"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 12, 2014 12:36 am

:o You are amazing. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ryuandwings » Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Nice TV!! :thumbsup:
Is Subaru manufacturer hitch design to go into what seems like a punch-out panel right above you hitch?

I like that Subaru decided to use the roof rail that looks similar to older Outback's on Crosstrex. I was thinking about getting newer Outback, but I really don't like the roof rail/cross bar they use on newer models. :x I can't use the accessories I already have...
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 13, 2014 2:04 pm

S. Heisley wrote::o You are amazing. :)

Thanks Sharon :goodmorning:

ryuandwings wrote:Nice TV!! :thumbsup:
Is Subaru manufacturer hitch design to go into what seems like a punch-out panel right above you hitch?

I like that Subaru decided to use the roof rail that looks similar to older Outback's on Crosstrex. I was thinking about getting newer Outback, but I really don't like the roof rail/cross bar they use on newer models. :x I can't use the accessories I already have...

Nope, the Subaru factory hitch comes out right where most of the other hitches do. That plug above the hitch is actually for a rear fog light in the European version. For those who don't know (or are imagining regular fog light facing backwards) rear fog lights are common in Europe. Its just a really bright red light, similar to the intensity of a brake light. Its literally there for driving in heavy fog conditions.

There is a hitch that actually uses that knockout though - a TorkLift Invisi Hitch. It was twice the cost of the Curt hitch I installed. Not worth it in my eyes, but some people may want that "extra clean" look. I use the hitch so often that I just couldnt justify the extra cost.

The roof rails on the Crosstrek are nice, and Subaru does offer either an "aero cross-bar kit" or a "round cross-bar" kit. I opted for the round bar kit so that I can use my snowboard and mountain bike attachments. I believe the Outback has the same option. :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed May 14, 2014 5:48 am

I've been following along for awhile now, but thought I'd chime in finally... Great build as always (your level of craftsmanship shows through every detail) Can't wait to see what the final paint scheme looks like... are you going to use Orange to match the new TV?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks Ned! I'm still working on a "final" paint scheme, but I do have a very basic design to begin with - 95% of the trailer will be plain white, with some black trim and orange pin stripe around the bottom. I don't want to use a lot of orange and have it clash with the TV, so I'll keep it fairly limited. I'd like to have that ready for the first few outings (three camping weekends in a row in June), and then come back with some other graphics when things settle down a bit.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Maiden Voyage is exactly 3 weeks from tonight!! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.... :oops: :shock: :? :frightened:

Got the rear sections of exterior skins on tonight. I wanted to trim them in place so I tossed the hatch on the trailer with 1/4" spacers at the top and bottom to make sure it was aligned correctly.

Here we see the skins glued and nailed, prior to positioning the hatch and trimming.

Hatch still in place just after trimming...

Once I pulled the hatch back off, I removed the 1/4" spacers that have been on the end grain of the walls since way back when I was trimming the interior skins. And this is the end result of the design.

The weatherstrip will be on the "endgrain" faces. When the hatch closes it will sit between the walls and the hatch skin will seal against the weatherstrip. A few people have been skeptics of this galley seal design since I started building 4 years ago, but I will stand by it. If it didn't work, I'd do something else. Building with sandwich walls allowed for a bit more refined design than my previous two builds, but the principle is identical. If that Cliffnotes explanation didnt explain it well enough, then wait until I get the weatherstrip installed and you'll see. KISS.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri May 16, 2014 8:20 am

My buddy came over last night and we dropped the axle to install the side skins. The X-Cubed is now resting quite comfortably on its two rear swing-down stabilizer jacks and two regular jack stands in the front (still need to install the front stabilizers, but that isn't priority right now).

After we dropped the axle we attached the skins and routed them out with a flush trim bit. I love routers. :twisted:

View of the front, looking up...

Still need puttied and sanded, but I'm leaving for the beach tonight for a bachelor party weekend. :FNP

Thankfully next weekend is Memorial Day Weekend, so I have 3 days off work, and no plans other than trailer work and a cookout. Crunch time!! :twisted:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

Routers are fun, and flush trim bits make so many things easy, but I always hate how loud they are. :?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 16, 2014 9:04 am

Kharn wrote:I always hate how loud they are.

Kharn, Take care of yourself.

Dispossible ear plugs

Nice progress Zach. :thumbsup: You are truly showing your design and build skills on this one. Nothing wrong with XI and XII, but the 3rd time is a charm. :thumbsup: True art is making it look easy building fast and "tight".
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri May 16, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks KC! This third one has really been fun to try out some new building techniques, and I do believe I'll agree with you that the third time's the charm!

Oh, and I whipped together a quick Photoshop of the "final" initial design.

I wanted to keep it simple to start out with (maiden voyage in 3 weeks) but this also leaves a pretty much blank canvas for some other ideas I've been tossing around. The black trim mimics the trim on my new Crosstrek, and the orange pinstripe at the color transitions (kind of hard to see in the pic) will tie it together a little bit more.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Fri May 16, 2014 9:37 am

Great work! :thumbsup:

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:the "final" initial design.

I don't even know how many time I got to the "final" design. :lol:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 am

ryuandwings wrote:I don't even know how many time I got to the "final" design. :lol:

Yup! Mines changed a bunch already too! :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 20, 2014 8:59 am

No pictures from last nights progress, but I'm very happy to report that the entire exterior is skinned, trimmed, and puttied!!

Tonight I need to narrow down the locations for the tail lights and side markers. Then I just need to sand, primer, and paint! :twisted:

Oh oh... and my mattress came yesterday! Nothing special... another 4" Spa Sensations mattress from Wal-Mart, just like my other builds.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Tue May 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Where do you find sheets for a 4" queen mattress? All of ours seem to be for a 12+" thick one so I'm not sure how well they'd work.
Which putty did you go with? I'm thinking Smith's Fill-it for mine.

You're in the home stretch! :thumbsup:
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue May 20, 2014 4:10 pm

I just get regular sheets and tuck the extra underneath.

The wood putty I use is Elmers Probond. Good for interior & exterior. Although if you use it to patch spots areas that are too deep (more than 1/16" or so) you will get some shrinkage.

In corners where it isn't ideal to shove in wood putty, I use DAP Alex Plus paintable caulk.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals