A DIY rain shield for my Fan-Tastic Vent

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

A DIY rain shield for my Fan-Tastic Vent

Postby deleted » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:17 pm

A few months back I started thinking about how to protect my vent during rainstorms as past storms had necessitated closing the vent completely to prevent water intrusion.

I ran a few ideas by Fred (Alaska Teardrop) and he sent me the link to the Ultra Breeze vent cover http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/ultrabreeze.html. My reply to him was "But it has to be cute and that's not." LOL :lol: I swear, sometimes I feel like I can hear Fred's eyes roll over the phone when we discuss the particulars of how I want things to look, not just function. But these things matter when you're a glamper, not just a camper :R

So this is what I came up with, a DIY Sunbrella rain tarp, and so far it's worked like a charm in the past 72 hours allowing me to run the vent fan while torrential wind and rain were all around Kitai and I. More photos and details are in today's post over on my blog: http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-cute-diy-sunbrella-rain-tarp-for-tiny.html

And if you're so inclined and wouldn't mind dropping a vote for me as "Best Local Blogger' there's a link at the top of the post and only three days left to vote in the Bay List competition. As a volunteer tourism and tiny trailer ambassador I'm hoping some of you have been inspired to visit the Bay Area after reading some of my past posts. :)

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: A DIY rain shield for my Fan-Tastic Vent

Postby SBergeron » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 am

Cute Stacie--now you just need to sew some scallop edging and then you can set some poles at the the corners and have it extend as a bit of awing at the door side of your trailer too. I know you have a cute awning that you can sit under in the sun but having some thing you can use to keep the rain from running down your neck when you get in and out of your trailer would make it even more pleasant. :)

We are just getting our trailer ready for our first trip out this coming weekend. It is going to be nice weather and we are just heading out about 30 miles from home but it is the first trip of the season and I'm so excited!

Cheers,
Stephanie
Washington State
Picked up our New Teardrop Sashay from from Teardrops NW in Salem Or September 20, 2013!
On location in Goldendale at the full sized Replica Stonehenge.
SBergeron
Teardrop Builder

Postby deleted » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:23 am

I'm excited for you! Have fun on your trip.

I did already make another awning for rain though where I'm currently staying there's no dirt to stake the tent poles in. I did find a couple of cute metal stands that can work on concrete but I have to modify them a bit.

Currently this awning is now sideways across the trailer to cover the windows. A hormone crazed male bird has been attacking my windows and hubcaps because he thinks his reflection is an intruder. I awoke a few mornings ago to him tap, tap, tapping on my windows. I was afraid he would damage the tinting when he was still at it an hour later. So, I improvised.

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SBergeron » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:51 am

LOL Stacie, I just got done reading about that Junco and it's tippity tapping at your windows and hubcaps.

I really do like the warm yellow glow through your Fantastic Fan. You are very clever!

Our Teardrop is really tiny too! It is just 6.5 feet long and 4 feet wide. :) My hubby and I sleep comfortably in it. I just finished making a new duvet cover and some polka dot window covers. We had this one built for us and I got to design the cabinets in the galley and the cabin just the way I wanted them. I love cooking in the Galley!
I'll be taking some photos this weekend and posting them. I realized that my gallery is seriously lacking in fun photos!.

hugs!
Stephanie
Picked up our New Teardrop Sashay from from Teardrops NW in Salem Or September 20, 2013!
On location in Goldendale at the full sized Replica Stonehenge.
SBergeron
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:08 am

I avoided a roof vent for the rain reason, instead I have a 6" round vent at the top of each side wall. you could add a ring to the back of your trailer, like the one I use for my side tents, to make the cover into an awning over the door.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 am

Nice solution Stacie! If you're looking for something a little more permanent, you could build your own fan cover to match the rest of the camper...

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 pm

A Maxair ll cover works great. Attaches easy and can be removed just as easy for cleaning. I did think it looked a little out of place on a teardrop to begin with but the advantages out weigh the looks and I have gotten used to the looks. Keeps the rain out all of the time, even when stored - along with being able to travel down the road with the vent wide open anytime I want. Normally, I have it open all of the time. They are sold at Camping World for about $30 to $50 depending what color you get.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MtnDon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:14 pm

I guess our cargo conversion is not cute. I love the Ultrabreeze for it being always there and "on the job" no matter if we are parked beside the house or whatever. . However I do like your TD.

IT is cute.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby deleted » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 pm

SBergeron wrote:Our Teardrop is really tiny too! It is just 6.5 feet long and 4 feet wide. :) My hubby and I sleep comfortably in it. I just finished making a new duvet cover and some polka dot window covers.

Wow Stephanie! Even though it's 6" longer than The Glampette your trailer is tinier in a way since it's sleeping two :o Glad you love yours. I love the small space. It just makes it cozier. You need to post pictures of your sewing projects :) And you're right. My awnings need scalloped edges. They're on the to do list.

rowerwet wrote:I avoided a roof vent for the rain reason, instead I have a 6" round vent at the top of each side wall. you could add a ring to the back of your trailer, like the one I use for my side tents, to make the cover into an awning over the door.

Hi rowerwet! I do have two small passive vents (one over each side window) but find that I throw off so much body heat that I need to keep the vent lid open with the fan on blowing outward to avoid condensation from building up inside the trailer on cold nights. Coldest to date was the 28ยบ night I spent in Oregon last fall. I do have an awning rail on the back of my trailer, just didn't take the time to sew a rope in one end when I made the rain awning as I needed to get it up asap. I guess I could go back and trim the end, add the rope, and re-add two new grommets to the corners so it can double as a tarp or awning. :thinking:

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Nice solution Stacie! If you're looking for something a little more permanent, you could build your own fan cover to match the rest of the camper...

Thanks Zach! I mentioned your suggestion to Fred. He agreed I could add a nice metal cover to match the rest of the trailer if I wanted to. It would be functional and meet my aesthetic wants/needs in keeping everything complementary.

gudmund and MtnDon, thanks for the feedback about how well the Maxair and Ultrabreeze work. I wish I didn't care about the aesthetics so much as they are the most practical solution. If either were made in bright safety yellow maybe I could be convinced :thinking: But in black or white I just can't see myself choosing one. The one benefit of the tarp is that it worked equally well as a vent and window cover now that we're under siege by the bird.

LOL last night the towels blew off the tires so this morning bright and early I heard "tap, tap, tap."
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:02 am

;)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby deleted » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am

Good one :lol: :thumbsup:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:57 pm

stop by a Camping World and see if they would let your take a black one outside and set it on top of your vent to see how it looks. Black is kind of neutral and goes with just about any color. Mine is the black with reflective red tape showing to the rear with silver reflective tape on both sides for "safety". Take care.
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Lady Teardroppers