurement) of the torsion arm to bracket clearance. I have a frame measurement of 71 1/8 and a outside cab measurement of 71 3/4. Just wondering if it's going to "rub" the cab with those measurements?

I'm looking at 10 down angle..

Thanks,
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Gunguy05 wrote:Does anyone here know if there is a standard (fixed regardless of the bracket and HF measurement) of the torsion arm to bracket clearance. I have a frame measurement of 71 1/8 and a outside cab measurement of 71 3/4. Just wondering if it's going to "rub" the cab with those measurements?

Thanks,

Brian, The difference between the torsion swing arm & the body is dependent on the difference between the outside of the body & the hub face dimensions. Assuming a #9 axle, the dimension from the hub face to the inside of the swing arm is 6.2". I'd recommend a mounting bracket measurement of 71 1/8" & a hub face measurement of 86". 86" - (6.2 x 2) = 73.6" - 71.75" (body) = 1.85" divided by 2 = .9" clearance between body & swing arm on both sides. This should also allow reasonable clearance between the body & a normal size trailer wheel & tire.
    Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:
Gunguy05 wrote:Does anyone here know if there is a standard (fixed regardless of the bracket and HF measurement) of the torsion arm to bracket clearance. I have a frame measurement of 71 1/8 and a outside cab measurement of 71 3/4. Just wondering if it's going to "rub" the cab with those measurements?

Thanks,

Brian, The difference between the torsion swing arm & the body is dependent on the difference between the outside of the body & the hub face dimensions. Assuming a #9 axle, the dimension from the hub face to the inside of the swing arm is 6.2". I'd recommend a mounting bracket measurement of 71 1/8" & a hub face measurement of 86". 86" - (6.2 x 2) = 73.6" - 71.75" (body) = 1.85" divided by 2 = .9" clearance between body & swing arm on both sides. This should also allow reasonable clearance between the body & a normal size trailer wheel & tire.
    Fred

So from what I understand then, the 6.2 is constant for that particular axle, and they increase the length outside the brackets by adding material between the bracket and the swing arm?

That will make the tires track a little farther to the outside than I had hoped given the backspace of my rims/tires, but if that means I don't have to notch the wall cab and can do the 10 degree dn, rather than the 22.5 dn, then I guess I will make that compromise.

BTW: Where did you get that 6.2 measurement? Is there some dexter literature I missed somewhere? I looked all over for it, and could find side profiles of everthing, but nothing from the top down view.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:54 pm

http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Trailer_Axle_Resources/Torflex_Information.pdf pg. 3 has the #9 std at 6.5 and the short at 6.0 minimum.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:06 am

Gunguy05 wrote:
alaska teardrop wrote:

Thanks,

Fred

So from what I understand then, the 6.2 is constant for that particular axle, Yes and they increase the length outside the brackets by adding material between the bracket and the swing arm? Yes. The axle tube extends through the bracket to the swing arm. How far depends on the difference between the hub face & bracket dimensions that you call out when ordering.That will make the tires track a little farther to the outside than I had hoped given the backspace of my rims/tires, consider using zero offset trailer wheels. but if that means I don't have to notch the wall cab and can do the 10 degree dn, rather than the 22.5 dn, then I guess I will make that compromise. Because your body is wider than the frame & mounting bracket, you would not have clearance with either start angle at full shock load if you use the minimum overhang (6.5"). Where did you get that 6.2 measurement? Is there some dexter literature I missed somewhere? I looked all over for it, and could find side profiles of everthing, but nothing from the top down view. I no longer have a link that shows the dimension. I guess you'll have to take my word or go measure an axle.
Thanks,
Brian
    Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 am

alaska teardrop wrote:
Gunguy05 wrote:
alaska teardrop wrote:

Thanks,

Fred

So from what I understand then, the 6.2 is constant for that particular axle, Yes and they increase the length outside the brackets by adding material between the bracket and the swing arm? Yes. The axle tube extends through the bracket to the swing arm. How far depends on the difference between the hub face & bracket dimensions that you call out when ordering.That will make the tires track a little farther to the outside than I had hoped given the backspace of my rims/tires, consider using zero offset trailer wheels. but if that means I don't have to notch the wall cab and can do the 10 degree dn, rather than the 22.5 dn, then I guess I will make that compromise. Because your body is wider than the frame & mounting bracket, you would not have clearance with either start angle at full shock load if you use the minimum overhang (6.5"). Where did you get that 6.2 measurement? Is there some dexter literature I missed somewhere? I looked all over for it, and could find side profiles of everthing, but nothing from the top down view. I no longer have a link that shows the dimension. I guess you'll have to take my word or go measure an axle.
Thanks,
Brian
    Fred

Thank you! I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it... and I didn't doubt you on it. I just wondered how it all fit together and within what specs.

Sounds like exactly what I needed to know.. Now I know the right questions to ask when I call Dexter back, so as to get the right answers. Yesterday's phone case seemed a little uninfomed on both ends of the converstaion.. admittedly I didn't know what the right questions were to ask, but I wasn't really led in the right direction either.

Thanks again for the help, and drawing.... I'm sure it will help others out as well.

Brian
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets