"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Got another color in the cabin tonight, installed the 6 small warm white LED pods (2 on each trolley top ceiling section, and one on each side of the fan) and got the RGB strips installed in their recessed aluminum housings.

The RGB strip below the front window....

Should be able to get the last color in the cabin tomorrow night, work on the wiring for the roof-top solar panel, and then maybe get the roof top skin attached. Wishful thinking! :twisted:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri May 02, 2014 12:36 pm

After thinking a lot about how I was going to get my solar panel wires through the roof and hatch skins to the charge controller, I decided to KISS and use PV panel junction boxes. If you aren't familiar with solar panels, these boxes are normally used on the back of the solar panels, where the lead wires from the actual solar cells are tied into the heavy gauge solar panel wiring. They have diodes in them to protect the solar cells from back-current from the batteries. Since my solar panels already have similar boxes with diodes, I'll just remove these diodes and mount these over holes that will be drilled in the exterior skin. A couple screws and some adhesive caulk will do the trick. I saw some people used actual deck grommets made for boats, but they were relatively expensive for what you get. These little junction boxes were only $5 each. They'll hardly be noticeable because they'll be underneath the solar panels.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun May 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Got a lot done the past few days! A ton of wiring is done, although the power center isn't installed yet. For now, all the LEDs are just being tested with a temp lead wire. The wires to the roof-top solar panel have been run, and the one section of roof skin is installed. Also got my Maine license plate and registration! And as of this afternoon, the entire roof is read for skinning.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Everything looking, but one thing caught my attention more than anything.
Are you getting new TV? :thinking:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun May 04, 2014 10:27 pm

ryuandwings wrote:Everything looking, but one thing caught my attention more than anything.
Are you getting new TV? :thinking:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I HATE to give up my tank, although I've been tossing the idea around. Even went for a test drive yesterday.

When I say tank, most people laugh. But my Outback is a sedan (which most people dont even know existed) with a 3.0L H6 rated around 250hp/250ftlb. I've lifted it 1-1/4", swapped the rear springs for Rallitek overload springs, and have a handful of other minor mods done. I LOVE my tank. It has its aesthetic flaws due to some off-roading and camping, but mechanically its solid. Last weekend going to Virginia Beach it turned over 150k. For a Subaru with a timing chain, this thing is still in its infancy. I'm the second owner and as I've already mentioned, I LOVE the tank! It has power, it has comfort.

But after 5 years, I'm mildy tempted to move on. :oops:

This is the longest I've had a car, but I've been eying up the Crosstrek XV's since they were released. They only have about 150hp, so thats a bit depressing, but the gas mileage is quite lucrative compared to my thirty H6. I test drove one and the CVT will take some getting used to compared to my 5EAT, but its no deal breaker.

I'm sitting on the fence as I type, but I might be soon falling off of it. :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Mon May 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Zach, you're making great progress.

How do you like the little LED lights in the ceiling? Where did you get them?
:thinking: They look similar to Aqua Signal LED Livewell Bulkhead and Accent Courtesy Lights I have in an Amazon.com wish list to use in my TD.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks Steve! The led pods I have are the same I used on my last build. Got them from SuperBrightLEDs.com.... http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... chrome/26/
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Mon May 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Ugh, I hate tinning wires...
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Good solder and a good iron make it pretty easy!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 am

I might have missed it somewhere, but do you have a link to the strip lights you used?
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

Gunguy05 wrote:I might have missed it somewhere, but do you have a link to the strip lights you used?

The aluminum housings and frosted lenses came from here..... http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... using/889/

And the RGB strips came from ebay (aka China). I get the 5050 RGB LED waterproof strips with 300LEDs/meter. Similar to this.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-5050-RGB-Wat ... 3a85e4d297

You'll have to cut the RGB strips to length and then solder wires on them. The strips can be cut wherever you see the 4 contacts on the strips. Kind of tedious, but it can be done. I still have a couple strips to cut and solder, so I'll take some pictures.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Great news tonight! Now that the roof is skinned, I could set the fan on top and actually try to get it out of the garage.... and it fit!!

Ok, so its a bit tight, but that weatherstrip is pretty flexible and won't cause any problems. And theres still quite a bit of weight to be added to the trailer.

After I puttied all the nail holes on the roof, I cut the narrow roof panels and got all but one installed before I called it a night.

Still have the front and side skins to cut, but its getting closer and closer to being ready for paint!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:27 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Great news tonight! Now that the roof is skinned, I could set the fan on top and actually try to get it out of the garage.... and it fit!!

Like a glove!

You planned it that way right?? :shock: :o :thumbsup:

Looks great. I can wait to see thins thing rolling down the road. The design is sweet!
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 am

Gunguy05 wrote:Like a glove!

You planned it that way right?? :shock: :o :thumbsup:

Looks great. I can wait to see thins thing rolling down the road. The design is sweet!

Um... yeah.. we'll go with that. :thinking: :lol: :lol:

Thanks! Picking up a new tow vehicle this week too, which will go quite nicely with this new camper :twisted:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 pm

if it gets to tight just let some air out of the tires.

That trailer is very very cool looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals