Mud Flaps on the TV...?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Mud Flaps on the TV...?

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 am

After getting the TV stuck in a ditch :duh: , we proceeded to throw Mud all up against the front side of the trailer ... :shock: Mud Flaps should have helped prevent this ... I have then on the trailer ...for what good that did ... :roll:
Easy to add to the Chevy pickup... just wondering if anybody else uses these , and does it really help ... ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Mud Flaps on the TV...?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:05 am

Our Subaru has them, does not do a thing for the major mess BUGS!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:46 am

SC, you know ... we were concentrating so much on not hitting flying frozen turkeys , we Never thought about BUGS .... :o :shock: :frightened: guess we’re gonna’ need a nose ‘bonnet’ for the trailer too ... :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:52 am

Guess the question is , do they help from keeping mud and rocks from being thrown at the trailer ... ??? Are they worth installing ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Midget » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:48 am

I was tired of rock chips and dirt thrown up by the TV so I made a mud flap set up that attaches to the drop part of the hitch. It has cut down truck mud flaps and works great. My wife says it looks very redneck so when we're not pulling the trailer it just slides out with the hitch and stores away in the barn.

Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby HMK » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 am

I used to love going down a muddy road throwing rooster tails behind my pickup. I haven't done that in 30 years!!!!!
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby martymcfly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:55 pm

martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:23 pm

I have rock tamers:

Expensive but they work. The mud flaps that came with the truck don't do a thing.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:02 pm

Well, I do appreciate what a good mudflap can do for keeping a trailer front clean(er) but After I tore the second mudflap off the Tacoma (off highway rocks get in the way) I removed all of them; first with the Sawzall, later I tidied up with a wrench. Perhaps I need a set of the giant removable ones? :thinking:
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm

bdosborn wrote:I have rock tamers:

Expensive but they work. The mud flaps that came with the truck don't do a thing.

Bruce

I had Rock Tamers and sold them since I still got rock dings on the teardrop.
They were big, heavy and ugly and took up too much storage space.

Since then I have made a lightweight, removable rock guard that goes on the tongue with pins and shock cords to hold it in place.
I'm very pleased with it's performance.

I also have mud flaps on all 4 fenders of the tow vehicle.
The way a Chevy Trail Blazer is made the front wheels will throw rocks & ding the protruding rear fenders.
I bought it second hand and it has lot of dings on the rear fenders.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby aggie79 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:21 am

Danny,
I like your idea and may borrow it. I can't remember what the exact product name is called but on the TD fenders I installed 3m clear film. It is the same stuff used on cars to prevent paint chips and dings from rocks. It works great.
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:18 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:
Since then I have made a lightweight, removable rock guard that goes on the tongue with pins and shock cords to hold it in place.

I think you're mixing issues; the OP was about mud. You solution will do absolutely nothing to stop mud from being sprayed on the trailer from the TV, whereas the rock tamers or an equivalent variant do help a lot with mud. You probably installed the rock tamers too low if they didn't work for you - they hit the ground if they're too low and do more harm than good by kicking up gravel.

:D
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 am

aggie79 wrote:Danny,
I like your idea and may borrow it. I can't remember what the exact product name is called but on the TD fenders I installed 3m clear film. It is the same stuff used on cars to prevent paint chips and dings from rocks. It works great.
Tom

Tom, go ahead and borrow it that's why I shared it.
I've often thought of putting clear film on my chromed fenders but wasn't sure if it would compromise/peel the chrome plating if I removed it.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:30 am

bdosborn wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:

I think you're mixing issues; the OP was about mud. You solution will do absolutely nothing to stop mud from being sprayed on the trailer from the TV, whereas the rock tamers or an equivalent variant do help a lot with mud. You probably installed the rock tamers too low if they didn't work for you - they hit the ground if they're too low and do more harm than good by kicking up gravel.

:D
Bruce

Bruce, Sometimes original issues (OP?) bring up other issues, it's human nature.
My apologies if some consider it a hijack, that wasn't my intention.
I saw the Rock Tamers and it brought up my issue, as I don't run around in mud.
I installed them as instructed but didn't like the added hassle of putting them on and off.
Like they say, one shoe doesn't fit all.
They weren't worth the hassle for little or no benefit so I came up with my own solution and thought I'd share it.
I have Chevy emblem mud flaps that are 11" wide and hang down close to the rim bottom so I'm very well protected.

I feel a lot of teardrop dings are from large trucks that have large mud flaps but don't protect other vehicles from the side.
No mud flap can deal with that situation.
Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bdosborn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:47 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:I feel a lot of teardrop dings are from large trucks that have large mud flaps but don't protect other vehicles from the side. No mud flap can deal with that situation.

True and I have to admit you approach has me thinking. I wonder if it helps aerodynamically with airflow around the trailer. The curved sides look like they might help direct air around around the sides of the trailer. :thinking: Did you notice any difference?

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles