the Wiley Window and a simple DIY "leak proof" door

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: cheapest windows possible, the Wiley Window

Postby Bantam » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:32 am

What about cutting a slot under the window opening and fitting a metal drip flashing?
Bantam
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:08 am

Bantam wrote:What about cutting a slot under the window opening and fitting a metal drip flashing?

Because it adds complication and does not have any advantage. You still need to seal all of the wood anyway, and then you would have to seal the flashing to the sealed wood. The wood is the weak link, and the flashing does not change that fact.

What you have drawn actually creates a pocket below the weep hole/flashing slot where water can collect if it gets by the flashing.

Just saying.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bantam » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 am

I think with a bit of work , it would be better than a few weep holes.
Bantam
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:30 am

Agreed. It could work just fine. You could even line the vertical sides with flashing. Use copper and solder all the seams; that would be cool if you used a steampunk theme with copper throughout.

It would be more complex to build than coating everything well with epoxy and making sure the weep holes are adequate and kept clear.

Is there a problem with the weep holes? Did I miss something?

Don't get me wrong. I frequently make things more complicated than they need to be if I see a logical improvement that solves a problem, makes something perform in a worthy fashion, or just has an aesthetic appeal. I'm just not seeing that here.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Wiley window. They are simple. It's nice that they can be ajar or fully open by removing the pane; a screen can be added without blocking the opening function from the inside; you will never gouge the wall of your camper due to the door swinging open with the window open (as has happened to some with outward opening windows); but I just don't like the way the frame juts in even if it does not typically interfere with usable space. They just don't suit my eye.

:whistle:

Oh well, that's what is great about this hobby. We can each have it our own way! :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

cheapest windows possible, the Wiley Window

Postby grantstew8 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:49 am

KC is right: dealing with weep holes are the yang of the low cost yin. Although I've not implemented this yet a thin rubbery seal attached to the wood that is compressed when the window is closed to guide most of the water to a "main" weep hole. I would still install all the weep holes as Scotland and rain are synonymous. My windows are round so I thought the seal would be circular at the top and below have a shape similar to he lower half of a heart shape. The pointy bit with a weep hole below it. I may detail the weep holes on the outside by drilling the hole, sealing it and then gluing in a brass eyelet, like the ones used in leatherwork. It will make them look "official" rather than holes in the door. I'm sure stories will develop over time that they are breathing holes, a 3d CCTV camera system or a steam punk locking mechanism. :)

One advantage of a Wiley window is that the opening can be any shape that is smaller than the pane of glass. The glass is the cut to a standard rectangular shape. Use that design yin to its advantage!
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Re: the Wiley Window and a simple DIY "leak proof" door

Postby rowerwet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 pm

list of builder examples
Mary C used the wedges to support a curtain rod
Eaglesdare proving that you can make any shape window an openable one with a wiley window
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu May 22, 2014 1:22 am

this leaves lots of room for new ideas and old

Here is a metal one further down this page.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... -in-WB-215

I have an idea of one that folds up hinges left and right and bottom!

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 am

I'm ready for the next step, screens....Note the amount of slope on the bottom of the door cutout and window frame....

oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 pm

http://teardropbygary.blogspot.com/2012 ... chive.html

I am back and forth between windows bought and made.

One of my thoughts was to cut the window size to the size that the bought window comes and then put the Wiley window over the hole and if it failed take it off and put in the bought one.

My other trailer is on it's last legs and on the way home from IRG it took part in a car accident. the car was worse then the trailer. But I may take off the windows on that trailer and put them on this one. But there is not hurry.

My new thinking came from the picture above and I realized the Wiley window could be made as an insert, build the unit to the size of the hole and the frame on the outside holding the screen would stop. The attachment would be screwed threw the sides of the hole and into the door. If my design failed I can remove it undoing the screws and replace it with the bought window.

In fact if any of you wanted to start making them to sell you could do so as an insert just like regular windows. :thumbsup:

mmm I smell birthday cake wife made it for me today my birthday was yesterday. ;)
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby 123jay » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:12 pm

I realty like the windows .Thank you for the write up
401/2"X 48" open tailgate bolt together army kit around $450.00
If the world did not suck ,you fall off!
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:http://teardropbygary.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

I am back and forth between windows bought and made.

One of my thoughts was to cut the window size to the size that the bought window comes and then put the Wiley window over the hole and if it failed take it off and put in the bought one.

My other trailer is on it's last legs and on the way home from IRG it took part in a car accident. the car was worse then the trailer. But I may take off the windows on that trailer and put them on this one. But there is not hurry.

My new thinking came from the picture above and I realized the Wiley window could be made as an insert, build the unit to the size of the hole and the frame on the outside holding the screen would stop. The attachment would be screwed threw the sides of the hole and into the door. If my design failed I can remove it undoing the screws and replace it with the bought window.

In fact if any of you wanted to start making them to sell you could do so as an insert just like regular windows. :thumbsup:

mmm I smell birthday cake wife made it for me today my birthday was yesterday. ;)
Ron

The more I look at that picture the more it looks like a license plate bracket. What if you made a wiley window out of a bracket and then to "close the curtains" you dropped an old plate in front or behind the pane of glass? Might look cool if it was done right!
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:26 pm

you might want to put a few in each door, the amount of area a plate covers is small, and the screen cuts the airflow in half.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:54 pm

I am thinking of installing a removable screen from the inside. So if it gets damaged it is ez to replace. has any of you made your screen removable or are your permanent.

And do you make it a little higher on one side so the water runs to the weep hole? and how big is the weep hole 1/4 inch or smaller?
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:11 am

I made a weep hole at each end, 1/4" is fine, just make sure the wood around the hole is not able to soak it up. Marine epoxy, 5 min. epoxy, or even GPW's "the mix" as given on the first page of the big thrifty thread. Very little water will get inside anyway under most conditions.
Those who have made removable screens seem to mount them from the outside, an inside mount with a frame could also work. Are you looking to mount an A/C there?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hartse25 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:19 pm

What are some options for the "glass" in the windows? Are they readily available at local big box stores or ordered someplace on-line? Are they easy to work with, can I cut to size if needed without special tools?
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques