CNC Build: The Bed and Breakfast at 4 years and 40,000 miles

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CNC Build -- Odds and ends

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Looking good Cap'n. We had quite a lot of that wet stuff. It's been so long since we've seen it I forgot what it was called. Regarding the jacks, I'd just use a few 2X blocks. I keep a stash in my tongue box (of blocks).
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: CNC Build -- Odds and ends

Postby capnTelescope » Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 pm

aggie79 wrote:...I'd just use a few 2X blocks.

That would work. :thumbsup: I might even attach a couple permanently & give it a bigfoot.

I had been thinking to cut the jacks off at the ankle and weld in a piece. :scratchthinking: When your favorite new tool is a welder, everything looks like a welding opportunity.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- More Odds and ends

Postby capnTelescope » Fri May 30, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm getting real close to running out of excuses for not assembling this Teardrop.

I've put the fence post paint on the bottom of the floor:

I cut out the openings in the front bulkhead for my return air grilles...
which left me with a pair or really nice looking cutouts. I don't know what I'll use them for, but they're too nice to toss...
and, of course, the grilles fit nicely in their new home:

I also cut pockets into the aft bulkhead for the hatch hinge blocks.

I am going to put about a quarter inch furring strip between the trailer chassis and the floor bottom. One of my cross members is sticking up on one end. It's too high to grind off, and I don't really want to cut the weld and try again. "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing less than perfect." At least, that's what they said at one of the many Time Management seminars my bosses were always sending me to. Were they trying to tell me something? :scratchthinking: I'm sure glad I don't have to race the rats any more. :D

I'll start assembling this weekend. Anyone that wants to stop by and help, or watch, or get a laugh or two, PM me.

Stay tuned! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Assembly begins

Postby capnTelescope » Sat May 31, 2014 7:53 pm

capnTelescope wrote:I'm getting real close to running out of excuses for not assembling this Teardrop.

So here we go!

My neighbor kindly helped me get the floor turned over and up on the trailer. I went around the floor and drilled some screw holes with a simple template:

With that done, all excuses were gone. First step is to raise one wall and attach the aft bulkhead. Getting ready:

Now that the wall has the b'head to help it stand up, locate the front edge of the floor to the wall:

Fit things up, glue and screw:
I'll spare you a pic of driving the screws coming up from the bottom. :)

I had to step back and admire:
:P

Repeat the process for the other wall. I had been watching the sky to the east, got a raindrop on the lens,
and decided it was more important to get the tear back inside than to take a picture of the other wall. :rainy:

Once I got things indoors, I realized i had left out an important step, and squeezed the front b'head into its groove.
Had to take out a few screws in front and get out the Big Hammer, but I won. :thumbsup:

Now I've got a nice space in front for A/C and electrical and even some storage:

At this point, heat and humidity got to me, and it was time to cool off and re-hydrate. :beer:

Thanks for stopping by! More to come, so stay tuned.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby GuyllFyre » Sat May 31, 2014 8:09 pm

capnTelescope wrote:Repeat the process for the other wall. I had been watching the sky to the east, got a raindrop on the lens,

Do I spy a red VW Jetta?

That would be the better tow vehicle to plan for.
At least, in my opinion.
My tow vehicle is a 2001 Audi B5A4 Quattro 1.8 Turbo.
Of course, there's been some upgrades...
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Sat May 31, 2014 8:11 pm

It has begun! Hopefully with all the prep work it will go pretty quick. :thumbsup:
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 pm

GuyllFyre wrote:Do I spy a red VW Jetta?

Nay. The Assistant Tow Vehicle is a '08 red VW Passat 2.0 turbo. :D Showroom stock. It goes. I can't tell Passats from Jettas on sight without reading the trunk lid. :lol:

The Passat turns out to be a particularly unsuitable offroad ride. Say no more. Nudge, nudge. Maybe I'll make a teardrop for it, too. Smaller, lighter, lower, redder. :twisted:

RandyG wrote:It has begun! Hopefully with all the prep work it will go pretty quick.

I think it will go pretty quick. About all that's left that isn't started is cabinetry. And a/c. And tongue box. And ...

Should be campable pretty soon. :thumbsup:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:03 am

Cap'n,

Your teardrop is looking great! To me, it was a great motivational boost when the walls were stood up.

capnTelescope wrote:I think it will go pretty quick. About all that's left that isn't started is cabinetry. And a/c. And tongue box. And ...

Should be campable pretty soon. :thumbsup:

Actually, you're almost campable now! All those other things are just details. On our first outing, just the shell, doors, and front and rear bulkheads were complete. There was no electrical, cabinetry, A/C, trailer registration, etc. (Actually there still is no trailer registration. I just swap tags from my utility trailer.)

If I don't see you sooner, I'll see you at LCG.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: CNC Build -- Assembly continues

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:00 am

aggie79 wrote:To me, it was a great motivational boost when the walls were stood up.

I'm seeing that same effect. The vision is starting to materialize right in front of me. :thumbsup:

:x :fb I was almost done with a nice long-winded post, when I hit the "X" while switching tabs. It's gone. All gone. :frustrated: :throw PC:

So y'all get the executive summary instead. You're probably glad and don't know it..

Not as much progress to report, as I had to take care of a couple of pressing issues

I did some design work on the front compartment, to accommodate my grand plan for the a/c, shown in dark blue.:
resulting in the part you see in green. FYI, I measured the designed-in tilt of the a/c unit as 3 degrees, as shown.

They go here:

The headboard side of the front b'head is looking pretty spiffy, IMHO.

Got a little wiring done. Here's the a/c outlet for the a/c. :? also a closer look at my awesome new part.

The bottom of the cabin cabinet was already cut and finished. I just laid it in so I could have a shelf.

Ditto in the galley.

I spent some bucks on lumber for the cabinet faceplates, so that should get done next. After that, I'm not far from skinning this beast.

Thanks for stopping by! I think I'll go have a stiff one. :beer:
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Assembly continues

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 am

Looking good! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Cabinet face frames

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Today was Cabinet Face Frame Day. Got the frames cut, stained, assembled and poly-ed for the cabin and upper galley cabinets.

A long time ago, ...
tony.latham wrote:... and your shop is too clean.

and
capnTelescope wrote:I only clean up the shop for pictures!

Then i posted that picture, and then capnTelescope asked, "How's that pile of stuff on the right for you, Tony?" :lol:

The lower galley cabinets are still to be done, but need some design time. Today's two are the ones I need done before I do ceiling, attic and roof. :scratchthinking: I'm wracking my brain on what else MUST go before.

These are the first face frames I've made using the Kreg Jig. I've done several over the years with real live half-lap joints. What a PITA! The Kreg system is so much faster and easier. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby RandyG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 am

I still haven't gotten a Kreg yet! I drill through the stiles and screw into the rails.
Nice grain on those by the way. :thumbsup:
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 am

RandyG wrote:I still haven't gotten a Kreg yet!

I got mine to rebuild the big gate at the end of my driveway. It's been there for going on 4 years and doing fine. You need to get with the modern times. The Kreg makes a whole bunch of jobs easier, or even possible.

RandyG wrote:Nice grain on those by the way.

Thanks, Randy. I spent quite a while picking out those boards at HD. More nice wood to come!

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Galley under counter design/build 1

Postby capnTelescope » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:11 am

capnTelescope wrote:The lower galley cabinets are still to be done, but need some design time...

... so, that's what I worked on today. My plan for under the counter includes a pullout for the cooler, pullout for the stove and oven, small water tank and plumbing, battery, shore power and ac/dc wiring, some drawers and a cupboard. We'll see just how much I can fit in this 5-pound bag.

I started off with the cooler pullout, 'cuz that seemed the easiest. Also, I want to work from the ends to the middle. That would be because the size of the cooler (right) and stove/oven (left) are known. everything else has to fit into what's left.

Step one was to see how much floor space the cooler needed:
The top of the cooler is larger than the bottom, so I turned it upside down. That black box thingy is my water tank.

Next was to lay out all the stuff that has to be there:
Tray side, drawer slide, clearance from the stile, and the stile. Same for both sides.

It turned out like this:
I'm really questioning my decision to use that 2-by for slide support. seems to me it takes up a lot of floor space.

There's also a lot of dead space between the cooler tray and the wall. There's just enough room at the top.
I could narrow the end stile by 3/4", use 1-by slide supports and gain the width of one 2-by, :thinking: Yeah, I think I'll do that. Tomorrow. I've also got an idea how to get more space at the top, not that it neeeeeds it.

And the piece de resistance, cooler tray fully extended!

I have been wondering just how this was going to look. :NC Now i know. :thumbsup:

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Galley under counter design/build 1

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:23 am

Nice cooler! :lol:

Any reason you didn't attach the glide directly to the base of the wall (or a shim for clearance)? Seems to me there is already adequate wood there, so why add any more than necessary?

I guess I figure to let the tray take the whole space, and if I need to keep the cooler centered on the tray (so the taper/top part does not rub) I will use small cleats at the base of the cooler. That way I may still be able to store small things along the base of the cooler (?... all in theory, since I haven't gotten to the part about building the tray yet).

Still looking good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals