What size comforter/blanket for a queen bed?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

What size comforter/blanket for a queen bed?

Postby Esteban » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:01 am

:thinking: What size comforter or blanket is right to use on top of a queen size bed in a teardrop trailer? You do not need it to fully cover the sides of the bed like you would in a house. So a queen size comforter or blanket would be way too big.

Is a twin size good enough? :thinking:

Or maybe a full size? :thinking:

Need some help to know what to get.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: What size comforter/blanket for a queen bed?

Postby rowerwet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:05 am

double
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:37 am

We do have a queen but we also have a few inches on each side of the bed and some one who shall remain unnamed who tends pull covers.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:55 am

We use a full size comforter which is plenty big for our queen size mattress...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:19 pm

I made mine but it is about full size for our queen.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Not really an answer to your question, but here's what I did on my smaller trailer. As usual, being a bit different, I got a king-size comforter for my twin-size mattress. The logic here is: un-insulated cabin needs extra comforter (if one layer is good, two is better), and I tend to need large covers because I move around a lot. Actually, it came as a package deal...I bought a king set to wrap the fitted sheet around (cover all sides) of my mattress (which I fold in half, to make room to transport my cooler and water jugs inside the cabin), and the comforter came with it. I bought two king size pillows, which fit wall-to-wall inside, and had pillow shams left over (they were converted to window curtains). Admittedly, the extra material inside the cabin is a bit much to keep tidy,but now that I don't need to fold up the mattress (re-engineered the weight balance), I'll use the extra material to cover the second Ikea foam mattress I bought (to bring the thickness up to 6" thickness).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll buy a full/double size comforter and duvet for the teardrop. I really like the Maui print duvet from thecompanystore.com/maui-floral-duvet-cover It has a beautiful/happy/fun vacation feeling.
:)

At the CampInn website tinycamper.com/tips they recommend sewing the top sheet to the foot of the bottom sheet similar to how waterbed sheets are done. How does this work out in practice in a teardrop.
TIP 2: Bedding:

A-twin size comforter and/or blanket will fit well. Anything larger tends to be too bulky to tuck in.
Using a queen-size fitted sheet and a full-size flat sheet works well. The full-size flat sheet allows about a 10" overhang on both sides of the bed, which can easily be tucked in. If you choose to use a queen-size flat sheet instead, there will be about a 15" overhang on both sides of the bed.
On all models, an easy way to make the bed and keep the sheets in place is to sew the bottom of the flat sheet to the bottom of the fitted one. This is done just like waterbed sheets. Line up the centers of the bottom ends of the fitted and flat sheets. Then pin them together and machine stitch the two sheets together, sewing only between the two elastic corners of the fitted sheet . If you sew onto the elastic corners of the fitted sheet, you will tear both the stitches and sheets when you try to put them on the mattress.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Esteban wrote:At the CampInn website tinycamper.com/tips they recommend sewing the top sheet to the foot of the bottom sheet similar to how waterbed sheets are done. How does this work out in practice in a teardrop.

We did it on ours and it works very well. The sheet can't pull out while sleeping and making the bed is fast and easy. We have a 5" foam mattress. We pull it up forward to the top of our front cabinets this moves the bottom end of the bed where you can hook the sheets on to. We then drop the bed and finish pulling the fitted sheet on. Then we do the same thing with the blankets and comforter. It take about 7 minutes give or take to make the bed from scratch. In the morning, remaking the bed takes about a minute or so.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Full sheet set on a queen teardrop bed. Mattress is thinner in the tear, and sheets are made to cover a very thick mattress at home, so there is plenty of fabric, but not too much. A twin comforter would work for one sleeper and would exactly cover the mattress with no tucking. If you have two sleepers you will want a full.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Camping Secrets