Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: A List of 108 trailers' size & weight

Postby 2bits » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Sorry to add to your work Sharon, but we all appreciate it! Do I get an award for the lightest at 520lbs for my 4x7 Teardrop!
Attachments
09.jpg
09.jpg (171.51 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 am

Thanks for your input, Thomas. :)
Your 'reward' is that it will be listed on the sheet when I post a new one. :lol:

Do you happen to remember the measurements and weight of the other teardrop you built? Wasn't that called the Luxury Tent?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:15 am

Revised spreadsheet was updated 7/10/14 and moved to page 1.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: A List of 114 trailers' size & weight

Postby Vedette » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Sharon
Your obviously very familiar with the workings of a spreadsheet.
I on the other hand am not that computer savvy. :cry:
I have a spreadsheet for our car club membership list.
It is very similar to the one you have for the trailer dimensions and weights.
Members are listed in alphabetical order.
There is a row of numbers down the left side for each line of cells. (numbers do not appear when list is printed)
My question is: How do I add a new member to this spread sheet in the appropriate alphabetical location?
And how do you move or delete the lines between cells?
In the past I have sent this document to our members via e-mail as an attachment for them to print.
Could It be revised by the recipient if sent this way?
It is a rainy Saturday morning here, how are things with you?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Vedette wrote:Hi Sharon
Your obviously very familiar with the workings of a spreadsheet.
I on the other hand am not that computer savvy. :cry:
I have a spreadsheet for our car club membership list.
It is very similar to the one you have for the trailer dimensions and weights.
Members are listed in alphabetical order.
There is a row of numbers down the left side for each line of cells. (numbers do not appear when list is printed)
My question is: How do I add a new member to this spread sheet in the appropriate alphabetical location?

Simply put your cursor on the line number below where you want to add a line and click. That row will become highlighted. With that row still highlighted, take your cursor up to the top of the screen and click on 'Insert'. A pull-down screen will appear. Click on 'Rows'. That will add an extra line above the one that you had highlighted.

There is a way to sort your data to get it in the order that you want it; but, that is a little more complicated to explain here. For your needs, the above should suffice.

Vedette wrote:And how do you move or delete the lines between cells?

I'm not certain that I know what you mean.
If you mean that you don't want the grid lines to print, go up to top of your screen and click on 'File'. A pull-down menu will appear. Click on 'Page Setup'. Another screen will appear that has tabs on it. Click on the 'Sheet' tab. When the 'Sheet' screen appears, click on the box next to 'gridlines' and click on the 'OK' at the bottom of that screen This will un-check that feature and the lines will no longer appear when you print your document. If you decide you like the lines, (makes it easier to follow your line or column) just repeat the above and, when you click on the 'gridline' , the check will reappear. Don't forget to click on 'OK' or your changes won't be changed.

If you want a column to be wider to fit your typing, probably the easiest way would be to click on the column letter, which will highlight the entire column. Next, take your cursor up to the top of the screen and click on 'Format'. A pull-down will appear. Click on 'Column' and another pull-down will appear. Here, my guess would be for you to click on 'AutoFit Selection'. This should enlarge your column to the width of the widest data in that column. If that doesn't do what you want it to do, there are a couple other ways to do what you want. If I haven't given you the answers that you need, just let me know and I will try to help.

Vedette wrote:In the past I have sent this document to our members via e-mail as an attachment for them to print.
Could It be revised by the recipient if sent this way?

If you mean that you are sending it as a file and not a scanned photo or print-out, then, yes. They can revise it anyway they want as that file becomes their own. However, your personal copy will not change when they change theirs. If they want to update the file for you, they will have to edit their copy, save the changes, and send it back to you. Then, you simply upload the copy that they sent you. If you want to save your old copy, rename it to something else before you upload the one that they are sending you, so that the newly uploaded file doesn't overlay your original.

If you don't want them to be able to change it, print it out and scan the printed page back into your computer and send that as a photo. You can also take a photo of the printed page and send that photo to people.

I am using an older version of Excel. Hopefully, these features have not changed. I doubt it has changed much. Remember to always save any data that was entered before you try any new Excel tactics. That way, if you don't like what you've done, you can simply exit without saving and that should cause your files to revert back to whatever it was the last time you clicked on 'Save'.

Vedette wrote:It is a rainy Saturday morning here, how are things with you?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

It is a beautiful, sunny day here, with temperatures expected to be near 80. While it is quilte pleasant, what we really need are some more cloudy, rainy days. It was announced on the news last night that, if we don't get more rain soon, the farmers will run out of allocated water by June. When you come down to the Dam gathering, Shasta lake will have a huge "bathtub ring". The dams are currently only half full.

Have a great day and enjoy the rain!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks Sharon
I am headed out to my office to try this out.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:22 pm

...No problem. Good Luck. I'm signing off, now.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Weirdnerd » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm

My teardrop " Pihuicho" named by my daughter after a small South American parakeet:

Weight 1740 lb, All up weight , includes 20lb propane bottle, 6 gallons of water, and battery.
Tongue weight: 96 lb
Lenght: 10 feet bed, 13.3 feet from hitch to tail
Width: 6 feet
Height: 6 feet from ground to top of vent

The teardrop is fully insulated, 1.5" solid insulation top, bottom, back and sides, it has been my home away from home for three years in all kinds of weather.

Total material cost in 2010: 2000 dollars ( lots of wood was recycled from construction sites)

This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby Watercamper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:06 am

Just found this list. Very nice. I didn't go through all of the posts, just went to the end. Is the spreadsheet shared on Google Drive?
Ken
Watercamper
Teardrop Builder

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 am

Looking at the numbers and I can not figure out why the 5x10 is almost 500 pound heavier than a 5x8. Does adding 2 extra feet really on average make a trailer that much more heavy.

Reason for griping is want to build another and get it lighter than my current 5x10 at 1600 pounds and lose about half the weight if at all possible.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 pm

2bits wrote:Sorry to add to your work Sharon, but we all appreciate it! Do I get an award for the lightest at 520lbs for my 4x7 Teardrop!

I guess I will have to helium fill the tires on rip van winkle my 4x7 to beat ya !

It was scale weighed at #525 with bedding installed. :(
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:17 am

Bob Henry, I added your rip van winkle to the spreadsheet but will wait to print and post it until we get a few more weights and measure from others. (It seems that, usually, when this thread comes back to the top, a couple more people will chime in with their information.)

Thanks for your input, everybody! Keep 'em coming.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:40 am

Forrest747 wrote:Looking at the numbers and I can not figure out why the 5x10 is almost 500 pound heavier than a 5x8. Does adding 2 extra feet really on average make a trailer that much more heavy.

Reason for griping is want to build another and get it lighter than my current 5x10 at 1600 pounds and lose about half the weight if at all possible.

Forrest, how much the trailer weighs is often based on how the builder assembled his or her trailer and the products that were chosen. In example, a trailer built with 1x2 boards is going to weigh less than the same trailer, built with 2x2's or 2x4's. Also, using 1/2" thick plywood for the sides instead of a sandwich of 1/8" plywood/Styrofoam/1/8" plywood is going to cause a build to weigh more. Getting carried away with the skeletal structure can also make a difference, as can the weight of the chassis, which can also differ (unless both are the same Harbor Freight model). Even whether it has the added weight of a lifting roof (like mine) or if it had over-built cabinets can make a difference. Even the type of wood used for the skeletal structure can make a difference. For example, 1x2" poplar boards will weigh less than 1x2 pine or oak boards. Everything is relative to how the trailer was built and all the spreadsheet can do is give a builder an idea of how much his or hers might weigh and what the lowest possible weight might be. When you have the builder's forum name, you can either look up the build or PM the builder to ask how the trailer was built. Therein lies the answer.

I hope all is well with you and yours!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jonw » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Forrest747 wrote:Looking at the numbers and I can not figure out why the 5x10 is almost 500 pound heavier than a 5x8. Does adding 2 extra feet really on average make a trailer that much more heavy.

A lot of the extra weight may be due to all the extra things people build-in or take with that extra room...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

Sharon, my latest build is 5 x 10'-6", and weighed in at 1280lbs. Thanks!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion