"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby Kharn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:59 am

Bolting the walls to the frame does change the equation a bit...
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Things are starting to take shape! :twisted:

Wandered back into the garage this evening and started assembly of the side walls. They got arranged to form the profile, and finally glued and screwed together. Only did one side tonight, but so far so good!

Clamped it into position to get an idea of its size...

Need to pick up a couple more sheets of insulation this week.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 pm

I am stoked everytime I login and see I have a notification that you have posted an update. You have me thinking about doing something similar with my AC, that you have done with the batteries. :NC

It's looking great, and you are moving along fast. At this rate you will be camping in it by the end of APRIL :shock:

Great work!
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Kharn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Every time I think I might have a chance to catch up to Zach, my phone makes a noise and there's another topic reply notification in my inbox. :cry:

The X3 is looking good, I can't wait to see it at the campground.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 am

Gunguy05 wrote:I am stoked everytime I login and see I have a notification that you have posted an update. You have me thinking about doing something similar with my AC, that you have done with the batteries. :NC

It's looking great, and you are moving along fast. At this rate you will be camping in it by the end of APRIL :shock:

Great work!

Thanks Brian! I wish it would be camp-able by the end of April, but it all depends on selling my X-II teardrop. I have a huge shopping list of parts that I'm ready to order, but all that's in my wallet at the moment is sawdust.

Kharn wrote:Every time I think I might have a chance to catch up to Zach, my phone makes a noise and there's another topic reply notification in my inbox. :cry:

The X3 is looking good, I can't wait to see it at the campground.

Thanks John... I don't have a significant other to distract me, so I pretty much spend all my free time in the garage these days. :lol:

And Dan is a big help too. I put in about 12 hours on Saturday, and he was there for at least half of that. :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 am

You also have a heated 2-car garage, my brother threw down the tools and stormed off because he was too cold working in the driveway on Sunday morning. :lol:
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 am

Kharn wrote:You also have a heated 2-car garage, my brother threw down the tools and stormed off because he was too cold working in the driveway on Sunday morning. :lol:

Yeah, the heated garage definitely helps. I was out there last night and had the kerosene torpedo heater cranked up to a balmy 65. :twisted:

Working outside on Saturday was great though! Definitely ready for more days like that.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Next weekend 60s and 70s with 100% chance of in - laws..... sigh.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 am

be_a_jayhawk wrote:Next weekend 60s and 70s with 100% chance of in - laws..... sigh.

Ouch :frightened:

Snow here today, and supposed to be right around 60 this weekend. 0% chance of in-laws for me. :lol:

No pictures for proof, but I did get the other wall assembled last night. Now I need to go pick up a few sheets of insulation and cut those pieces before skinning can begin.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Little more progress tonight. Finished the mounting spots for what will be my oversized fenders, and also the mounting points for galley hatch gas struts. Having only 12" wheels right now makes the fender locations look a lot more ridiculous than they will when I'm done. :lol:

Also clamped both sdes in place to check out the alignment for the galley hatch bottom seal. The sides will get their 3/16" inside skins before they actually get attached to the trailer.

Things are still aligning pretty damn well! :twisted:

(knocks on wood)
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 pm

:thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks KC!

Hmm... just realized that I still have a few more pieces to cut to "finish" the main side walls - the radius corners for the 26x36 factory style doors.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 am

Found myself wandering through Home Depot last night. While I was there I decided to grab some insulation. Picked up some their 3/4" Owens-Corning PINK Foamular. Got them home and they were anything but 3/4". There were some areas in the middle of the panel that maybe one could consider 3/4" if you were blind or didn't know how to use a ruler. The edges were a barely a hair over 9/16". :? :x

Immediately drove back to Home Depot, got my money back, and drove up the street to Lowes. Their sea-foam green 3/4" insulation sheets were right on the money. And a few cents cheaper.

Got home, laid a sheet of insulation on the trailer, and then placed my wall frame on top. Marked my cuts with a utility blade, then stood the wall panel up so I could cut on my marks. One piece at a time, things started to come together!

All the pieces are pressure-fit into place, so they aren't going anywhere.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 am

I actually was going to ask someone about the insulation. Our big orange has 3/4 purple. It is dead on flush on both sides with a poplar (true cut) 1x4. I was concerned that with PL premium added on the side of the foam, that it would bulge a bit when skins were added. Am I worrying needlessly?

Looking good, and making great progress.

Brian
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks Brian! Glad your purple stuff worked out. The pink stuff was garbage as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure how thick the PL premium goes on. I actually haven't decided exactly how I'm attaching the skins. Originally I had just planned on copious amounts of wood glue and 18ga brad nails on all the boards, and letting the skins "float" over the foam. But now that I think about it, the air pressure may want to suck the panels out away from the foam as I'm driving at mach-1. Although I can't imagine that my foam areas are large enough to be affected too much. :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals