Methanol for fuel??

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Methanol for fuel??

Postby Bodyman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:55 am

A number of years ago I was given a full case of gas line anti-freeze (98% Methanol). I have tried giving this away several times with no takers.
Lately I have wondered if this would be a suitable substitute for Coleman fuel. Research on the net has given no definite answers, although, I found that the meth manufacturers would be glad to take it off my hands. NO THANK YOU!!
Would this fuel work in a Coleman lantern, how well and is it even advisable?
Any other uses for this or should I just use it to start fires?

Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Re: Methanol for fuel??

Postby Wanna Be » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:30 am

I wonder if it would work as fuel for a "Penny" stove.

You Tube has some videos on how to make them.

Hope this helps !!!

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Don't use as a replacement for coleman fuel. It will cause problems. Methanol is the proper fuel for "penny" stoves. A couple of mine ...

Penny stoves (the one in the picture is using a nickel for more pressure) are useful and fun to build and experiment with, but have their own limitations and hazards (i.e. practically invisible flame in daylight).
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby jandmz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:39 pm

If you just want to get rid of it, start dumping it into your gas tank a little at a time. About a pint to a tankful should be OK.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Methanol has less than 1/2 the energy content per volume so if you tried it in a white gas stove and it did burn you'd have a slower cooker.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby logman7777 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 pm

As stated above get some aluminum cans and get your penny stove on... If you need some guidance go to instructables or google dot com to get some instructions..

Or just dump a pint in your tank or your lawnmower 5 gallon can at a time to use it up... :D
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment