old campstove. What is it??

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

old campstove. What is it??

Postby ksmack01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:03 pm

I got my greasy little paws on this old camp stove today. I would love to know what kind and how old it is. There are no markings on it except for on the tank. It says " fill to this line". Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks118329118330118331118332118333
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Re: old campstove. What is it??

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm

That is one grungy stove. Looks like a Thermos, Holiday Model 8490. Or 8491

Way down near the bottom

They can be great burners. Just need to be careful of the Non Return Valve ( NRV ) in the pump. You have pulled the pump rod and pump piston out of the pump cylinder. You still need to pull the cylinder out of the tank. That is how you fill it.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Yep the tank, grate and pump all scream Thermos. Boy does that one need some TLC. I just realize that I have a Thermos that is not on Terry’s sight. I still need a grate for mine.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ksmack01 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Thank yall. I am going to try to get it going. If it wont work id be more than happy to give it to someone for parts, if anyone needs it.
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Probably the biggest problem you will have is with the NRV. Very tricky in these as unlike a Coleman there is no tube that takes the air above the normal level of fuel and there is no positive shut off needle valve in the pump. I would imagine the pump O ring is a bit on the brittle side and needs replaced. Should be able to find one locally. If not then Old Coleman Parts should have some. You can open the NRV with a little pointy tool pushed in from the pump side and you will see a little tiny valve on the end of the pump tube that goes in the the fuel. It looks like a small engine valve. These things can leak, can leak a lot, can leak a whole lot. Some people roll little tiny O rings on them. Last one I worked on was from a Polon stove and there is no room on that for an O ring so I took my tooth brush and brushed the seating areas and now that pump works just dandy.

The thermos are a good stove. Biggest pain beside the pump is the wind wings.

I just ran into something on the Coleman forum. they take a #112 O ring. And one guys says no oil on it also. You will probably also need the O ring for where the pump tube seals to the fount.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Hey, found what I was looking for has lots of scary stories but I do not let that stop me. Just take precautions. ( ya right )

Pictures of pump way down near bottom.

Fixing Thermos

I have even built me a little pointy tool to extend the valve. Ok. so I was bored and sharpened a hunk of welding rod one day. One of my more productive days.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby ksmack01 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I replaced the oring and cleaned it up a bit. I was able to get the thing to burn, both burners, but sumum aint quite right. Gonna keep playing with it. Maybe I can trade it for a coleman haha. I know a lil more about them.
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:34 pm

On those stoves the knob on the left, open it about 2 turns. Then crank the one facing you open as you apply the match. When the genny starts to warm up close the left one down, usually kind of slow. Sometimes it does not seem to matter what you do with the left knob. On some stoves it seems to be decoration or something. Once they are burning good they are good runners. And with a stove in that bad of shape you can paint it or do what ever you want to and few people will care.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment