I HATE Camping World!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: I HATE Camping World!

Postby George Taylor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Just read the first post. I had a similar run in at the Chichester, NH store when I was building my teardrop. I needed a window crank extension. The web site said they have them so I stopped in on my way to a job. I did find the spot on the shelf where it should have been, but they were out. Not a problem with that, it happens. I asked the sales guy when they would be getting some in. His response "We get trucks in all the time." What the hell kind of answer is that? I then went to a local store, Cold Springs RV, in Weare, NH. There response ,"No we do not have is, It will be here in 2 days". They just charged me $.50 over what their cost was.
George Taylor
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:03 am

Just before I left CW we had a training seminar by some "Kid" with a long title and no experience.

Me; 20 years in the RV business and another 25 in the Housing industry.

He made a statement that really turned me off.

1. The customer is always right. (OK)

2. Sometimes the customer's an A$$Hole!

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GerryS » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:55 am

The greenwood indiana camping world used to be an independent (Stouts RV) so there may me some echoes of the past there.

1). Yes, they do ha a "coach" mindset, except in the retail store.
2). The service/parts counter is sublet to another company, and the counter guy was quick to point that out....ironically, his counter was the one bad or disinterested in helping me. Effectively told us we were wasting his time....then reluctantly found some one and walked away.
3). We ha a Dometic fridge (CF-35) that was acting wired. The people we were finally put in touch with were camping world staff who actually replaced the defective unit, almost no questions asked with their last floor unit. The retail store tried to help...and at their markup, they should. The stocked items are generally very overpriced and similar stuff can be gotten elsewhere, with the exception of thinks like self-aiming satellite dishes etc.

I do not like the store in general because it clearly caters to RVs types who are dreaming of portable homes as opposed to camping. As teardrop owners, were kore one step up from a tent than one step below Rv. So, to be fair we don't really fit their business model well, Just like we don't fit outfitters well either. In some small way, out niche is a bit of our own creation. Still, when I had a problem with a previously purchased item the 2 twenty something's working seemed interested in helping....

It seems there are almost 3 companies in each location....parts/service, RV sales, and retail. The retail folks are the only ones I've ever had a strongly positive experience with. Although 99% we just walk through and buy what we need at Meijer...I frankly don't know why I ever stop. It's a LOT cheaper elsewhere.

The parts guys...yeah, pompous, Unless you're in a "coach" they don't look at you straight.

The Rv sales guys, well they suffer the same problem as car salesman. Unless your wanting to buy top of the line and are willing to pay sticker or a premium over, you're wasting their "valuable" time. I hate sales-schmucks. Never have I been looking at a small unit and not been virtually ignored or immediately moved to "real" RVs. With the rare exception of the older gentleman who is selling to pass time and talk to a few people they all seem to be the same. If I see French cuffs and a pressed shirt or worse a polo shirt with crisply creased dress pants and dress shoes (you know trying to look casual), I bee-line it for the nearest exit.

I wish dealers would just publish fair prices and remove the commissioned and quotas sales schmucks from the mix, it sickens me that if I bought a unit and set up in the campground next to an identical unit that the other owner and I paid radically different prices just because one of us knew the "game" better than the other. It shouldn't take hours of negotiating and a tug of war to buy anything that is essentially a commodity item. It's not like a horse where breeding and temperament are an issue. An RV is an RV....but it won't change, RVS and cars are both suckers bets, and the culture around them is the same.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 am

I believe in finding companies that honorably provide service and quality products, The company that built the adapter for the AC unit and helped with the propane lines for the trailer will be the ones replacing our 35 YO not efficient but durable furnace. If I am not happy with the RC consumer garbage parts and appliances I will find ones that are good quality and meet what I feel is an acceptable quality level. I was not happy with the big clugy external sower units so imported a well made one from Bullfinch along with one of their gas points. I was not happy with RV light fixtures so bought marine units which I supplied to the builder. I was not happy with drilling holes in the roof for solar panel mounts and the company selling what I wanted in Europe and would not export to the US so I found the manufacturer in China... You do not have to put up with garbage, but it will take a good bit of work.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:34 am

only_the_truth wrote:THE REALITIES OF BUYING FROM AND WORKING AT CAMPING WORLD.

*** Disclaimer: I worked at Camping World in Golden, CO for aprox 7months. This is my story and these are my experiences viewed through my eyes working there. These are not allegations, simply my experiences and opinions expressed.
I am also a 2 time RV buyer from Camping World. this is how they treat repeat customers who become employees and want to have a fun job.

Wow, nice first post. Are you trolling all the RV sites or just here. :thumbdown:
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Given the string has been hijacked a bit on customer service in general I'll share a DirecTV story. We upgraded to HD and they came out to install the new bigger dish. After dorkinig up my drip rail and doing a shlock job the tech said my coax needed to be upgraded, it wasn't his job, and that I should go buy new coax, install, and then the system would work.

I did, it didn't and was frustrated.

I got a call from the QA department asking what I thought of the installation. I said: "I was under the impression that it was supposed to work after it was "installed". Their unspoken thought was WTF is this guy saying, ha. Anyway they sent another couple of guys out who were appalled at the mess left by the first fellow. They replaced the dish (the first one was bent up), beefed up the mounting so it was solid, and when they left everything was proper and the system working. I think the first fellow probably got some "well deserved feedback".

Perhaps the first fellow was having a bad day. In general every time a DirecTV installer has be out they've been pretty good.

That said we recently cancelled service, subscribed to Netflix and have been streaming from Netflix and other sites. Saving about $80/month.
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 am

eamarquardt wrote:That said we recently cancelled service, subscribed to Netflix and have been streaming from Netflix and other sites. Saving about $80/month.

That really is the best way to solve the problem. Report the issue to a person who should know, and vote with your wallet and feet. If the market agrees, the business will ultimately change...or fail. Unless they are bailed out by big brother. Regardless, you aren't affected by it since you've already moved on to another supplier.

As tearjerkers, there really is so little we need from Camping World, it's not worth getting excited about. The only thing I've bought from them has been a refrigerator, a fan to put inside said refrigerator (the little battery operated kind) and a brake controller.....all 3 I could have easily bought elsewhere.

My experience has not been as bad a some. But I have reason to believe what they are saying is true. If I ever downgrade to a bigger coach, I'll find a smaller dealer on buy from am individual through an online auction site.

Yup....customer service is in trouble in the world today. Maybe some day we will stop always looking for the cheapest thing we can find. You can have it good, fast, and cheap. But you can only have 2 of those options...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lesbest » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Customer service will only get worse. Today McDonalds, tomorrow .............(you fill in the blank).

Racing to the bottom!!

Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby Woodpecker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am

May as well chime in. Not that big a deal but definitely apropos.
I had just bought a little tent camper in Las Vegas and needed a hitch on my Mustang. CW was the closest place.
I was immediately struck by how hard it was to get help there, they basically blew me off.
The whole attitude was "If you're not driving a 30k rig we just don't want your business."
They finally did do it. Cut away parts of my frame. MY Classic 1966 Mustangs frame! "That's standard" the guy says. The ball was a full inch off center too.
Went across the street to a small muffler and exhaust shop. They removed and re-installed the hitch in the middle of the bumper where it belongs, repaired the frame damage, welded in the hitch and hooked me up for $45 in shop time. Checked the part number on the hitch, it was for a Ford Pick Up truck. They simply cut away my cars frame to make it fit. Huge over-sized hand hacked holes in the frame where they evidently used a chisel to make things fit, the ball off-center, the whole job was just done by the 3 stooges.
CW charged me over $300 to cut my cars frame and botch a simple hitch installation. Not including the $185 hitch that wasn't even for my car.
Never been in one since.
Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 am

Mnkeeboy wrote:May as well chime in. Not that big a deal but definitely apropos.
I had just bought a little tent camper in Las Vegas and needed a hitch on my Mustang. CW was the closest place.
I was immediately struck by how hard it was to get help there, they basically blew me off.
The whole attitude was "If you're not driving a 30k rig we just don't want your business."
They finally did do it. Cut away parts of my frame. MY Classic 1966 Mustangs frame! "That's standard" the guy says. The ball was a full inch off center too.
Went across the street to a small muffler and exhaust shop. They removed and re-installed the hitch in the middle of the bumper where it belongs, repaired the frame damage, welded in the hitch and hooked me up for $45 in shop time. Checked the part number on the hitch, it was for a Ford Pick Up truck. They simply cut away my cars frame to make it fit. Huge over-sized hand hacked holes in the frame where they evidently used a chisel to make things fit, the ball off-center, the whole job was just done by the 3 stooges.
CW charged me over $300 to cut my cars frame and botch a simple hitch installation. Not including the $185 hitch that wasn't even for my car.
Never been in one since.

I think I'd have been forced to tell that story to "de judge" and get the money back spent on the hitch, the money you spent at the muffler shop back, and perhaps some for damages.

I always like to watch on that rare occasion when someone works on something of mine. Years ago I bought a new 73 VW van. The engine was different than the 40 hp block and it had a separate drain plug for the engine oil. The plate for the oil strainer was held in place by a single bolt (versus the 6 6mm studs in the 40 hp block) that went up to one of the cam bearing saddles. That one bolt was sensitive to overtightening which would distort the saddle the cam rides in. I watched a "kid" undo the bolt, realize his mistake, and then tighten it without using a torque wrench. I complained and the service manager denied it even though I had watched with my own eyes the whole event. Fortunately there was a Porsche dealer right next door and as I left I got one of their mechanics to undo and torque the bolt properly.

Buyer beware.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Toyotamike » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:23 am

Make sure when you have a customer service problem you report it to the manager. I always hated when I was a bar manager and everyone would be all smiles and then slam us for something on yelp. It's easier to complain anonymously online then face to face, I understand, but it fixes nothing. :beer:
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Sun May 04, 2014 11:55 pm

I took my '67 VW bus to Midas for a new muffler. It had to be ordered and I had to pay up front. "What if it doesn't fit?" I was assured it would fit.

Took it back for the install. I'm watching the tech walking from front to back under the vehicle with a light. When I asked him what he was looking for he said "I'm checking the exhaust for leaks." I asked if he realized the engine was in the rear and the exhaust was back there too. All 8" of it.

And the muffler didn't fit.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Mary C » Fri May 09, 2014 12:29 pm

No matter what I am buying I always check out the customer service BEFORE I buy anything, long time ago, really long time ago, I went in because I saw a TD type trailer in the lot out front. I decided I would go inside and find out about trailer wheels and tires. OK I made up my story as I was walking in took me nearly 20 minutes of waiting at the service dept. then asked my question and the "Man" didn't say anything but bring them in and we can take a look next.......Well i stated that if i had a wheel and tire on it I would. Then I walked out and looked at the TD type trailer, A man walked up and said " You don't want that, Let me show you a little one made just for you" then walks me over to this Mammoth of an RV and tries to sell me on it. I just asked him if his manly part was little or big in comparison to this RV " little one made just for me". cause he had visual agnosia and should have it checked. As he stammered I offered to write it down for him....... I went back and checked out the little TD alone and soon left.
I am embarrassed :oops: to say my son and daughter in law i believe have bought a 12 foot pull type trailer and I believe it was from them. Lord :worship: I hope they have no problems........

Mary C. :lady:

For those of you who look it up I does include in the general definition the inability to discern size, color, and mass of an object and a distortion of sound of certain objects. It has to do with the interpretation of objects and has many other similar and near like definitions. I once knew a man who could not recognize anyone. Not even his immediate family but knew their voice and the fact that they wore a little pin which helped him. The condition developed after a motorcycle accident at age 17. He always knew the Doctor up stairs and called him by name I asked him how he knew this and he said he always wore a bow tie. It was fascinating and I looked it up and talked with a few Doctors about it and learned a little more. It was once showcased on a TV show some years ago and I believe it was on National Geographic.

:wine:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby oakinteriors1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Camping World opened up within 5 miles of 2 other RV dealers near me off I-70..... I found out you have to pay to get a membership to get a merchandise discount never bought anything and won't go back....I go to Trailside RV where we bought our first Pop -Up 20 years ago...
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:11 pm

only_the_truth wrote:
please read company/employee reviews on Camping World, written by current and former employees.
basically they have a failing grade of 38% approval rating. with bs situations like this, its easy to see how this grade was formulated. CW is a failing company and Marcus Lemonis is too busy with Nascar to make it work. If you are showing a profit, I honestly don't know how with all the negativity circulating on this brand… A-HA, its the shipping charges that keep you a float, huh?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Campin ... E19691.htm

My employee Review on Glass Door.

“When Procedure is more important than Product.”
Service Tech (Former Employee) Swedesboro, NJ

Pros – Worked for 15 years as a Tech (not an installer) The people at my lever were great

Cons – Before I left they initiated a Policy where each and every operation you had to stop, start up a computer, log in and typed in a description of what you did. Taking away from the time the Customer was paying for.

Before this system if a Tech saw something on a customers coach he could add/sell he was allowed to do so just by writing in the Part and the operation. This could be done, and was done often because first off the system was easy and the Tech had the time to do it.

Under the New system, first off he had less time and secondly he had to go to the service counter, wait in line for a service writer, write up the add on then call the customer and get his/her approval (Like we were lying to them)

All this took away the free time to do the add on job.

If a Tech did this he was grossly behind in his work.

Sooo, the Tech's stopped doing add on jobs.

Then we were told, with a straight face that add on sales were down and to pick them back up!!

Nobody in Management realized that this system had virtually fired all there Best "Hands on"add on salespersons! The Tech's!

In addition they had a 11-12-15 what ever point check that was included checking tires, oil, wiper fluid, lights, LP pressure and a host of other things taking more time.

We figured it out one time that if a Customer came in and had a 1 hour service job that he was only getting 35 minutes of actual service.

I was billed out at $109 an hour for Tech work. This meant that the customer, to get a full hours work done would be paying almost $156. an hour.

Totally unfair to the Customer. Like paying for a dozen eggs and only getting 7.

Advice to Senior Management – KISS. If what your "Bean Counters" want to know is costing you more money in time, sales and customer complaints, Maybe that information isn't as important as there telling you it is.

No, I would not recommend this company to a friend

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic