Mosquitoes

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Mosquitoes

Postby reeac » Thu May 22, 2014 9:17 pm

I found a mosquito repellant that works really well. It is made of all natural ingredients and smells good also. It's called
No-Bite-Me I've been using it and haven't been bitten yet. A little goes a long way.
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mosquitoes

Postby Chinookered » Sat May 24, 2014 8:17 am

Good to know!

I have found that a drop or two of straight vanilla extract (Yes, the kind in the baking isle at the grocery store) dabbed onto your forehead, neck and forearms will keep gnats out of your face. Which in some places when the breeze dies down is absolutely priceless.
If they don't find you handsome....
Chinookered
Teardrop Builder

Postby GerryS » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:25 pm

How long does an application last?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby reeac » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Gerrys
I'm not sure of which application you are asking about but the No-Bite-Me has lasted as long as 7 hours and as little as 4 hours depending on what you are doing. You can tell it's wearing off when they start getting in your face again.
reeac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Good to know on the No-Bite-Me, I will have to see if it is something that I can use. I can't use deet and some of the perfumy ones, but I really like the Cutter's Advanced made with Picaridin.

I have also had good luck with Vanilla Extract and odd as it may sound Listerine Original mouthwash (I hate the smell of it though!) The only trouble with them is that it seems like I have to renew them more often. Plus I am a bit nervous about using the vanilla in bear country -- don't want to smell too tasty!! :o

As far as altitude and high country, I camp almost exclusively in areas from 7,000 to 11,000 feet high. The mosquitoes can be really thick up there, depending on the time of year. If you are going into the high country, don't forget your spray!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MarkusMasonis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:59 pm

A dryer sheet in your pocket can really help thin down a swarm. A bug jacket is pretty nice to have too.
MarkusMasonis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:23 am

We will try the dryer sheet....I've read that elsewhere....

The only bug jacket I have is for my bee yard :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:58 pm

When my twin and I travel tropical we use the Avon Skin So Soft Bath product and it works :thumbsup: well for us. I have a girlfriend who uses the dryer sheets with great success. She usually ties one on her shoelaces, and in the scrunchie of her hair tie. You never know until you try.....but I am going to try the vanilla extract myself to see how it works for me.
Joanie
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Verna » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Joanie, put the vanilla extract in a small spray bottle--it makes it easier to use. I also spray it on my hands and wipe my dog down with my hands. It keeps the gnats and Mosquitos off of her, too.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:21 pm

A buddy of mine, who had been in the army years ago and said that was what they issued him, swore by Skin So Soft and kept some in his golf bag. I used it a couple of times while out playing and it did seem to help. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm pretty sure Avon SSS has always had lemon eucalyptus in it, and that is now an acknowledged mosquito repellent.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:04 pm

There is a huge amount of repellant mythology and one of the aspects ignored is that the original skin divers prefer particular blood types, mine O positive is one of them :thumbdown: One thing I learned in original research I have done is that you need quantitative (lots of responses) rather than qualitative (few responses more depth).

http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/mosquitosite/repellents-for-application-to-skin
"Repellents with the best track records include the following: DEET, Picaridin, IR3535, and oil of lemon eucalyptus (PMD). The three non-DEET compounds each seem to work as well as or nearly as well as DEET when they are used at higher concentrations (20%)."

A very interesting labratory study, bassicaly how long does it take for hungry unfed female mosquitoes to bite a treated arm.
http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band150/b150-6.html
The IR3535 at higher concentration may rival DEET at the same concentration.

The how to test, World Health Organization (WHO). If the study does not follow these guidelines at least in part you need to doubt its validity.
http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2009/WHO_HTM_NTD_WHOPES_2009.4_eng.pdf

20% DEET or 20% IR3535
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby qft » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Old post, but I have something to contribute - taking Vitamin B1 daily will help keep mosquitos away, and if you're going to be sitting around (and it's not too terribly windy) a Thermacell apparently works wonders (you can buy it on Amazon)
qft
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:19 am

Tried a Thermacell (dead air) and it was overcome by tasty blood. Did not seem to do anything. :thumbdown:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby qft » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:32 pm

That's unfortunate. I lifted the suggestion from a Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/co ... _alive_by/
qft
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Camping Secrets