Home Mountain bike trail system

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: Home Mountain bike trail system

Postby Fenlason » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 pm

glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:58 pm

I found a photo of the chute with the rock[s] back in place.

The hill continues further down than what can be seen. The current trail turns to the riders left.. and then parallels the ledge. I would like to continue the trail straight.. it continues go go downhill [although not as steeply] I would have a place for a smaller jump.. running in that direction.

I have had a few requests for a line to left of me.. for those to jump off the top. I need to clean and pack the landing wider.. [as well as "clean up" the entrance to the drop]
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 pm

Our double humper bridge.

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:13 pm

I started making arched bridges this past season. I had thought about them a bit and wasn't sure about them.. but they ended up stuck in my head and I had to try and build one. I think the first one I made was about 8' long. hmm maybe 6' ...Anyways at that size It was more work, and no cheaper than a regular beamed bridge, although it was a cheaper experiment, in case it did not work out well. Those first arches were so strong I knew I could go bigger. I have made a few now in the 12' range. [The double is made of 2 -12 foot arches.. with a connecter section.] The 12 foot sections work great. they do use less materials, are strong..look interesting, and being lighter in weight, it is easier to carry them out to where I need them. There are places where the arch also works better.. in the fact that, there is more space under them for high water and debris to flow under, or in rocky places like the double archer.. I can rise over the big rocks in the middle. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

This is one of the new dual track sections. It is a nice winding trail.. It gradually climbs toward the back of our neighbors property… it climbs in stages.. it is a fun climb.. and a ripping downhill. :twisted:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:49 pm

This was a fun bridge. From the south side there are 2 trails that come together to cross this bridge… so that you are entering it at an angle. I decide to try and bank the sides a bit. It works fairly well :D

The ends of the bridge did receive rock and dirt.. so the entrances were smooth.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 am

A skinny bridge. :D That is a brook it is spanning, although much of the year it is not that wet. Much of the time if someone choses to not ride the skinny, they can by- pass it. Or a ride off it does not have to "hurt". I did have dead cedar in that area to make it with.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 am

In that same area…

The one brook.. does split into 2 just before we cross it. Which at first sounds like a less favorable place to cross.. but upstream it is more a wet wide area. This bridge is not smooth.. or pretty, but I liked the "challenge" of it, and again I had dead cedar in this area I could utilize, and it is a little ways from my nearest dual track so other materials would have to be carried in.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Posting all this is driving me nuts. :o ;) I soooo want to get out and get to work. Our winter is lingering "horribly" I love winter.. but we are past the time when it is usable, and we are just waiting on bare [or almost bare] ground.

Any polishing of our more recently made trails.. will be earth work [vs pruning] so I need to wait for bare ground and frost out.. and probably a little dryer earth. So my first work will be flagging new trails. I do want to see the ground surface before doing that. so most of the snow needs to be gone. I do have quite a bit to flag out. The best time to do that is before the leaves come out… so early spring is the best for that [along with late fall / early winter][ after the leaves are down and frost has killed other vegetation.]

In the spring I like to get out and flag a bunch of stuff while I can. I do have quite a bit of recently made trails.. that need more work… so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

I do have tools and equipment to work on… and when it warms a little more I have more signs to finish.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:44 pm

We have gotten out to flag a new trail. We walk the area a bit, and then work at choosing the line we want. I use survey flags and tape to lay it out. There are times where a section of trail will come close to another section. In the layout faze, it can get confusing. If we are doing a bigger area, it gets hard to keep it memorized, and when following a "line" of flags, we run into "do we go this way or that"? I have started to use two colors at times, and that doesn't always help. I have wondered about numbering them or something. :thinking: :?

When flagging out a new route, we flag, and prune enough so that it become easier to follow. In thicker woods is is easier to follow than more open areas. Anyways I think we have this next trail laid out. The new sections I want to work on, are a bit of a walk from the house… and it does hurt some to walk it all. It is too wet to take my RTV or Tractor out.. soooo another option is the bike. I just set up a bike trailer to haul some tools. Most people doing this seem to now be using the Bob trailer, a single wheeled trailer that follows the bike well. I had a dual wheeled avenir kid hauling trailer donated to me. [from a friend whose kids are grown] We have set that up for hauling tools. We have enough dual track that this would work well on. I can save a few miles of walking [with a pack of tools] by using this. I have it set up that I can haul my chainsaw pack [saw, fuel, oil, tools and saw] my leaf blower, 2 fire rakes, my rogue hoe, loppers and axe. I am not sure I would haul all those at once?? It tows ok of level ground, but we do have some hills, that that might hurt on.

I only plan to use it when it is too wet for the big equipment, or maybe when I only need a few tools in an area.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:46 pm

This was before I finished it.. I was just checking things out. I have installed tie downs with straps. and clips etc to hold the tools in place. If I was to haul the leaf blower and the saw pack at once I would reverse their positions putting the blower in the front and the saw in the back.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Greg M » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Nah, blower sticking out back and running for a little assist :)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Greg M wrote:Nah, blower sticking out back and running for a little assist :)

:rofl2: :rofl2:

How about the blower in the front, but with the tube sticking out the back. With the blower in the back, it's a bit behind the wheels… causing the tongue to be on the light side. :o

hmm this makes me wonder about leaf blowing from the bike. I had a friend that wanted to try wearing his pack while on the bike to blow the trails. I thought it kind of nuts, and he has yet to find success…. but.. set up on the trailer.. I could perhaps leaf blow my dual track while still biking. :thinking: :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby rowerwet » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:49 am

reminds me of the guy with the pulse-jet on his bike, cool idea but crazy fast :shock:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri May 02, 2014 6:25 pm

rowerwet wrote:reminds me of the guy with the pulse-jet on his bike, cool idea but crazy fast :shock:

I just looked them up... :o

I think I will pass… especially in the woods... :NC
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles