New to this

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: New to this

Postby jseyfert3 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:22 pm

slowcowboy wrote:on the heator I got two of them. Lite mine the other day outside. lots of stink and not a lot of heat! lots of flames for up to 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!! defintly a outside heator!!!!!!!!!

slow

Yeah I planned to sell it cause it only puts out the heat of a $15 1500 W space heater from Walmart, but requires ventilation which would negate much of the heat benefits, plus drink Coleman fuel at $12/gallon. :shock: So not much use for me.

I got my generator for my 220F in the mail yesterday, but I was too busy to put it in. Once I'm home from work tonight I'll put it in and fire it up! Then I'll probably use it as a work light for the night while I work on my TD, to "test it out". :thumbsup:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby jseyfert3 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:48 am

Well, good news. The new generator did it, so I now have a working October 1971 Coleman 220F lantern. :thumbsup:

I took a video of the first lighting after generator replacement (2nd total, after it lit the first time after I got it then died a few minutes later).

After lighting, I spent a bit of time just watching it. Hung it on a hook in front of my house, it's definitely brighter then the 75 W equivalent CFL porch light.

I then took it to the garage, meaning to use it as supplemental work light while I worked on my teardrop. Ended up just watching it for over 5 minutes and experimenting with turning it down to night-light levels of brightness with the tip cleaner, and taking pics of the process.

I finally decided I should just go to bed, as my dad is coming over tomorrow to help with the teardrop anyway. But when I shut off the lantern I felt sad, and turned it back on before it could die. So now I've writing up this post while my lantern lights up the room, no electric lights turned on. Window open for fresh air since the lantern is burning, and it's sitting there, happily hissing and turning Coleman fuel to light. I notice it seems to dim and brighten a little bit, every couple seconds or so. Not like it's going out, just a little dimmer then a slightly louder hiss of fuel and brightens again. Causes the light to vary in brightness in a manner that reminds me of a campfire, except without the dancing shadows. Is this normal to a certain extent, or do properly operating lanterns have a very steady brightness?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:01 am

It's fun when things work out and the bright light fills the night. Each of these lantern's seem to have a personality. Like kids, they can be finicky, but once you get them to behave, it makes the battle worth while.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Found a good use for my lantern, grilling. Since I like to grill after work, and I get off work at 10 pm, it's usually dark when I want to grill. Usually I hold a flashlight when checking what's on the grill. Not tonight!

ImageCooking via Coleman

ImageDelicious

I'm sure I'll find lots of excuses to use this lantern. :thumbsup:

Now only if I could find a Coleman stove (used, white gas) locally to go with it for camping.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:31 am

Most lanter if you watch them will tent to slowly brighten and dim a bit.
That one looks good on the hook. Hanging flowpots hooks or "garden chrooks" work well for holding the lanter over the grill. :thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment