Muircockhall Build Log

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Muircockhall Build Log

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:26 am

Well there's something else that we have in common? A Rover project that distracted us from our builds!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks KC, it is really exciting, my son is champing at the bit to get going. I have slight concern I've bitten off more than I can chew, but if it goes pear-shaped I'll be able to get my money back and I've had some fun together.
:beer:
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby WeirdDogGuy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 am

Very nice Landy! You have good taste in TVs. Did you sell your Saab? Rust???? I thought Landys had AL bodies? Or maybe just the first series?
WeirdDogGuy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 3nero » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm still lurking in this thread and still liking the build.
I was planing on using VW lights on my arches aswell but after fitting the temporary trailer lights in roughly the same position I noticed how far back a following driver would have to be to see them. They are totally invisible within about 25 feet. Ok in normal traffic but in a stop-go traffic jam the guy in back would be guessing when i'm stopping. Your arches look to be roughly the same distance from the rear end as mine. have you had a chance to look at the trailer from the back in a car? I really wanted to fit the lights there but now i'm second guessing how safe they would be :roll:
Measure once, cut twice....throw away and repeat.
Image Image

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=55971
3nero
Teardrop Master

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks guys for the note: The Saab blew it's turbo and big end bearing at the same time. One of my favorite cars till it died. How did you know I had a saab, that must be at least 7 years ago? :thinking:

Nero you're right about having a blind spot, so I've some additional lights I'm adding under the deck at the rear where you would "normally" see the indicators and the right hand one will double up as a fog lamp. If I was to do it again, I'd use standard trailer lights; the work making pedestals, fiberglassing and sanding was very time consuming. (a month extra or so)

I did most of the wiring tail lights and the lenses are now on. After planning to use spade connectors but I just soldered the wires together and used the heat shrink plastic to insulate the bare wires.
Just need to connect up the main 7 way wire to the plug that connects to the car.

In the mean time here is the wheel arch video. I've screwed and glued the mudguard to the body. It seems pretty solid.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 am

WeirdDogGuy wrote:I thought Landys had AL bodies? Or maybe just the first series?

The main panels of the land rover panels are AL but the chassis and bulkhead are steel and not galvanized out the factory.( Why not??? it's the biggest bug bear of the land rover. It can be retro fitted but is a major job and can take years. (a hour if you watch it done on tv.)
As I'm not planning on showing it at a car show, I live on a farm and it is a landy of course. I'd rather drive the thing around and do odd improvements over time.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby WeirdDogGuy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 pm

grantstew8 wrote:Thanks guys for the note: The Saab blew it's turbo and big end bearing at the same time. One of my favorite cars till it died. How did you know I had a saab, that must be at least 7 years ago? :thinking:

I was rummaging around the archives and I stumbled on it. Orange and black. I always wanted an early series so I could refab the bodywork to look like the 92001 prototype. Very, very sweet lines on the 92001. I know where there is one parked behind a shed in Colorado but I'm not sure which series it is. I'll probably end up with it eventually.

The main panels of the land rover panels are AL but the chassis and bulkhead are steel and not galvanized out the factory

What the hell? Very short-sighted esp considering your climate!

GL with your build. Andy
WeirdDogGuy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 3nero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm

After watching the video i still want those lights, i also want a bettle number plate light on the back.

I had the same problem with my arches, I taught i would have tons of room for the wheel, but my arches cruved in towards the tyre. I had to trim most of inward curve off to get the wheel on :cry:

Looking really nice now, you'll be camping soon :applause:
Measure once, cut twice....throw away and repeat.
Image Image

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=55971
3nero
Teardrop Master

Postby grantstew8 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:38 am

As Nero said, when up close you can't see the lights on the wheel arch/mug guards/fenders
I've added lights below the chassis (teardrop shaped) and they act as indicators and the right one has an additional set of LEDS so is a fog light as well.
The number/licence plate holder in the middle of the galley hatch if a motorcycle number plate holder and includes a brake light and also a light to illuminate the plate/positioning in the dark.

The photo below shows the additional lights relative to the VW beetle tail lights. The wheel is off the ground so I could work on the wiring underneath the TD without losing weight or having double jointed elbows and wrists.
Safety Third....it is jacked and propped with an axle stand. :)

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:56 am

The tail lights are wired up and work.
During testing one of the wires came off the battery and it made it look like there was a wiring fault. Fortunately I noticed before I ripped apart all the good work I'd done.

What next?
Must do:
Tongue box
External lights and galley hatch lights
Annealing aluminium for the wheel arch curves
Electrics on the RAV4 for the towbar tail lights
Buy a Mattress
Refit the Internal lights and switches after painting

Nice to do
Lock for the internal cupboards so they dont open during the journey
Galley hatch lift rods and ceiling
Locks for galley hatch drawer sliders so thing don't move around

I saw this and thought "I WANT THAT" I've got some dimensions to see if it will fit in the galley. It's 240V and a "real" fridge.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 am

The corner stands/jacks/supports at the rear of the TD have been added to help stabilize the back end. I used countersunk stainless bolts so if I put something down on that surface it was flat. My main concern was wasting a beer :beer:

The video is really shaky, I'd been doing sit ups sorting out the jacks and was a tad knackered...sorry

Work is progressing with the Landy. If you're bored by it, ignore this video.

Trying to get nuts and bolts undone is proving a challenge as rust is a major factor. The process is: spray with WD40 and similar penetrating oils, try the big spanner, try heat, then the universal spanner comes out. (angle grinder).
I'm replacing them all with stainless and using copper grease.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 12, 2014 8:29 am

I don't mind the LR coverage at all, but do keep working on the TD, please. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Planned to go on our maiden trip on the 2nd June.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:38 am

More landrover stuff....Replaced the rotten dumb irons. It was pretty straight forward. Next job is to get the foot wells replaced.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 20, 2014 8:48 am

That's what we call a good old "thrash". Get'n it done. Rolling your sleeves up and having fun fixing something 'cuz it needs fixin'. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals