Fuel mileage

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Fuel mileage

Postby rowerwet » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 am

to save money buy as much oops exterior paint as you can and use it to fill the weave, then once it is dry, paint the final coat(s) in the color you want.

for diluting http://www.titebond.com/frequently_asked_questions.aspx the manufacturer recommends no more than 5%, but that is for wood joining, for fabric I believe you could get away with more, but I don't have experience with that. (the big thrifty thread or the foam stream thread say up to 50% IIRC)
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showt ... ing-sealer
a link to people using TBII 50/50
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:01 am

Would that save money? Some dark colors require multiple coats to cover if the final coat is light.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris M. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply's everyone! I am finally able to sit down at a computer and type (been doing most of it from my phone). And yes camping is allowed at the race sites thankfully as that is what a lot of people do, but, in super big clumsy toy haulers. I would agree showers are a nice thing but for what we want it for we are willing to stink it up one night and then go. I am not afraid of roadsiding it either, was a semi truck driver for a good chunk of time and thats what im used to. I am currently in Idaho,

Actually i saw the gripper term thrown around on the forum and had to search it to figure it out and it seems like its just a water based primer in a can if i am correct. I am currently pricing everything out and thinking it through. I work at a local lumber yard and i can get almost everything i need thankfully through the store and my vendors. Currently looking at bring in 3inch blue dow foam in a 4x8 sheet for the for the project but im thinking it may be over kill, but would be nicely insulated. Anyone try a thicker foam?
Chris M.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jseyfert3 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Chris M. wrote:Actually i saw the gripper term thrown around on the forum and had to search it to figure it out and it seems like its just a water based primer in a can if i am correct. I am currently pricing everything out and thinking it through. I work at a local lumber yard and i can get almost everything i need thankfully through the store and my vendors. Currently looking at bring in 3inch blue dow foam in a 4x8 sheet for the for the project but im thinking it may be over kill, but would be nicely insulated. Anyone try a thicker foam?

Glidden Gripper. You are correct, it's a latex primer. Here's the 5 gallon bucket I picked up for use on my TD. I plan to attach the outer canvas with the Gripper (instead of Titebond II glue that some use). I'm not quite at that point, but I hope to have the outside canvased no later then Tuesday, probably started on Monday. Link in my signature if you want to watch that happen as I do it.

jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris M. » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 am

Oh i have been watching. Its my patients and anticipation for more photos that are going to be tested. Im actually excited for the next installment. But im leavin town tonight for another race so hopefully the weekend goes quick. Take lots of photos!
Chris M.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:52 am

jseyfert3 wrote:Would that save money? Some dark colors require multiple coats to cover if the final coat is light.

that depends on your ooops colors and the final coat, just don't buy the really dark oops gallons, or use them first and then transition to lighter paint.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles