Muircockhall Build Log

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Muircockhall Build Log

Postby grantstew8 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:00 am

Thanks KC.

We took the old girl out on a bumpy road, our drive way, and everything seemed okay. With the front done, I checked the rear end of the chassis and was able to push my finger through the rust.
After my son's final exam today he has a summer project starting with removing the rear body. When that's off we can then check the extent of the rust and decide whether to buy a half or quarter chassis replacement.
If the truth be told, if it's really bad we may just bite the bullet and get a galvanized chassis.

Unlike the teardrop project, this has the potential to grow arms and legs.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Yes, but it is an awesome learning experience for a young man, and the fact that you are giving your son so much responsibility on the project, while still staying involved, is something that will be indelible. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:59 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400957869.453998.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400957869.453998.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

Tested the lights and need to do a little diagnostics but I'm delighted by the overall look of the td and tv.

The landy is probably 6 months to a year away from being finished.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby StockCube » Sat May 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Looks very smart. :applause:

Have you been away in it yet?
StockCube
Teardrop Builder

Postby capnTelescope » Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm

StockCube wrote:Looks very smart.

+1

Good job, Grant.

Quick! While it's still hooked up; go somewhere, camp, have a good time and report back.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby StockCube » Sun May 25, 2014 5:13 am

Aye, get on with it! The weather is erm, well, Scottish.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650732
StockCube
Teardrop Builder

Postby grantstew8 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:29 am

Next weekend we'll go on a maiden voyage.
The electrics were sorted in about a minute. A scotch lock was not connecting. I may post a short video, I have manic week ahead.

I started the build in June last year and we'll go on the first trip in June. For the sake of a week or two it's taken a year.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:35 am

Wiring up the TV for towing was dauntiung, I'd read that newer cars require by-pass so the drain on the electrics don't cause other problems.
The by-pass was about £14 and was a doddle to install. Finding the right wires was the challenge. The wire comes out the bulb as a green wire, goes into a connector and is a red/yellow wire the other side. From that point of view it's complex but do-able. You need to use a multimeter to check. My MM did not react quickly enough for the 12v indication pulses so I went to the bulb (shown in the video) and used a scotchlock to add a wire. It worked.

When I grew up in Zimbabwe there was a word we used meaning a tangle of wires; "jum-bee-li". Trust me a few cable ties sorted out that jumbeeli.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:46 am

From the outset, I was interested to see if the design was going to match the "thing I built;" of course the proportions of the teardrop match the drawing but I was interested in the proportions to a RAV4.
I'm genuinely delighted. The CAD drawings don't have a wide angle lens (bend) but it's about right.

Thanks again for all your support over the year it has taken to build the TD. This is a particularly positive forum. I've just joined other forums for the Land rover and they tend to be a little more "snippy" and "sneery". I've really liked being able to ask a dumb question or post something without someone having a go. :beer: :beer:

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:27 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401654179.487996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401654179.487996.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

Glorious sunshine in Crail, near St Andrews, Scotland. Raised a few eyebrows en route and have had the first tour on our first day.

Maiden trip and so far so good

We used extending paint roller poles to support the galley lid.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby mallymal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:32 pm

If there was a prize for colour coordination, you would win first prize! The tear, the umbrella, the chair, the clothing of the person in the chair, et, etc !

Hey great tip with the extendable paint pole... Very lightweight but strong. I shall add that one to my virtual scrapbook :thumbsup:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby pchast » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:10 pm

A year to completion is very good. It looks good too.
Well Done.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:32 am

Very nice! Congratulations on your maiden voyage! :applause: :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Transit80 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Well done Grant,where next??? :applause: :applause: :applause:
I still have a long way to go.

Chris
WED BERRUM EXUM TAE
Transit80
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Did a test run before we went out on the trip. Less than a mile. A repetitive clonking noise emitted from the TD. Stopped and looked; nothing underneath, nothing hanging down, everything looked okay. The little jockey wheel could have been the culprit so I used a bungjee chord and tied it to the chassis. Another hundred yards and the noise persisted. Pulled over again and thought perhaps it's a bearing so pulled off the plastic wheel trim. Viola, 3 of the four wheel nuts were loose, really loose. It was sheer luck I did not lose a wheel and rip a fender off. I remembered wanting to paint the rims and had left the nuts loose. :goodnight: Then I was given plastic trims so I'd just pushed them on without tightening the nuts. :oops: :oops: If you're an NCIS fan, This needs to be added to the Gibb's list. Rule 99 When you put a wheel on, always tighten the nuts.

We had two tours of the TD while on the camp site. The folk were a little shocked initially by the size and colour. Everyone said they liked it and were amazed it was built not bought! I did not tell them that I've spent less than £600/$1000 making it. Sara has fallen in love with it and we're planning the next trip already. The weekend in question I have a meeting in Glasgow so Loch Lomond, the Borders or somewhere in that neck of the woods.

There are a few things that need to be tweeked, but nothing major, I'm delighted to say; A handle or two here and there.

The weather in the video below looks ominous, but it was dry other than a short downpour. St Andrews is always a pleasure to visit; Golf courses, The University where Prince William attended and of course loads of tourists.
I should remember to add the touristy videos too.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals